Emma Raducanu

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16280
Hope I am wrong but i sometimes wonder if this wee lassie is gonna be a one hit wonder

Time will tell I guess
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16463
    maybe, but as hits go it's as big as it gets. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    Even if that's all she ever does it's still more than any brit has done for a long time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16280
    ^ Yup
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74389
    I think she may have problems with anxiety, if you remember what happened at Wimbledon last year. If so, she's probably very keen not to burn herself out trying to do too much too soon. She's still young and has plenty of time.

And she will always be the first qualifier ever to win a Grand Slam tournament.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I think that people talking like that puts more pressure on her. She is what she is and I'm sure she will be the best she can be, whatever level that is. She doesn't owe anybody anything. Sure us Brits would love to see her winning a lot but she owes us nothing and has already given us an incredible moment. Thanks Emma!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1379
    I look forward to reading a post from someone that has achieved more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    Winning a slam so young, she may not have been prepared for it and was swept along with the unreality of her progression in the tournament.

Now she's had the chance to stop and think it may have caught up with her. 

She's still very young and very inexperienced, and she will have to work out how to cope with a life totally different from the one she expected at this stage of her career. But I'm sure she will, she's got that difficult first slam out of the way and the pressure that comes with it. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15376
    tFB Trader
    I hope she goes on to have a good 5/10 year career with a few more titles - She does come across as well balanced and likeable

But women's tennis now for many years is littered with players who have won 1 title and disappear - Most of us could not name 2 players currently ranked in the top 10 - I just checked and only knew Barty - Very little longevity in women's tennis these days, for whatever reason 

Off topic to a degree but look at men's tennis - The big 3, Nadal, Rog and Novak - All have done more in the game after the age of 30 than anyone else - Borg, Lendl, Connors, McEnroe etc etc all just about retired before 30 - Granted the whole diet, fitness etc has changed today - But Rog, Nadal, Novak were all making a big impression as teenagers and winning big tittles in the early 20's - Where are the next generation, or indeed the generation over the last 10 years , of 18-22 year olds who should have put these guys to bed and taken over the mantle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6223
    She's an absolutely kick arse young woman and I think she's going to have a stellar career. There is a big emphasis on the young there and it's great to see her putting her needs as a priority and not the huge pressure she must feel to bring more success.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16606
    I'm sure we'll see a lot more of her although perhaps not at the fore again for a couple of years but I have no doubt that she will mature into a very big name player.
  • I hope she goes on to have a good 5/10 year career with a few more titles - She does come across as well balanced and likeable

But women's tennis now for many years is littered with players who have won 1 title and disappear - Most of us could not name 2 players currently ranked in the top 10 - I just checked and only knew Barty - Very little longevity in women's tennis these days, for whatever reason 

Off topic to a degree but look at men's tennis - The big 3, Nadal, Rog and Novak - All have done more in the game after the age of 30 than anyone else - Borg, Lendl, Connors, McEnroe etc etc all just about retired before 30 - Granted the whole diet, fitness etc has changed today - But Rog, Nadal, Novak were all making a big impression as teenagers and winning big tittles in the early 20's - Where are the next generation, or indeed the generation over the last 10 years , of 18-22 year olds who should have put these guys to bed and taken over the mantle
    Yeah I was thinking something along those lines, aside from Serena Williams few female tennis players seem to last at the top for more than a few years. 

I think Raducanu has a game a bit like Garbine Muguruca, in how she pushes her opponent from the baseline with a lot of power in their games.
    For the latter, it seemed to have a huge impact on her knees, and a few surgeries later she's not the same player as she once was. 

IMO I have a suspicion managing injuries is a massive part of tennis, as obvious as it might sound.
  • I hope she goes on to become one of the all-time greats, but there are no guarantees.  You just need to look at Pam Shriver, who reached the final of the US Open as a 16 year old amateur, beating Navratilova in the semi, but never reached another major final.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    I hope she only plays for as long as her heart is in it.

• Seems like a lovely person - almost too good to be true.

Personally as a non tennis fan I can only hope that she can find it, in her obviously good heart, to take the hem of her skirts up just a teeny, weeny, windy bit. Please Emma?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6936
    Seems like a lovely person - almost too good to be true.

Personally as a non tennis fan I can only hope that she can find it, in her obviously good heart, to take the hem of her skirts up just a teeny, weeny, windy bit. Please Emma?
    Is this a bit creepy or am I over sensitive?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13888

Steady Jeffrey!
  • merlin said:

No, it's just creepy. 
    merlin said:

No, it's just creepy. 
    yup, it's waaaay creepy, but smelly is more than a bit of a bellend.

flagged, bellend.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4209
    edited January 2022
    merlin said:

In any sane universe asking any woman, especially one who’s probably young enough to be your daughter, to ”show a bit more leg” is more than a bit creepy.
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."