Les Paul copy with partly stripped lacquer

What's Hot
Picked up a cheap project guitar that basically needs new pups, tuners and some attention to the finish. Not bad for £25 I thought. :)

It’s a Les Paul copy with a fairly decent maple top (veneer but still nice) but the lacquer has been partially stripped. Im guessing the previous owner gave up. 

Just wondering what would be best to do with it? Quite like the idea of keeping the natural finish but not sure how to go about re-lacquering it. Or whether to apply some tru oil and wax? 

It’s going to be a beater/back up guitar so not going for a pristine finish but also don’t want to make a pig’s eat of it! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1581
    You could finish it like Mick Ronson's custom
    Five of Mick Ronsons Greatest Guitar Moments  GuitarPlayer
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The problem is that the figured veneer is as waffur theen as a teeny, tiny after-dinner mint. Vigorously sanding away the clear top coats risks chewing into - or through - the nice looking wood.

If you are not fussed about the figuring, sanding through the veneer will result in the Ronno plaintop look suggested by PhilKing.

Another alternative is to only sand enough to key the clear coats to receive an opaque colour. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s the problem. I’d rather save the the veneer if I can. I did wonder if I could carefully apply some stripper and use a plastic scraper. 
    Parts of the lacquer can almost be picked off with your finger nail. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    Was this a factory guitar, or a kit someone has tried to finish?

If its factory, you probably won't have much luck with stripper and may be stuck sanding and scraping.

If it was a DIY kit  definietly try some stripper
  • WezV said:
    Was this a factory guitar, or a kit someone has tried to finish?

If its factory, you probably won't have much luck with stripper and may be stuck sanding and scraping.

If it was a DIY kit  definietly try some stripper
    It’s a fake Epiphone believe it or not! I don’t know any of its history, I’m just assuming the previous owner had tried removing the lacquer and given up. The parts that are bare aren’t showing any signs of damage from over-sanding or scraping so Inthinks there’s hope.