Body mounting humbuckers without destroying the screw threads on the 'legs'

What's Hot
Imperial dimension humbuckers take 2.47mm threads (3-32 I think)

So would something like this
M2.3 with a 2.3mm diameter
(or M2 with 2mm diameter)

...allow body mounting without destroying the threads on the 'legs' for the mounting screws, thus allowing future pickguard mounting?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224554007804?var=523342754094&hash=item3448763cfc:g:9wYAAOSwqo5hBOZd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Gibson style humbucker surround mounting screws (the old style thin ones) pass through without significantly damaging the threads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • M2 worked for me on my most recent build.

However, I fastened M2 brass inserts into the pickup cavities and then used machine screws to mount the pickups

Cheers,

Neil
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I have used existing pickup ring screws, screwed directly into pilot holes, with springs under the feet of the pickup if needed.
    Either, use smaller screws to screw the feet down hard, if the pickup has long legs ( EVH style ), or use existing screws adjusted to the correct height needed, then with the height set, continue to screw into pilot holes. Foam can be used under pickup, if there is not enough room for a spring ( springs can be cut down to height if needed.)
    The screws themselves can be cut down quite a bit shorter, and ground or filed to a point to go into the pilot hole.
    I admit it is a fiddly process, but it avoids any damage to the threads in the feet of the pickup.