Attaching Marshall Pedals to a board

What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
Marshall pedal owners, how do you attach them to your board? I've had three or four over the years and never come up with a decent solution.

Velcro doesn't stick to the rubber base. There isn't enough room internally to flip the baseplate. I don't really like the idea of trying to remove all that rubber from the base either.

I've tried things like criss-crossed cable ties in the past but I've never come up with a solution I like.

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Which type of Marshall pedals?

The big black ones or the small silver MK2 ones?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Screw them to the board? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    edited January 2022
    Ive had the same issue with boss pedals before. What I've done is take the base plate off, wrap the base plate in gaffa tape then screw it back on and stick the velcro to that. If you don't want to stick gaffa to the base plate you can wrap 1 layer of paper round the base then gaffa that round then screw the base plate back on.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Three methods that work...

Remove two of the screws from the bottom of the pedal, drill through the board in the right places, and fit longer screws that go right through the board into the pedal. From memory, they're M3 thread.

Drill two holes in the board either side of the pedal and run a large cable tie right around it, between the knobs and the 'step'.

Remove the rubber and use velcro. Also from memory, the battery door comes away with the rubber, so you probably need to not care about using it with a battery again unless you can re-glue it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Fold the 2 ends of velcro round the baseplate so the enclosure pinches the velcro firmly inside the pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited January 2022
    I've used big chunks of 3m dual lock with success. 
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    I used to have an Ed the Compressor on my board and I fitted it with bicycle chain links, in fact all pedals were fitted that way. Where you can get them from with the demise of Jonny Shredfreak these days, I'm really not sure.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    My Ed the compressor has been attached to my pedal train using proper pedalboard tape from Gigrig. 
    You need to clean the rubber thoroughly with Isopropyl Alcohol first, then the adhesive works well. You need a screwdriver to lever the bugger off!! 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dilbert said:
    I used to have an Ed the Compressor on my board and I fitted it with bicycle chain links, in fact all pedals were fitted that way. Where you can get them from with the demise of Jonny Shredfreak these days, I'm really not sure.
    Your local bike shop will have a bucket of old worn out chains - you just need a chain splitter and you’ll have a vast supply. 
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas there.

I should have said, I'm ideally after a velcro solution because I tinker with pedal order etc a lot.

I've tried @ICBM 's cable tie technique, but on the Echohead for example, the presets are printed right under where the cable tie runs across, so unless you've memorised them, it's guess work!

I think I'm going to try the @ftumch gaffa solution - basically because it doesn't do anything permanent to the pedal, lets me use velcro and doesn't require me to buy anything I don't already have in the house!

Brilliant guys, much appreciated!
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 387
    This is almost certainly not what you want to do, but for my Guv'nor I made a snuggly fitting cradle for it.  The cradle itself then fixes to the board with velcro.  The rubber on the pedal grips well enough to the cradle in use and careful transportation, but obviously it would fall off if tipped upside down.

• With the more beaten-up of my GV-2s, I just took the rubber off.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    DannyP said:
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas there.

I should have said, I'm ideally after a velcro solution because I tinker with pedal order etc a lot.

I've tried @ICBM 's cable tie technique, but on the Echohead for example, the presets are printed right under where the cable tie runs across, so unless you've memorised them, it's guess work!

I think I'm going to try the @ftumch gaffa solution - basically because it doesn't do anything permanent to the pedal, lets me use velcro and doesn't require me to buy anything I don't already have in the house!

Brilliant guys, much appreciated!
    Very wise ;)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    dilbert said:
    Your local bike shop will have a bucket of old worn out chains - you just need a chain splitter and you’ll have a vast supply. 
    @downbytheriver Thanks for the heads up, I have a new board in mind so it's much much appreciated    ;) 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    edited January 2022
    Another solution, you could just cut a new base plate from some mdf or ply..  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    JD50 said:
    Another solution, you could just cut a new base plate from some mdf or ply..  
    I did this with my wah pedal because the screws stick out and cause it to to not sit flat. I just cut a 5mm mdf baseplate to velco onto the back of the wah, then velcro onto the board.