Strat pickup under a Jazzmaster cover

What's Hot
Suggestions needed for how to be best go about doing this. Get something custom wound, or modify a cover to work as a pickup ring?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Buy a mij jm pickup. They’re more Strat than jm anyways. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Under their covers, the Fender V-Mod pickups on the first generation American Professional Jazzmaster feature tallish, narrowish coils. (They are a bit like those Gibson pickups that resemble a P90 but with individual rod magnet polepieces.) 

Many owners upgrade to proper JM pickups. One person I know locally keeps his stock pickups just in case he elects to sell the guitar in future.

Hopefully, you can find an owner who will never reinstate his or her V-Mod JM pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    In the grand scheme of things, strat pups aren't much different to JM pickups. Embrace the jazz!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Buy a mij jm pickup. They’re more Strat than jm anyways. 
    Which is exactly why they're the first thing any MIJ Jazzmaster owner replaces.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Yep. 
  • I'd try 250k pots first.
    I definitely makes a JM sound more strat like
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBM said:
    I actually have a couple of those MIJ pickups lying around, I could probably get someone like Q pickups to make me a “classic” Strat version of the MIJs for what it would cost to get them rewound