What image to go on the front of a guitar?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
I'm refinishing my headless guitar and just trying to think of some kind of interesting image to go on the front. Looking for inspiration, any ideas what could look good? Famous painting? Manga? Pop art? Something weird? Album cover?

Any thoughts/suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    Welsh flag. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19376
    John the Baptist or maybe King Louis XVI ?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    edited March 2022
    Depends on the body shape. I'd say at least a 'ban the bomb' a la Alvin Lee 335 "Big Red".

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Childog's  "ode to a fart once remembered" 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1884
    Nekid laydees
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD Grampa Simpson The Christian Restoration Association cartoon text yellow comics vertebrate fiction

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Picture of Kajagoogoo?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3264
    I think it was either Yamaha or Samick - back in the days when Samick manufactured their own brand of guitars, who made a Strat style guitar that came with a clear pickguard, and about a dozen images, and even more blank templates, you popped off the pickguard, chose one of the supplied images you liked, or used one of the blank templates provided to make your own, put it on the guitar body and put the clear pickguard back on ontop of the image.  Why not get yourself one of those guitars.

Thinking about it more, the guitar I'm thinking about may have even been made by Ibanez.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2453
    I think it was either Yamaha or Samick - back in the days when Samick manufactured their own brand of guitars, who made a Strat style guitar that came with a clear pickguard, and about a dozen images, and even more blank templates, you popped off the pickguard, chose one of the supplied images you liked, or used one of the blank templates provided to make your own, put it on the guitar body and put the clear pickguard back on ontop of the image.  Why not get yourself one of those guitars.

Thinking about it more, the guitar I'm thinking about may have even been made by Ibanez.
    It was Yamaha, RGX121 from memory. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3264
    StefB said:

That's not it, it looks very similiar, rear cavaties, no routing on the front, wrong shaped headstock though , the one I'm thinking about has the traditional  in a  row machine heads, plus this thing came with a clear Strat shaped pickguard, and perhaps a dozen or so images printed onto good quality card, and about a dozen or more blank templates do do what you want with, and you just popped one of the pre printed templates, or one you had done yourself, under the clear pickguard.  I saw this thing back in the 90's in my local Yamaha music shop - actually Yamaha outlet not a dealer, but they also sold, Ibanez, Samick, Dean, Fernandes and a few other Japanese brands.  What I mean by ''pop on'' and ''pop off'' the pickguard, I mean you had to unscrew the pickguard like on a Strat, there where holes in the preprinted artwork and blank templates for the pickguard screws to pass through.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Ukrainian flag.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited March 2022
    pic of Emp  in a pose a kin to the famous Burt Reynolds Cosmo  one ,  with a tFB  "founder members  t-shirt"  covering the essentials
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    edited March 2022
    StefB said:

That's not it, it looks very similiar, rear cavaties, no routing on the front, wrong shaped headstock though , the one I'm thinking about has the traditional  in a  row machine heads, plus this thing came with a clear Strat shaped pickguard, and perhaps a dozen or so images printed onto good quality card, and about a dozen or more blank templates do do what you want with, and you just popped one of the pre printed templates, or one you had done yourself, under the clear pickguard.  I saw this thing back in the 90's in my local Yamaha music shop - actually Yamaha outlet not a dealer, but they also sold, Ibanez, Samick, Dean, Fernandes and a few other Japanese brands.  What I mean by ''pop on'' and ''pop off'' the pickguard, I mean you had to unscrew the pickguard like on a Strat, there where holes in the preprinted artwork and blank templates for the pickguard screws to pass through.
    RGX Free Art guitar from memory. I considered getting one but they'd gone before I had the dough.

Is this it? @CavemanGrogg ?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5786
    Cover it with clippings from broadsheets and tabloids.

You can call it the Newscaster! :D

I'll get m'coat!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Trompe-l'œil image of a headstock?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    A collage of 70s rock icons........Bowie,Bowie,Ronson etc
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 865
    If it’s a Steinberger cricket bat shape you could put Warhol’s soup can or a bottle logo on it. I seem to recall Michael Anthony playing a JD bottle bass in a VH video way back.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    How about a pin up style image?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    edited March 2022
    Ukrainian flag.
    My gigging guitars will be sporting Ukrainian flags for the foreseeable future.

How about Roy Lichtenstein’s Whaam!?...

Or paint it in Vantablack.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it