How do I remove these connectors

What's Hot
kipplekipple Frets: 373
edited January 2022 in Making & Modding
I need to remove two of these type connectors they are the type that have the pinkish plastic/rubber ish covering on th end that looks like a shovel shape. How the F%ck do I remove then they just will not budge and I don't want to force them and break anything 
https://i.imgur.com/Mz9Tmz2.jpg
I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    Yes, they are "spade connectors" just as you find on speaker wiring, in cars, on washing machines, etc.  Usually very gentle side-to-side wiggling while holding the body of the connector is the way to remove them.
  • kipplekipple Frets: 373
    edited January 2022
    BillDL said:
    Yes, they are "spade connectors" just as you find on speaker wiring, in cars, on washing machines, etc.  Usually very gentle side-to-side wiggling while holding the body of the connector is the way to remove them.
    They will not come off no matter what I try. There is a small pin in a hole inside holding them in place, It's some kind of locking tab/pin but I cannot figure out how to disengage the locking part

• Do you have to slip a tiny flat-ended screwdriver into the spade and hold down a pin for them to slide out?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9127
    Will the plastic covers pull back exposing the metal?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Spikeedog said:
    Do you have to slip a tiny flat-ended screwdriver into the spade and hold down a pin for them to slide out?
    Nope I tried that and unfortunately they will not come off 

Spikeedog said:
    Do you have to slip a tiny flat-ended screwdriver into the spade and hold down a pin for them to slide out?
    There does not seem to be anyway to do that as the plastic covers are in the way and they are very rigid and they will not move out of the way.
    The actual connectors I need to remove are on the circuit board so I need to be careful not to cause any damage by putting too much pressure on the connectors as the leads are fron the mains tranny. I'm trying to change the amp from 230v to 240v byt don't look like it's going to happen anytime soon

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    kipple said:
    I'm trying to change the amp from 230v to 240v
    Why? The change should be well within tolerance.

+10% = 253v
    -6% = c. 217v

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited January 2022
    kipple said:
    I'm trying to change the amp from 230v to 240v

+10% = 253v
    -6% = c. 217v

The amp is set a 230v and just to clarify are you saying setting it at 230v is within tolerance ? I read comments the ideal is 240v and if the amp is set at 230 it can cause premature wear of components and tubes etc. I read ICBM comment on this so thought better safe than sorry. 
    I am not techy enough to know the science behind what are considered optimum operating conditions but I assume they do exist and when someone such as ICBM say's 240v is ideal.... I don't fancy any failures of any sort if they can be avoided

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Some spade connectors look normal but actually have a little latching pin that needs to be squeezed before the spade connector will come off. I don't know what amp you are working on so don't know if it's the case for yours. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    edited January 2022
    UK voltage from the mains should be 230 volts, doesn't that mean the setting is right?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    davros said:
    UK voltage from the mains should be 230 volts, doesn't that mean the setting is right?
    240V ... so the amp set for 230 is running higher than it should be. A modern SMPS amp would self adjust for this but a valve amp with a linear transformer can't ....Everything will be a little less stressed if the amp is set for 240V
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited January 2022
    Got the connectors off ..
    Improvised and used a dental probe that I bent with pliers so it was right shape to do the Job
    https://i.imgur.com/pewLN5r.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/qWwW7tU.jpg

Danny1969 said:
    davros said:
    240V ... so the amp set for 230 is running higher than it should be. A modern SMPS amp would self adjust for this but a valve amp with a linear transformer can't ....Everything will be a little less stressed if the amp is set for 240V
    Thank you... there is no way the voltage in my house is ever 230v its normally a bit higher than 240v sometimes closer to 250v  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Funkfingers said:

+10% = 253v
    -6% = c. 217v
    Because the amp will run at its designed internal voltages and power dissipations, and put less stress on the components. While it will *tolerate* being run over voltage by that amount, especially in the short term, it's not ideal in the long run and could cause components to fail prematurely.

It's a worse problem with valve amps than any other type of equipment commonly used now, because they're almost unique in stepping *up* the incoming mains voltage, rather than down. (A valve amp typically operates at 400-500VDC.) The power dissipation of components is related to the square of the voltage, so makes more of a difference when the voltages are higher than when they're lower.

Some voltages are referenced to a fixed lower voltage which is independent of the supply, too - the usual example is low-voltage rails derived from higher ones using Zener diodes and resistors - often used for low-voltage supplies for channel switching, reverb etc. Because the lower voltage doesn't also rise, the power dissipation in the resistor then increases disproportionately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom