Please provide feedback on why a thread is closed.

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
edited January 2022 in Help & Feedback
I spent 20 minutes typing a reply to the valid comments made in the thread about a particular European country, explaining the irrationality of it and ending with a funny clip from stand-up Dylan Moran talking about the very thing I was referring to - only to find the thread had been closed, with no comment why.  It's very frustrating.  Please can you add a comment (or an entry in the interventions thread) that explains why a thread is being closed.  At the moment, I don't really know whether mine was closed because the subject matter - irrational fears - was deemed unacceptable, whether there was an avalanche of flags, whether the last reply was considered an ad-hom or whether it was none of those and just a "Ooh, this might go off the rails, let's shut it down just in case".

If the rules are not explicitly laid out in fine detail like a legal contract (which is clearly a ludicrous proposition) then the only way anyone can know where the lines are is when they get feedback to say why what they've said is considered to have crossed the line.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    The usual explanation is "thread closed whilst modmin team decide what to do".

It then invariably stays closed.

I understand that (a) the modmin team have lives (some of them anyways) and (b) the above explanation is a useful way of letting things just calm down, but just closing with no comment is another step away from the original principle of transparent modding.

:(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    The ones I see getting closed seem to be the contentious ones you start - perhaps thinking about "why am I posting this" might help.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    As @mrkb says, the opening post was contentious, and the thread was beginning to receive some aggressive responses. So it was closed pending moderator consideration. We have decided to let the thread run. 
    TTony said:
    ... the modmin team have lives ...
    ... and life got in the way for a few minutes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It's usually fairly obvious to be honest. Although many years ago I had a thread closed the second I started it by a rather sensitive mod. It was a joke Bonamassa mag cover, and I was told "I think we've had enough JB bashing". 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited January 2022

Please provide feedback on why a thread is closed.

Normally coz it’s one you started…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It was a shit post that was at best deliberately antagonistic, and at worst openly racist - or xenophobic, if hairs really need to be split. Just because you think a thing doesn't mean you need to post it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    TTony said:

but just closing with no comment is another step away from the original principle of transparent modding.

Of which you are no longer involved with…

so stop criticising!…
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's because you start threads which are polarising. You're either trolling or are crashingly insensitive to how divisive they are. For whatever reason you start them, in my opinion you're better off doing that on Facebook where bullshit like that belongs,  rather than a guitar forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    I spent 20 minutes typing a reply to the valid comments made in the thread about a particular European country, explaining the irrationality of it and ending with a funny clip from stand-up Dylan Moran talking about the very thing I was referring to - only to find the thread had been closed, with no comment why.  It's very frustrating.  Please can you add a comment (or an entry in the interventions thread) that explains why a thread is being closed.  At the moment, I don't really know whether mine was closed because the subject matter - irrational fears - was deemed unacceptable, whether there was an avalanche of flags, whether the last reply was considered an ad-hom or whether it was none of those and just a "Ooh, this might go off the rails, let's shut it down just in case".

If the rules are not explicitly laid out in fine detail like a legal contract (which is clearly a ludicrous proposition) then the only way anyone can know where the lines are is when they get feedback to say why what they've said is considered to have crossed the line.
    The thread was closed while we discussed it, we just forgot to put a note on there (which would've just said "Thread closed after a bunch of flags", as per usual).

For the record, you were warned a couple of months ago that we'd run out of patience with your shock-and-outrage threads because they cause bad feeling throughout the forum (presumably by design, since it happens so often and you keep doing it), and we've explained this to you on a number of occasions - especially your style of, "Chuck a grenade over the fence and watch what happens" followed by a post a couple of pages in claiming innocence and how you've been totally misunderstood, which just pisses everyone off even more. You promised to stop doing it, and - lo and behold - here we are a couple of months later, with you doing it again. This is basically the most epic, slow-burning Rule #1 breach that has been in progress for years.

The time differential was due to us discussing whether we should break the usual progression of sanctions on your behalf, since you've already had the maximum number of cooler stays; at that point, our only remaining options were a) a full ban, or b) pleading with you to stop it one final time so we can avoid banning you, because we really don't want to.

TTony said:
    The usual explanation is "thread closed whilst modmin team decide what to do".

It then invariably stays closed.

I understand that (a) the modmin team have lives (some of them anyways) and (b) the above explanation is a useful way of letting things just calm down, but just closing with no comment is another step away from the original principle of transparent modding.

:(
    That almost never happens. In this case, there was no comment because I distracted Roland before he could do so, with a discussion on what to do about it. As a result of that discussion, the thread was reopened and the note was changed to a warning not to let it get out of hand (mainly because our memories aren't what they were and we couldn't initially find the above warning, and action wasn't justified without it).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair to @Emp_Fab , I didn't find his post racist, just a little strange ?

"I don't know about you but I have a hard time completely separating modern-day Germany from the unbridled evil that was the Third Reich"

That's your opinion of course, and you are entitled to it, like my mine with the Farty Towers...."Don't mention the war".

“Ken sent me.”
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    edited January 2022
    I think what they are sayin' Emp is if you don't stop being naughty you are gonna get Drew'd, and Jeez man, you have had fair warning
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Emp_Fab said:

Are you having some sort of breakdown?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    It's because you start threads which are polarising. You're either trolling or are crashingly insensitive to how divisive they are. For whatever reason you start them, in my opinion you're better off doing that on Facebook where bullshit like that belongs,  rather than a guitar forum.
    So what you're suggesting is that people should only openly discuss topics that they are sure everyone else will already agree with ????  Is that your notion of a forum ??  That talking openly about a subject that everyone might not all agree on is to be avoided at all costs because no-one is able to have an adult discussion and express their viewpoints without screaming abuse at each other ?

Has it really come to that ?   :/
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's because you start threads which are polarising. You're either trolling or are crashingly insensitive to how divisive they are. For whatever reason you start them, in my opinion you're better off doing that on Facebook where bullshit like that belongs,  rather than a guitar forum.
    So what you're suggesting is that people should only openly discuss topics that they are sure everyone else will already agree with ????  Is that your notion of a forum ??  That talking openly about a subject that everyone might not all agree on is to be avoided at all costs because no-one is able to have an adult discussion and express their viewpoints without screaming abuse at each other ?

Its a guitar forum...... with a social aspect. As Vasselmayer said - post to your mates on Facebook or down the pub if you want to engage people in 'edgy' topics. Do you sit down next to strangers on the bus and ask whether they have fears of other countries and expect a sensible conversation?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    mrkb said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Its a guitar forum...... with a social aspect. As Vasselmayer said - post to your mates on Facebook or down the pub if you want to engage people in 'edgy' topics. Do you sit down next to strangers on the bus and ask whether they have fears of other countries and expect a sensible conversation?
    I've been told that when I sit down on the bus, I'm the stranger. Or possibly the strangest.

One of them anyways. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Anyone who gets on a bus *has* to be strange.

Its a requirement.

Its why you need a ticket to get on - they don’t let any old ornery person on.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.

•  We have recently just got rid of one obnoxious Dick, don't you be the next.
    and secondly I'm from Germany - Hamburg. I am mainly on this forum to talk and discuss guitars.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:

No it's because you constantly create threads written in a excessively polarised manner which stirs up conflict. 
    I'm sure it's not your intention, but they usually read like the editorial of a Daily Mail columnist. Tailor made to stir up shit and create an argument. 
    If you genuinely don't understand why the way you phrase things causes this to happen I suggest you lay off posting on contentious topics. 

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to explain. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

•  We have recently just got rid of one obnoxious Dick, don't you be the next.
    and secondly I'm from Germany - Hamburg. I am mainly on this forum to talk and discuss guitars.
    I love Hamburg, been there a few times over the past years. Great live music 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Bring back facepalms. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom