Please provide feedback on why a thread is closed.

What's Hot

Comments

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    Sorry to ask but who is Drew? I don't recognise the name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    S56035 said:
    Sorry to ask but who is Drew? I don't recognise the name.
    @WiresDreamDisasters aka Drew. 

Currently on a break according to his profile ( I had thought he was an ex member now, apparently not?). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2022
    Emp_Fab said:
    "Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t."
    Jordan Peterson PhD (2018)

@Emp_Fab, I was having a chat with an health care professional and fellow tFBer, someone way more academically qualified than me, about reasoning with people.  We agreed that emotion can not be argued with logic, which is what can lead to conflict.  We also agreed that there are those that believe an argument is an opportunity to learn, share knowledge, develop understanding and possibly develop personally. The flip side of that is that there are people who look at an argument as a thing to win no matter what logic or evidence is laid before them: it does not matter that quality of the evidence or that the other party's expertise is of a high standard, because it disagrees with their initial statement, they refuse to accept that there may be someone in the world who knows more than them.

Which camp do you believe that you fall in to?

I'm a little wary of answering this as it sounds like a trap, not least because I think I've made it clear already.  I'll bite though....  absolutely I'm in the second group.  I have no desire to 'win' an argument and every desire to understand others and, specifically, where their opinions differ from mine, how have they come to hold those opinions.

I agree you can't argue emotion with logic but only the most intransigent would continue to argue in the face of solid logic, and even then they may well be convinced by your argument but their ego will not let them publicly admit defeat.
    No mate, it wasn't a trap.  Thank you for your response.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    Oh right. How do you get known by your actual name rather than your screen name?
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    S56035 said:
    Oh right. How do you get known by your actual name rather than your screen name?
    We just know, John. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    S56035 said:
    Some of us have been here (and on earlier versions of this place) for nearly 20 years.
    You get to know people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035 said:
    People on here have actually met or had online discussions.  There is even a Fretboard video conferencing facility where members have got to know each other.

We are actually a very social group. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited January 2022
    S56035 said:
    Sometimes it’s just through the classifieds - presumably if I sold you something the parcel wouldn’t be addressed to @S56035 although it wouldn’t be good form to then start using that name willy nilly in the main forum. Drew was quite open about who his was and getting publicity for his band whereas many of us have chosen anonymity. 

S56035 said:
    People on here have actually met or had online discussions.  There is even a Fretboard video conferencing facility where members have got to know each other.

We are actually a very social group. 

Indeed I have met Handsome Chris. 
    ‘Just call me Handsome’ he said. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited January 2022
    S56035 said:
    His screen name used to be DrewFX also
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    edited January 2022
    S56035 said:
    He occasionally posts on the Fractal Forum as AndyTNBD and is respectful and courteous on there - not sure why he was so different on this forum.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    S56035 said:
    He occasionally posts on the Fractal Forum as AndyTNBD and is respectful and courteous on there - not sure why he was so different on this forum.
    I think this that tFB  is looser than other forums in its moderation style.  This has the benefit of allowing people to communicate in a less regulated style then The Gear Page (TGP).  The flipside of this is that it allows people to post comments or discussions which many may find very emotive.

There are benefits to both styles of moderation.
  • mrkb said:

A quick look at his list of postings shows that they're exclusively in the on-topic areas.  IIRC, his on-topic postings here were helpful and knowledgeable.  The problems came in Off Topic and (particularly) P&E.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• S56035 said:
    Butt stuff. (_/_)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I used to like Drew, but he tried to buy my daughter and at some point you just need to draw the line. The lowballing fuck.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    S56035 said:
    Mostly through the Swingers and Doggers sub-group.   Let us know if you’d like to join, it’s by invitation only but we could do with a few new members ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Drew hasn't been the same Vietnam
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Indeed I have met Handsome Chris. 
    ‘Just call me Handsome’ he said. 

I also met @Handsome_Chris and he hugged me. That's how friendly we are here.

On a more serious note, there have been some brilliant jam days. Very supportive, with people of all abilities, playing together and even putting on an evening gig. It's generally a really decent place
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27340
    I'm new here.

What's a "Drew" and where do I find one? 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    TTony said:
    I'm new here.

What's a "Drew" and where do I find one? 
    He’s a bit like Voldemort……..  He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named ... B) 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    sev112 said:
    S56035 said:
    Mostly through the Swingers and Doggers sub-group.   Let us know if you’d like to join, it’s by invitation only but we could do with a few new members ;)
    I thought the problem was we had too many, erm, members and not enough... supplicants. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.