Marshall Amp Beer Box Amp

What's Hot
Some of you might have spotted this in the 'Amps that put a smile on your face' thread... well, this one was meant to .

Before Christmas a friend gave me these Marshall beer boxes. Although they were empty by that point!

(For those not familiar, Marshall sell beer - it's made by a small brewery in Scotland, and comes in these cardboard boxes - eight cans in the head and sixteen in the cabinet. I haven't actually tried it...)

At some point in the conversation the idea of what would happen if it was possible to fit a real amp and speakers into them came up, and when I mentioned I had an old 8" speaker baffle from a Squier 15 amp which looked just about the right size to fit into the cabinet box, it was too tempting to resist! I decided to have a go over the holiday.

Sure enough, it was very nearly a perfect fit. I did have to trim one end down slightly, but the height was exactly right anyway. A quick test with a Celestion (what else?) Eight-15 jammed in showed a major problem, which was that the cardboard flaps which form the bottom of the box did in fact, flap - horribly. So the first job was to glue them up firmly. Then the baffle was glued into the box - I decided to leave the cardboard 'grille cloth' intact as I didn't want to spoil the appearance, and cardboard is actually fairly transparent to sound anyway.

The jack is the only clue from the outside!

I tested it with my Peavey, and it sounded not too bad, considering it's made from cardboard! Albeit rather, er... boxy . Actually, it reminded me a bit of a cross between Mick Ronson's Ziggy Stardust cocked-wah tone, and Brian May's 'Deacy' amp which he used for all the layered sounds on Queen records - quite a reedy sort of sound.

So then the next problem was the amp - I had intended to put a little basic amp kit or something in there, with just a jack on the front and control it all from the guitar, but when another friend also gave me a broken Marshall MS-4 (the little plastic toy stack thing), that also seemed like too good an opportunity to miss, given that it's an actual Marshall... my original idea was just to put the whole thing inside, but then I realised that the spacing of the four knobs wasn't too far off the graphic on the box, and the little knobs were almost the perfect matching size too! So, after a surprisingly small amount of work with a hand drill and a taper reamer, the insides of the MS-4 and a couple of spare jacks were transplanted to their new home, with a battery tucked in - the flap design is the same one that caused trouble in the cabinet, but here is useful.

Citrus - gain, Riffs - volume, Sparkle - tone, Brightness - on/off. The point of the drill wandered slightly making the LED hole but it's not too bad...

And... finished!

So what does it sound like? Well, inspired by the sound, here's my appalling playing with a bit of Ziggy and some random noodling...

"Just the beer light to guide us" D 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2v1814zjvg3c7th/Beer Box Amp.mov?dl=0

Terrible! Although in an interesting way. A lot of that is due to the limitations of the tiny 0.5W amp, but I also suspect that cardboard isn't quite as transparent to sound as I thought when you're down at that sort of power level. I think it sounds better than the MS-4's original speakers though - not as buzzy.

One of the biggest problems is that the cardboard head box is so light that it falls off the top of the cabinet unless you use a right-angled lead and make sure it's properly supported... I think I might have to use some velcro, or just tape them together. But just a bit of fun really - there was surprisingly little work in the whole project, in fact - probably only about an hour overall, spread over a couple of days.

So there you you have it! Amped Up Lager boxes, actually amped up .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Quality work as ever :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Love that :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 781
    Tone on tap ! 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Superb!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Awesome.

Doesn't sound fizzy, at all?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74475

Doesn't sound fizzy, at all?
    I think I might have left it too long… the boxes had probably been open a couple of weeks before I got round to it - it may have gone flat.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    maharg101 said:
    tap
    Speaking of whom, shouldn't the controls go up to eleven?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.