Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blackbird Guitar Cabs - latest projects

What's Hot
BlackbirdCabsBlackbirdCabs Frets: 266
edited May 2022 in Made in the UK
Hi Fretboard users,

My name is Sam, and I've recently started up my own bespoke guitar cabinet business. My background is as a cabinetmaker in London, and after many years of indecision and procrastinating me and my partner have finally bitten the bullet and moved our lives and family down to North Devon.
I've taken the opportunity to re-focus my woodworking skills to something I'm passionate about - guitar cabs. There's something so cool about crafting an object that is going to be used and loved (as opposed to, say, a kitchen cupboard!), and the aesthetics of guitar amps is such a great tradition to explore and tinker with.
I know there are a handful of UK businesses out there doing something similar - I'm hoping there are enough amp enthusiasts, DIY kit builders, and woodwork admirers out there for me to carve out a little niche in the market.

Above is an example of my work - hopefully it communicates my love of timber and my desire to let beautiful wood be the star of the show. You can find more pics at www.blackbirdcabs.com.
That's my take on guitar cab design - but I can build whatever your imagination can dream up! My only caveat is that I don't plan on going down the Tolex or Tweed route. There are enough people out there doing that already, and doing it really well.

I'll be back in a day or two with a special offer for Fretboard users (I've been using the forum as a resource for guitar and amp info for a while now, so I already feel indebted!). In the meantime, check out the website if you get a chance and feel free to post any questions here or to me directly.

Cheers,
Sam

Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Looking good there Sam.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Good luck with the new venture :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated =)
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    you do realise its tradition that you have to send test samples to the first 5 replies
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18384
    bertie said:
    you do realise its tradition that you have to send test samples to the first 5 replies
    Helloooooo. Phew, just got in under the freebie ligging wire  ;)

@BlackbirdCabs  Only kidding Sam, much good luck with your new venture :+1: 
  • Looks very nice. Good luck with the new venture! 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    Welcome and the best of luck with this venture. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Good luck chap, hope it goes brilliantly.
  • Thanks all, this forum is such an oasis of genuine goodwill amongst the rest of the internet!
    I'm just doing some sums/head scratching and working out the best way to offer a worthwhile discount to the fretboard community - will be back in touch over the next few days.
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• BlackbirdCabsBlackbirdCabs Frets: 266
    edited January 2022
    OK, so how's this to go with your Friday afternoon sunshine................

As one of those non-members who lurk in the background, this forum has already been a really valuable source of knowledge for me, pointing me in the direction of amp builders, pickup makers, and general guitar info. It's also lost me many wasted hours reading entertaining waffle, but I'm willing to look past that.
    I'm keen to put down roots in the Fretboard community and would love to be able to start some projects with members here. Word of mouth recomendations via this forum would be such a bonus for me (as I can see they have been for other makers). Hopefully I can also be a helpful source of woodworking knowledge for those of you keen to put your own cabinets together.
    I also appreciate that I'm a new member here and as such I'm an unknown quantity.

With the above in mind I'm offering a 30% discount for Fretboard members for any commissions throughout January.

This could be to house a small head or a 4x12 midlife crisis - it could be pine, ply, walnut, zebrawood or whatever else we can get our hands on - get in touch and I'd be happy to talk through any inklings of ideas you might have for your set up.
    Go to the website for a bit of inspiration if needed!

Send me a message through the forum or e-mail me directly with your fretboard username if you're interested - I can get back to you with a rough guide to prices that way as well.

Cheers,

Sam

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is wonderful, best of luck, Sam. The speaker cabs look great.
  • vizviz Frets: 10646
    edited January 2022
    Timber Timbre, if you’re looking for a name 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 220
    North Devon is nice place to live, I'm just outside barnstaple. Where about are you (if you don't mind me asking). Good luck with the new venture :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Timber Timbre, if you’re looking for a name 

Maybe I'll save that one for my bespoke tambourine business, then I can really go to town: Timber Timbre Tambos
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDS said:
    North Devon is nice place to live, I'm just outside barnstaple. Where about are you (if you don't mind me asking). Good luck with the new venture :)

Hi KDS, I'm up in Ilfracombe, which on a day like today is amazing. Good to hear from a fellow Devonian (Devon-ite?) - I might get in touch further down the line, I'm still trying to get a sense of the music scene down here, it would be good to make some connections with other guitarists etc.
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• BlackbirdCabsBlackbirdCabs Frets: 266
    edited January 2022
    Afternoon folks,

This is just a reminder about my January offer: 30% off for Fretboard members.
    Thank you to those members who have been in touch already, it's much appreciated 
    Please do get in touch with any ideas you might have, I'm happy to chat through your particular situation to try and find a bespoke solution, even if it goes no further than a chat!
    Hopefully the following is helpful to those of you wondering where to start:

Want a beautiful hand built extension cab for your set up?
    https://www.blackbirdcabs.co.uk/speaker-cabinets

DIY builders - have your own guitar amp project that needs a bespoke cab?
    https://www.blackbirdcabs.co.uk/diy-amp-builders

Starting from scratch? Do you have a dream guitar amp in your head and wondering how to make it happen?
    https://www.blackbirdcabs.co.uk/unique-boutique

Love the sound of your amp but not how it looks? Or maybe your set up stops you playing as much as you'd like?
    https://www.blackbirdcabs.co.uk/revamp-your-amp

Cheers,

Sam
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• Just hours to go folks! Get in there before midnight to get your 30% discount.
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PM incoming
  • Here's some pics of my latest cab - made for @Power-Beef who wanted something small, lightweight and easy on the eye. She specified no handles and no corners in order to let the timber do the talking. I'm a bit of a magpie so was initially worried about the lack of shiny bits but I'm happy to have been proved wrong!

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We went for a healthy 10.5 inches of cabinet depth to make up for the smaller dimensions of the cab, so the internal volume is actually pretty decent for such a small cab. Aesthetically it also gives the cab a nice bit of 'chonk' as @Power-Beef said when she got hold of the cab - definitely a word I'll be using in future promotional material :) .
    Below are some pics of the back - as you can see the cab can be used in both open and closed back configuration. The closed back provides that nice tight response whilst also preventing @Power-Beef 's cats from snoozing in there!
    I gave the panels a healthy lip to make sure the cab is properly closed when the middle panel is on. I also wanted the cab to look 'right' when the middle panel is removed.

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom