Please provide feedback on why a thread is closed.

What's Hot

Comments

• GillyGilly Frets: 1123
    poopot said:
    Gilly said:

I got coolered just for lol’ing one post (which other people also lol’d by the way).

Nothing to do with the abusive DM’s you sent then? :astonished: 
    That was prior to the rules update. And I seem to recall you being just as abusive, just like you’ve subsequently been with other people, seemingly without any consequences.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    This place... sometimes.... I just... oh well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'm not sure this is the time, the place, or the circumstance to drag up prior rules breaks and sanctions.. 

That route leads to only one destination.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Shrews said:
    If people think somebody is a troll, then why respond to their posts?
    Unfortunately human nature is such that "Just ignore trolls" doesn't work.
    One of the success factors for a troll is being able to draw people in before they realise they’re being suckered. The most arduous parts of moderating is having to read through the threads to understand what was actually going on.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    Shrews said:
    If people think somebody is a troll, then why respond to their posts?
    Unfortunately human nature is such that "Just ignore trolls" doesn't work.
    One of the success factors for a troll is being able to draw people in before they realise they’re being suckered. The most arduous parts of moderating is having to read through the threads to understand what was actually going on.
    I'm so glad you've said that.

One of the real challenges moderating this forum is reading through a thread that has been flagged multiple times and understanding what the hell is actually going on.

I would say a good third of my time moderating is spent working out what the hell is happening
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I'm not sure this is the time, the place, or the circumstance to drag up prior rules breaks and sanctions.. 

Rhyl?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Rhyl?
    Crikey no - not that bad!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited January 2022
    ... and it’s always in threads that have very little community value. We did think about just closing Off Topic threads which received multiple Flags, just to cut down on the work. However that just gives the Flag Trolls more ammunition. How many Flags have we had so far this year which effectively say “mummy, mummy, I can’t win this argument so I want you to close it!”
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15925
    edited January 2022
    I'm 57.  I come from a family where open discussions were the norm - anything and everything could be talked about, viewpoints aired, explanations offered for those viewpoints and sometimes opinions would be changed as a result - sometimes not.  All of this would be without animosity and without feeling attacked or offended when your own viewpoint was queried.  I've always found it very educational and fascinating to try to understand others' views - and the more they differ from mine, the more interesting it is.

tae be or not tae be
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    edited January 2022
    ^  You are Phillip Larkin & I claim my £5
    Edit: Hoots edit kind of buggered up my joke. Never mind   :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• wouldn't be so bad if contributions were made to other areas of the forum... Drew was a massive bell end at times but he posted helpful and useful stuff elsewhere... yet we're left with emps trolling????

and as winnie pointed out... he's done it again... started a ruck and pissed off.
    This. 
    And anyone that thinks Drew was protected by the mods…well that is dwarfed by the carte  blanche afforded to Emp by the modmin team. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:

I'm not an idiot - I can see the responses are largely critical of me and I'm genuinely sorry if my insensitivity has caused trouble.  Despite the entrenched conviction of some that I'm trolling and relish the trouble, I genuinely hate it when my threads go awry, I honestly don't want to be the spark that ignites yet another flame war.  Anyway - I'm sorry.  I clearly have more to learn about what is considered an acceptable posting style on here.

And there it is...

I bloody knew that was coming. "Me?" What did I do wrong?" hand-wringing bollocks. If you are really TRULY honest about learning, then next time you start a post just think to yourself "Is this adding to the value of this place" and the answer isn't overwhelmingly "Yes", then don't.

Me...I doubt it. You've got plenty of previous for this kind of shit and I predict we'll see another one coming soon. Trolls gonna troll.
    He’s the modmins golden boy. In that they will never can him, despite being up to the limit of cooler visits and warning etc etc. 

They think he will do something to himself without the forum as a way to vent his passive aggressive rages. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    @professorben ; Where the hell have you been hiding ?? :D:D
  • @professorben ; Where the hell have you been hiding ?? :D:D
    I’ve actually been posting every single day in the making music section.  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Strangefan In reality I needed to sell a pedal, clicked on a thread while I was here, realised the poster was wrong about something and well…
    you know how it goes. 

Im only here long enough to execute an effective flounce. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Strangefan In reality I needed to sell a pedal, clicked on a thread while I was here, realised the poster was wrong about something and well…
    you know how it goes. 

Im only here long enough to execute an effective flounce. 
    You don't enjoy any level of modmin protection, so I'll probably can you before you can get an effective flounce in anyway.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    edited January 2022
    It must be very tough for the Modmins because this place obviously means a lot to Emp - even if it’s just a reliable outlet for trolling. I’m not saying that’s the case as I don’t read enough of his threads to form an opinion ( If I’m honest I actually thought Emp was a Modmin construct when I first joined designed to get the post count up )

Emp has also talked about his vulnerabilities on here which makes a ban a big move for the Mods who may feel a degree of responsibility (wrongly imho but we all see things differently)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm 57.  I come from a family where open discussions were the norm - anything and everything could be talked about, viewpoints aired, explanations offered for those viewpoints and sometimes opinions would be changed as a result - sometimes not.  All of this would be without animosity and without feeling attacked or offended when your own viewpoint was queried.  I've always found it very educational and fascinating to try to understand others' views - and the more they differ from mine, the 
    Essentially you are saying "I'm sorry that you people are all incapable of discussing controversial topics".

That's clearly nonsense . The thread on "open relationships" is clearly extremely controversial and yet it's gone relatively smoothly.
    The problem is partially the subjects you choose and mostly the way you post about them. It's clear you struggle to recognise when you are doing this so lay off the controversial subjects. 

Coming to the conclusion "Everyone else has a problem and not me" is not going to result in a positive outcome.
    I agree with @monquixote ;;We are (mostly) more than capable of discussing controversial things on here, the open marriage thing being a good example. It’s more the topics that you chose Emp; they often seem deliberately provocative, whether intended or not. If it’s supposed to be a discussion then there needs to be views from all sides brought in, not just one. You often seem to take a stance that you can’t be shifted from, no matter what anyone else says or what evidence is offered up. 

• wouldn't be so bad if contributions were made to other areas of the forum... Drew was a massive bell end at times but he posted helpful and useful stuff elsewhere... yet we're left with emps trolling????

and as winnie pointed out... he's done it again... started a ruck and pissed off.
    This. 
    And anyone that thinks Drew was protected by the mods…well that is dwarfed by the carte  blanche afforded to Emp by the modmin team. 
    This is actually not true. It's definitely the same as Drew's perspective, but...it's still not even close to being true.
    <space for hire>
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I thought Emp was a comic creation, like Karl Pilkington or Nigel Farage.

Based on recent posting actually a fusion of both those characters.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom