Doh- I’ve been an idiot

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
edited December 2021 in Amps
Ever just realise you’ve been an idiot?
Ive this one guitar that I love to play it sounds fantastic driven but really muffled clean. 
I kept having to swap eq settings on my amp and pedals when playing this guitar then swapping it all back again when I switched to the others, it was a right pain in the bum!
So much so I stopped playing it. 

This morning I moved my amp down off it’s perch and realised it’s only got a bloody pull bright switch on the volume pot!
tried it, yep just what this guitar needed. 
Doh. 

Anyone else overlooked a feature that could have saved them hassle?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    yep been there got the proverbial  - rivera chubster,  two push/pulls to fuck up
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    edited December 2021
    bertie said:
    yep been there got the proverbial  - rivera chubster,  two push/pulls to fuck up
    Mines. Kustom coupe 36, same designer I think? No wait, wrong fella. It was peavey he was at. 
  • it took me an embarrasingly long time to realise that using the tone control was OK. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Many times, I've played gigs and wondered why things weren't quite sounding right only to realise I'd knocked the volume control down!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I sold my JVM head not knowing that channel 3 and 4 were voiced differently. Never dawned on me that they would be
  • Many times, I've played gigs and wondered why things weren't quite sounding right only to realise I'd knocked the volume control down!
    That’s happened to me a few times and I’ve been nowhere near my amp
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited January 2022
    I was getting a terrible muffled tone at a gig once. Kept tweaking tone pots, changing amp channels, going through my pedalboard before eventually thinking my amp was screwed. Then the bass player pointed out my wah was switched on. FML. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    When i was younger, as soon as I discovered my amp had an off switch,  that cured the horrible noise I was making. 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1449
    boogieman said:
    Then the bass player pointed out my wah was switched on. FML. 
    Been there too: soldered a few patch cables, plugged them in and cried. Almost threw the wah out the window when I found out what was happening.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    boogieman said:
    I was getting a terrible muffled tone at a gig once. Kept tweaking tone pots, changing amp channels, going through my pedalboard before eventually thinking my amp was screwed. Then the bass player pointed out my wah was switched on. FML. 
    Yeah this, more times than I care to admit. Which is why I'm finally getting an LED fitted in my Wah.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1449
    ftumch said:
    boogieman said:
    Yeah this, more times than I care to admit. Which is why I'm finally getting an LED fitted in my Wah.
    I've changed wah since then. I've now got a yellow Morley wah/volume pedal that has an LED :)
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• boogieman said:

Yep. That happens more often than you think. Once I re-EQ'd the amp and the whole pedal board and wasted almost an entire soundcheck before I realised what was wrong.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    boogieman said:

Yep. That happens more often than you think. Once I re-EQ'd the amp and the whole pedal board and wasted almost an entire soundcheck before I realised what was wrong.
    Yup, been there too.!

Bough the Ernie Ball wah, that has an on / off LED :)
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    I was part-way through a gig wondering why I sounded so awful. The guys in band before me had borrowed my amp and left the mid-boost button on - something I never used. And I asked them ever so nicely to return the settings to where they were.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Was expecting this thread to be ..

"Had an opportunity to buy a boss katana and didn't..."
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021

"Had an opportunity to buy a boss katana and did"
    Fixed that for you.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670

"Had an opportunity to buy a boss katana and didn't say my good sir I will take ten!"
    Fixed that for you.
    Fixed it back ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7034
    edited January 2022
    My favourite guitar started sounding very muffled and muddy, and no matter how much tweaking of knobs on the guitar and amp I did I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  It was only when I started noticing a really repugnant stench coming from the amp that I realised my cat had crawled in the back and died.  True story?  Nope, obviously not, but I did once find my cat curled up sleeping in the back of my livingroom amp before I turned it on.

My main "Doh!" goof is when I set down my pedalboard, plug in the power supply, the cable to the amp, and the guitar cable, but get no sound at all.  After several minutes of unplugging and replugging cables and connectors I realise I haven't plugged the cable into my guitar that is slung around my neck.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I was once at a gig and the singer came and put his arm around me mid-song, at which point kaboom!, the lights went out, and the sound stopped.
    Well, I looked at the sound man's mains wiring and it was all to pot; there was even one cable with a 13A mains plug at each end which went to another with a socket at each end!
    I spent the next band practice re-wiring all of the mains cables.
    After that, I always touch my bass strings to the microphone when setting up.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    ftumch said:
    boogieman said:
    Ooooo I need this. Is it a diy job or who is doing this for you?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024