Echo and the Bunnymen

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
Saw they had a rearranged gig local so off to see them for the first time tomorrow. Had all the albums in the 80/90s but never saw them Live. Anyone been to see them recently? Do they put on a good gig?
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Saw them about 3 years ago in Belfast. Absolutely superb and McCullough’s voice was pretty much unchanged. Great set list and worth the entrance fee for Killing Moon, The Cutter and Bring On The Dancing Horses alone.

Have fun!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11043
    Apparently it’s a great show, all the classics. My mate went a couple of days ago and loved it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for that info - Just checked out a recent gig on youtube - now Im excited! Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzapY3E_tQE

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I prefer the post-reunion albums. 
    Find them to be pretty flat and underwhelming live, tbh, but hopefully that won’t be your experience.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    My brother saw them in Bristol on Sunday night, said it was an excellent gig - "a real trip down memory lane".

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    Just got home from Shepherd's Bush Empire. 

McCulloghs between song banter could be great or pure cringe. Impossible to tell either way.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has he got a new duffel coat nowadays?
  • They are ok still Live, but its only Mac and Will from the original band, but when/if they hit the groove they are still that band who shouldve been much bigger.

If Ian is in an OK mood theyll be great. If not (like on Sunday) when they didnt come on until about 945, and couldnt be arsed, its a long night. But Will is worth the admission fee at any show. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2845
    The Bunnymen were really the first band I loved as a teenager. My first gig was U2, then I saw The Bunnymen a couple of weeks later and U2 were blown away. At the time I played bass, so I was really wanting to be Les Pattinson, I even got a Jazz bass copy and spray painted the same colour as his. A highlight was going to see them in Portee Town Hall on Skye - spent the night trying to sleep in a bus shelter afterwards - happy days...

Not sure I'd want to see them now. Just don't they could live up to the memories.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 562
    Always better live than on record imho. First saw them in 1979 - last saw them in Belgium in 1984, supported by New Order. Not really tempted to see them again, although from what I hear they’re still as good as ever. 
  • Got that Liverpool gig on as background. Does sound great although I'm not overly familiar with the band. I used to know their former sound engineer who spent years on the road with them. He had great stories about various bands but nothing about his main employers the Bunnymen; I don't know if they simply didn't do rock star shenanigans or that the ones they did were unspeakable. So, hello Mike!    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I was there last night. Good gig. But no stage presence from anyone except McCullough. Bass player, in particular spent much of the gig facing his stack rather than the audience. 

I've spent a lot of time today reflecting on whether I want to be a "tone" guitarist like 
    Sergeant or a "technique" guitarist like Marr (not that my skills will ever be on the same planet as either of them). But I was struck by how Sergeant's goal seems to be to make interesting noises rather than play tunes, if you see what I mean. I love E&TB, so I'm naturally tempted to emulate Sergeant, but it's definitely not something I've thought much about before.

U.
  • I was there last night. Good gig. But no stage presence from anyone except McCullough. Bass player, in particular spent much of the gig facing his stack rather than the audience. 

I've spent a lot of time today reflecting on whether I want to be a "tone" guitarist like Sergeant or a "technique" guitarist like Marr (not that my skills will ever be on the same planet as either of them). But I was struck by how Sergeant's goal seems to be to make interesting noises rather than play tunes, if you see what I mean. I love E&TB, so I'm naturally tempted to emulate Sergeant, but it's definitely not something I've thought much about before.

U.
    You can have both.