SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Momose Korina Explorer (Custom Craft "MEX")

What's Hot
john_skaarjohn_skaar Frets: 24
edited February 2022 in Guitars £

(SOLD)

Hello!

Here is a listing for a rare Momose Korina Explorer Custom Craft MEX, the top of the crop within the MIJ (Made in Japan) market. This stunning guitar was imported directly from Japan by myself in the summer of 2021 as they are simply not commonly available outside Japan.

A big 147 strong "photo dump" can be found on my Flickr, here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_skaar/albums/72177720296734292

This guitar is magnificent in every way, and the attention to detail is incredible. The Japanese manufacturers are known for their quality, and this guitar is the best of the best, created under the supervision of Master Luthier Yasuo Momose himself with an aim to create the best guitars in the world. They've certainly achieved that if you ask me!

The materials are all picked to work with each other, not randomly selected with a hope of a good result at the end, and the whole guitar rings like a bell when played unplugged. Wherever you look, the quality is just on another level.

I have compared this guitar to a few examples of the the recently-released reissues from a certain large American manufacturer beginning with G, and those guitars simply did not compare in quality, sound or fit and finish, despite a significantly higher price tag.

This guitar is a serious player, as well as a serious looker. The pickups give lively cleans, and when played though a pushed amp, you can have anything from a blistering rock powerhouse in your hands, to a mellow blues lead, all with just with a small adjustment to the controls.

The guitar is completely original aside from 50s style gold control knobs, and CTS TVT (true vintage taper) 550k pots in all three positions, which allows a much more natural feel to the way the controls respond, as well as allowing a clearer tone to come through from the fantastic Alnico pickups when paired with a SoZo 0.010 tone capacitor.

The guitar will come with the original, beautiful hard case and all documentation it was originally supplied with.

Specifications and measurements taken from this exact guitar:

Body wood - Korina 

Neck wood - Korina (lightly flamed, see image)

Neck thickness 1st fret - 0.848 inch / 21.5mm

Neck thickness 12th fret - 0.927 inch / 23.5mm

Nut width - 1.717 inch / 43.6mm

String spacing at nut - 1.408 inch / 35.8mm

Fingerboard - Dark, tight grain Rosewood

Frets - Jescar FW9662-NS

Pickups - Original Gold Beano A4

Neck pickup reading - 7.31k

Bridge pickup reading - 8.08k

Potentiometers - 2 volume / 1 tone, 550k TVT CTS

Tone capacitor - 0.010 SoZo capacitor

Tuners - Original Gold Gotoh SD91-SL

Bridge - Original Gold ABR-1

Tailpiece - Original Gold Gotoh GE101A

Finish - Top Lacquer (Nitrocellulose)

Weight - 3.9kg (8.6Lb)

Price I am looking for is £2,150 or near offer. As this is a rare instrument and, as always with guitars, fragile, I would prefer collection from Farnham, Surrey. I can also meet or deliver to you at cost of fuel, which will likely be cheaper than a courier with full insurance!

Any questions, feel free to ask! For those that want to know more about Momose, here is the official blurb:

"MOMOSE Custom Craft Guitars are all handmade and limitedly crafted by a production team consisting of several craftsmen who have been recognised for their technique under the supervision of Yasuo Momose, one of Japan's leading guitar makers.

Making a guitar takes many steps. Currently, many guitar factories use computer-controlled NC routers to process large quantities of instruments at once. With NC routers, it is possible to mass-produce guitars that have a uniform appearance in a short time. However, the quality of wood is by no means uniform. Momose and the craftsmen believe that in order to make a good guitar, it is necessary to process it according to the individual differences in the mass, elasticity, and sound of each different piece of wood.

The craftsmen rely on their five senses to make their own decisions based on the individuality of the material and process them with their own hands. MOMOSE Custom Craft Guitars has dared to continue handcrafted guitar production as they did in the 1950s and 1960s. By making full use of various tools, templates, and machine tools devised by Momose, each piece is carefully hand-made guided by the craftsman's experience and precise use of the latest technology.

At the factory, we carefully work everything from the body and neck treatment that went through several processes and finishing with sandpaper polishing. Painting is also an important process. At MOMOSE Custom Craft Guitars, the top finish comes in the form of lacquer. Good painting brings out the sound of the body and neck, and at the same time provides excellent playability. Furthermore, the final stage of processing (setup) is also a very important step to bring out the absolute best of out of the sound. Every process from wood processing to finishing, painting, and assembly is carefully carried out by the hands and experience of our skilled craftsmen."

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HomerHomer Frets: 169
    And I was just to post WTB Korina Explorer post...;)

Damn...if it was cheaper...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, sometimes coincidences can be scary  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 577
    Wow !  . . . Nice ! 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neu said:
    Wow !  . . . Nice ! 
    It's a real stunner! I think I spend as much time looking at it, turning it over to catch all the angles, as I do playing it!  =)
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    cool guitar!
  • Why are you selling it so soon if it’s so amazing? Genuinely curious. 
  • john_skaarjohn_skaar Frets: 24
    edited February 2022
    Hullboy said:
    Why are you selling it so soon if it’s so amazing? Genuinely curious. 
    Just clearing up space, I have many guitars with sentimental value which I will never sell, so the list needs to start somewhere  3

If I had space, I'd keep it. Many guitars have gone before this one in the last few months. This is one of the last remaining few that will be finding a new home.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16414
    Superb Quality
    If Wishbone Ash ever need me I'll be sure to give you a call
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • john_skaarjohn_skaar Frets: 24
    edited February 2022
    Dominic said:
    Superb Quality
    If Wishbone Ash ever need me I'll be sure to give you a call
    You'd fit right in! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom