Swervedriver / Adam Franklin

What's Hot
I have been going back through Swervedriver and Adam Franklin's stuff (Toshack Highway, Bolts of Melody etc). I forgot how much of a good guitar player he is and how good Swervdriver were and still are, going by their latest album. Yeah, some of the early stuff sounds of its time, but no mistaking the Jazzmaster growl throughout their music, and some lovely use of effects pedals. An under rated British guitar band? Is Adam Franklin based in the UK these days or still in America?

Spied a Squier Mascis near the end of this video as well. Some nice guitar interplay on the last song.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2845
    One of my favourites. A classic example of JM middle-pickup position tone, although a lot of the goodness comes from the way the two guitar parts work together.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3129
    edited February 2022
    Yes to the above. Recently I tuned my jazzmaster to the Duel tuning; how he came up with that is just genius. Definitely underrated. Mezcal Head is a classic…. perhaps it was too ‘rock’ for the Uk indie audience, and went down better in the US? They sort of straddled shoegaze and grunge. I saw them in Reading Festival 93; I’ve discussed this with ewal before as his band also played that year
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    edited February 2022
    Superb.
    Yes to the above. Recently I tuned my jazzmaster to the Duel tuning; how he came up with that is just genius. Definitely underrated. Mezcal Head is a classic…. perhaps it was too ‘rock’ for the Uk indie audience, and went down better in the US? They sort of straddled shoegaze and grunge. I saw them in Reading Festival 93; I’ve discussed this with ewal before as his band also played that year
    Well remembered! Yes - they were the highlight for me that year. My mate from the band I was in went on to be friends with Adam, then another couple of guys I was in a band with were in another band (Terra Diablo) who supported Swervedriver in the US. Six degrees of separation or something...
  • Going through Mr Frankin's back catalogue again now. Currently on "If I could sleep.....". Bolts of Melody is my favourite solo album.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    edited February 2022
    Those first 2 Swervedriver albums are amazing, i'm a big fan. Many years ago I worked with a guy who played in Toshack Highway, he turned me onto SD.

Are any of you guys into Catherine Wheel?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Not a huge fan but these are proper TUNES:

Son of Mustang Ford (obvs)
    Last Train to Satansville
    Never Lose that Feeling 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    My mate Audi Vines was on bass from 87 -92, although I got to know him via his cohort Adam in Skyscraper that he was later involved with.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Those first 2 Swervedriver albums are amazing, i'm a big fan. Many years ago I worked with a guy who played in Toshack Highway, he turned me onto SD.

Remember the name, but never listened to them, but must have a go today!
  • Those first 2 Swervedriver albums are amazing, i'm a big fan. Many years ago I worked with a guy who played in Toshack Highway, he turned me onto SD.

Remember the name, but never listened to them, but must have a go today!
    I only know the first 2 CW albums, the 2nd is amazing.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    Big Catherine Wheel fan here, they’re from Gt Yarmouth (most of them),  I have Brian Futter’s old twin reverb - perhaps I should ask Paul Davids if he wants to come round and have a play on it ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like I Want to Touch You, but for some reason never properly listened to much more Catherine Wheel. It's time I gave Ferment and Chrome a proper listen. 
  • I really like I Want to Touch You, but for some reason never properly listened to much more Catherine Wheel. It's time I gave Ferment and Chrome a proper listen. 
    Billy Eilish has just covered I Want To Touch You.
  • Never really listened to Catherine Wheel, but going through them. Nice!
    Yeah - I've been giving Catherine Wheel a belated listen too - not sure how I missed them at the time. The band I was in at the time, Fenn, was reasonably frequently compared to them. I don't really hear it - they're way more sorted out musically than we were!