HSS wiring will this work 500K hum 250K single coils

What's Hot
kipplekipple Frets: 373
edited December 2021 in Making & Modding
I want to wire a strat so it is HSS and I would like the Humbucker to see 500K and the 2 single coils to see 250K.

I saw this diagram and I think it is what it is meant to be doing.
I believe the diagram originally came from John Suhr.

Can someone take a look at this diagram please and tell me if this what I need to do to acheive 500K hum and 250K singles 
I need a simple yes or no type response please as I am not very techy I'm pretty much painting by numbers here..
I have all the parts shown in the diagram

https://i.imgur.com/KxmS72H.jpg
I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Yes, but it's slightly unnecessarily complicated.

You actually only need one of the resistors. Remove R2 and R3, and connect one 470K from the input of the 250K tone pot (the upper terminal in the drawing) to ground.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kipplekipple Frets: 373
    ICBM said:

You actually only need one of the resistors. Remove R2 and R3, and connect one 470K from the input of the 250K tone pot (the upper terminal in the drawing) to ground.
    OK thanks

• kipplekipple Frets: 373
    edited December 2021
    ICBM said:

I tried the mod and it worked very nicely.
    I changed one thing which was removing the 150K resistor that sits over the 680pf capacitor as it sounded better at least to my ears when I roll the volume back. Without the 150k resistor the sound is brighter/ has a bit more bite when rolling the volume back.
    The humbucker now sounds like I would expect it to and the single coils also retain their character. I thought it was a pretty good mod really   

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    kipple said:

I tried the mod and it worked very nicely. 
    I changed one thing which was removing the 150K resistor that sits over the 680pf capacitor as it sounded better at least to my ears when I roll the volume back. Without the 150k resistor the sound is brighter/ has a bit more bite when rolling the volume back.
    The humbucker now sounds like I would expect it to and the single coils also retain their character. I thought it was a pretty good mod really   
    Yes - it's one of those 'subtle but not so subtle' improvements because it optimises the load for both types of pickup without needing to actually change the pot values.

It's a lot better than the nonsense Fender do with dual-gang 250K/500K pots effectively in two 'loops', which maximises switching noise and potential unreliability, anyway!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom