Any fans of Robert Plant's solo stuff? What's your favourite album?

What's Hot
RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
As per title. I really like a lot of his stuff and have my own thoughts, but I'm interested to see what others say. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    I've not really followed his solo career but I really liked Manic Nirvana back in the mists of time. Great album! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I did think that Pictures at Eleven was the best thing since sliced bread when it came out, The Principle of Moments as well. I think it would have been the Principle tour that I saw him on. But I’m not sure how well they’ve aged and apart from the first Alison Kraus collab I have mostly lost track. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    This thread is of interest.

I'm a massive Zep fan but have only heard his collaborations with Kraus which are great.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    Oh his solo stuff is just GREAT! I have most of it

It's why he keeps telling Pagey tae sling his hook.....Plant already has a career!
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    edited January 2022
    Band of Joy stuff and the Sensational Space Shifters stuff are a good place for noobs tae start
    tae be or not tae be
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Hootsmon said:
    Oh his solo stuff is just GREAT! I have most of it

It's why he keeps telling Pagey tae sling his hook.....Plant already has a career!

That's always been my impression.

Page was the driving force of Zep and has done little since but Plant seems to have continued to grow as a musician and doesn't need to live in the past.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Shaken 'n' Stirred is my favourite - it has some excellent bass playing from Paul Martinez.

Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar is a good 'un (it's Mississippi delta blues, with rock, some rockabilly, drums'n'bass, a bit of hippie, and African influences); I saw them at The Roundhouse, courtesy of Apple.

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Fate Of Nations is excellent 
    This video is so 1980s it even has Tawny Kitaen in it. But it would fit in the later stages of Zep’s catalogue certainly. 

https://youtu.be/n_7abjQe3J0

And one album on Robbie Blunt gets one of the greatest clean sounds, Bobby himself so much more relaxed into the role. 

https://youtu.be/FxSsol3Zd7k
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Raising sand is fantastic bit not a solo album

If you like rock music then Mighty Rearranger

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    I’ve not listened to all of it, I liked Mighty Rearranger and Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar. I think I need to dip back in.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    edited January 2022
    Thanks everyone. 

I think he's had different phases of his career, which is reflected in the records. 

From the earlier period, my favourite is Now and Zen- probably my first proper intro to him, as the lead single 'Heaven Knows' grabbed my attention when I was young and into Top 40 music. I think that record tends to get overlooked, but I think I read somewhere it's one of- if not the- top selling solo albums he's had. Pagey's solo on Heaven Knows really, really sings. 

He got a lot heavier and a bit more into his rock roots with Manic Nirvana- another great record. Doug Boyle in that band is such a great player. 

Fate of Nations goes into similar territory, but has mellower moments too- again another very talented sideman called Kevin Scott McMichael was his guitarist on that one, but sadly he died several years ago. I think some of Plant's best singing is on Fate and some of his most reflective songs. When he goes deep, he goes very deep (e.g. I Believe, about his little boy who dies suddenly). 

He did go quiet-ish after that. I'd say Mighty Rearranger from the 'comeback' period might be the best of the lot- for me it's a toss up between that and Zen... But Rearranger (and that's the tour I saw him on- one of the very last ever shows at Hammersmith Palais, in fact) is where it all comes together- socially conscious songs, knowing but warm references to the Zep heritage, the fascination and genuinely excellent working in of North African textures and rhythms, plus his voice held up really well- real whisper to a scream stuff. Great players there too- he had a twin guitar line up of Justin Adams (a really fine player, heavily influenced by arab music) and Skin Tyson (Cast- again a really top player). 

But really there's gems studded throughout the catalogue. A few duff tracks here and there, but I'd say Zen, Nirvana, Fate, Rearranger are my essentials, and then take a dip into the rest of it. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    edited January 2022
    @redlester has summed it up v well. I very much like Dreamland too. A lot of covers. 66 to Timbuktu is a good overview of his pre 2003 output with some pre Zep stuff too.

I also know Robert's output was famously influenced by a chance encounter with our own @EricTheWeary at a bowling alley. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @redlester has summed it up v well. I very much like Dreamland too. A lot of covers. 66 to Timbuktu is a good overview of his pre 2003 output with some pre Zep stuff too.

I also know Robert's output was famously influenced by a chance encounter with our own @EricTheWeary at a bowling alley. 
    Planty is a lot shorter than you think ( and not very good at ten pin bowling either). 
  • Timely question because I listened to Now and Zen for the first time in about 25 years today. I still like it, despite the very 80s sound - it took me back to a time when I didn’t have to worry about much apart from music and a bit of revision.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    This thread is of interest.

I'm a massive Zep fan but have only heard his collaborations with Kraus which are great.
    The 80's stuff was very "of its time". That said, I still really like Big Log.

After that, I'd say most of his albums are excellent. You only stream anyways @monquixote, so just listen to them all. Your time will not be wasted. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    ftumch said:
    I've not really followed his solo career but I really liked Manic Nirvana back in the mists of time. Great album! 
    Agreed, saw him do it live - stupendous !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited January 2022
    Fate of Nations for sure. Manic Nirvana is pretty awesome too. 

• ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    edited January 2022
    Jalapeno said:
    ftumch said:
    Agreed, saw him do it live - stupendous !

I was at Knebworth 90 and he was live there, I didn't know it at the time but he did some from the album then, Pagey was there too. I didn't know who they were at the time though :/
  • Redlester said:

Fate of Nations goes into similar territory, but has mellower moments too- again another very talented sideman called Kevin Scott McMichael was his guitarist on that one, but sadly he died several years ago. I think some of Plant's best singing is on Fate and some of his most reflective songs. When he goes deep, he goes very deep (e.g. I Believe, about his little boy who dies suddenly). 
    Francis Dunnery is on that too and played on the tour.  I think they’re still good friends.