So, how did he do that?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 28439
edited January 2022 in Making & Modding
Just watch a minute or so from ~5mins in.  (For some reason I couldn't get the YT vid to start from the correct place in the link).

Q1 - I'm *guessing* that he's used a drop of superglue to keep the pickup springs in place when he drop the pickup into the hole?

Q2 - How does he lift the pickup high enough for the screws to bite into the hole in the pickup bracket/frame to start to lift the pickup up in the body to the right height?  OK, perhaps, for the neck pickup, he can reach a finger in from the bridge pickup cavity, but how could you get the bridge pickup in the right place?

Any thoughts oh wiser-ones-than-me?
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    Agree on q1.

Q2, all done with mirrors.... or maybe even magnets ;)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Prolly the fact that pickups are magnetic?

tbh I had a harder time getting past watching him bash the tuner ferrules in with a hammer!!!! Not great practice that!.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    The spring guides the bolt to the right place and when it bites it lifts the pickup up, the bolt just has to be long enough and there has to be further travel for the bolt under the pickup ..... 

Unless I'm  missing something 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28439
    WezV said:

I wondered about magnets!  Either that, or some thin (not sticky) tape under the pickup with the ends sticking up above the body to be able to pull it into position?

Cheers @WezV ;

Danny1969 said:  the bolt just has to be long enough and there has to be further travel for the bolt under the pickup .....

I didn't think the screw/bolt was that long though - at least, not normally.    I need to experiment.
    Danny1969 said:
    The spring guides the bolt to the right place and when it bites it lifts the pickup up, the bolt just has to be long enough and there has to be further travel for the bolt under the pickup ..... 

Unless I'm  missing something 

If you watch the pickup is dropped into the cavity and the screws don’t quite reach the holes in the legs… so he needs to raise the pickup for the screw to bite…

just fast forward past the bits where he’s using a hammer to put the tuner ferrules in and also the collets for the bridge I’ve just noticed… try that with any sort of decent finish on the guitar and it’s crack city :)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    poopot said:

tbh I had a harder time getting past watching him bash the tuner ferrules in with a hammer!!!! Not great practice that!.
    I found this out the hard way =)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    TTony said:
    WezV said:

I wondered about magnets!  Either that, or some thin (not sticky) tape under the pickup with the ends sticking up above the body to be able to pull it into position?

He probably just uses that hammer he is waving around, or any other lump of magnetic metal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

I found this out the hard way =)
    Most people do!…

• ftumchftumch Frets: 697
    edited January 2022
    As far as the ferrules go, i've been watching Ben's videos for about 5 years, he's very careful and very particular in his methods. I think he probably knows what he's doing. I love watching his vids and feel like I need to defend him in his absence :) 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    TTony said:
    WezV said:

Cheers @WezV ;

Danny1969 said:
     the bolt just has to be long enough and there has to be further travel for the bolt under the pickup .....

I didn't think the screw/bolt was that long though - at least, not normally.    I need to experiment. Ah .... actually there's loads of ways to do it, any decent double sided tape, like the kind I use for iPad screens will enable you to pick up the pickups from the top no problem ..... a dab of hot glue will work too and both will just rub off with your thumb after. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    ftumch said:
    As far as the ferrules go, i've been watching Ben's videos for about 5 years, he's very careful and very particular in his methods. I think he probably knows what he's doing. I love watching his vids and feel like I need to defend him in his absence :) 
    I'd like to see him hammer away on a nitro finish and not fuck it up or a nice metallic
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    ftumch said:
    I'd like to see him hammer away on a nitro finish and not fuck it up or a nice metallic
    It wasn't though was it and he didn't fuck it up did he. Rolleyes 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    As Danny said, my bet would be masking tape in a loop to use as a makeshift handle on top of the pickup. A couple of turns on each screw and you're away. 
    edited January 2022
    ftumch said:
    ftumch said:
    As far as the ferrules go, i've been watching Ben's videos for about 5 years, he's very careful and very particular in his methods. I think he probably knows what he's doing. I love watching his vids and feel like I need to defend him in his absence  
    Roll your eyes as much as you want… it’s not best practice really… just to add, if you cant “press” the ferrules in, the hole is too small!!!!
    ftumch said:
    He’s a bit of a YT “personality” for sure @ftumch and his stuff is generally interesting, even if I sometimes wonder whether he’s really that mad.  Demonstrates that there are plenty of ways to build guitars, and plenty of ways to design them too.

I tuned in to a bit of his “watch me make a guitar in a day” video a couple of weeks ago.  Something like 1500 people watching.  

Naturally, Ben being Ben, it took him 3 days rather than 1 to get the guitar built.  Not sure whether that made it 3x interesting, or just frustrating!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    ftumch said:
    ftumch said:
    He presume he has a press ( rolleyes )use that, another thing about hammering in is if you use sunken ferrules like vintage ones, which is my preference you can control the depth so they sit perfectly flush

I don't watch him tbh, everyone finds their own way to build so no need to roll your eyes again, I won't  =)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited January 2022
    TTony said:
    ftumch said:
    As far as the ferrules go, i've been watching Ben's videos for about 5 years, he's very careful and very particular in his methods. I think he probably knows what he's doing. I love watching his vids and feel like I need to defend him in his absence  
    He’s a bit of a YT “personality” for sure @ftumch and his stuff is generally interesting, even if I sometimes wonder whether he’s really that mad.  Demonstrates that there are plenty of ways to build guitars, and plenty of ways to design them too.

I tuned in to a bit of his “watch me make a guitar in a day” video a couple of weeks ago.  Something like 1500 people watching.  

Naturally, Ben being Ben, it took him 3 days rather than 1 to get the guitar built.  Not sure whether that made it 3x interesting, or just frustrating!  
    Still not finished, it's going in to day 5 I think (if it's the same guitar) He could probably have finished it if he wasn't nattering so much but that's just Ben. I've got to say a lot of the crimson stuff is not to my taste but I just enjoy the process.

Danielsguitars said:
    ftumch said:
    ftumch said:
    He presume he has a press ( rolleyes )use that, another thing about hammering in is if you use sunken ferrules like vintage ones, which is my preference you can control the depth so they sit perfectly flush

I don't watch him tbh, everyone finds their own way to build so no need to roll your eyes again, I won't 
    That's it though isn't it, everyone has their own way of doing things, no need to try and make him look bad, he's quite capable by my reckoning. No offense meant.
    ftumch said:
    TTony said:
    ftumch said:

Still not finished, it's going in to day 5 I think (if it's the same guitar) He could probably have finished it if he wasn't nattering so much but that's just Ben. I've got to say a lot of the crimson stuff is not to my taste but I just enjoy the process.

LOLz

I watched quite a bit of the first one, then 2 on catch-up highlights, and just assumed that he’d finally get it finished on the third day - I’ve not watched day 3 yet.

Sounds like I need to find time to watch day 3, day 4 AND day 5 ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    TTony said:

Q1 - I'm *guessing* that he's used a drop of superglue to keep the pickup springs in place when he drop the pickup into the hole?
    Not superglue, I don't think - too brittle, the slightest sideways push would probably break the springs off. I would use hot-melt glue, or even solder the springs to the baseplates - if the springs are nickel-plated they will solder easily.

TTony said:

Q2 - How does he lift the pickup high enough for the screws to bite into the hole in the pickup bracket/frame to start to lift the pickup up in the body to the right height?  OK, perhaps, for the neck pickup, he can reach a finger in from the bridge pickup cavity, but how could you get the bridge pickup in the right place?
    Fingers through the bridge pickup hole for the neck pickup, and probably some sort of tool through the soundholes for the bridge - you can see the necessary path in the title pic for the video.

Either that or make a loop of gaffer tape, sticky side out, and stick it to the top of the pickup. As long as the screws are slightly longer than the springs - which it looks like they are - they will thread into the holes before the springs put any pressure on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Solder - for some mad reason, I’d not thought of that!  Thanks @ICBM ;