Any recommendations for spray can lacquer?

What's Hot
.... other than nitro cellulose?

I've used Nitro for all my guitars so far, and they have all had an aged look. I want to do something with a more modern, thick shiny and polished finish. Just wondering what I should be looking at? 

I've never tried a shiny, polished finish before, is is a world of pain? Anything one should know? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    If your.handy with a spray can you can get a good finish with halfords spray paint and gloss poly. The hard but is sanding it flat and buffing it properly. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8903
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7229
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @Roland but OP doesn't want cellulose. 

It is possible to get a very shiny finish with cellulose though! 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2632
    2K poly spray is often used on bikes and things for that hard plasticky finish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28356
    Thanks @Roland but OP doesn't want cellulose. 

It is possible to get a very shiny finish with cellulose though! 
    yeah I just feel like trying something different. I get all my cellulose from you of course!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3124
    I don't like Halfords colour cans but the satins and the lacquers are pretty good
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 17169
    paulnb57 said:
    I don't like Halfords colour cans but the satins and the lacquers are pretty good
    Yeah, not used them for years but tried a few times early on for "convenience".  I always found the colours far too soft.  I had one I was sure was ready, passed the fingernail test, then I left it on a table overnight and it had a perfect imprint of the tablecloth.

The satin clear doesn't have the same issue.  I still sometimes use that for the headstockand decal on oiled necks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8903
    Has anyone tried acrylic varnish? It’s finding favour with wood turners to put a shine on bowls. I wonder how hard and plectrum resistant the finish is.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29417
    I've used the Chestnut polyacrylic on a few guitars. Dead easy to apply, I usually use a foam brush. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7521
    edited March 2022
    Not a spray, but my recent build thread used milk paint and brush-on water based finish. It's gorgeous, easy to apply, enviro friendly, soap and water clean up and sands brilliantly. I'm never going back.

Obviously for colour you don't need to use milk paint but for top coat I can hugely recommend general finishes high performance gloss. My finish has a bit of a vintagey look to it, not beautifully sanded flat, but that's down to my skill level. I also did a test piece with very careful sanding and it was ultra mirror shine. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1569
    I have bought a couple of cans from these chaps, their flip-flop colours (though they have many, many different colours/finishes). Those are acrylic based, I think (and for the record there was no cross reaction using Steve Robinsons nitro as clearcoat), and they have a huge selection of colours and clears. I would heartily recommend.

https://perfectpearlsandpigments.co.uk/

Adam
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1569
    Not a great image, but gives you an idea of their metallic/flipflop finish

https://i.imgur.com/BhvwlBQ.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4447
    Sporky said:
    I've used the Chestnut polyacrylic on a few guitars. Dead easy to apply, I usually use a foam brush. 
    I've just done a headstock clearcoat with Chestnut acrylic in an aerosol. I used the satin stuff (trying to replicate the original neck's early 90's USA flat look).

Really easy to use, touch-dry in 20 minutes, goes on nice and even. Bit easier to use than nitro and doesn't smell (quite) as rough. Piece of cake to work with. Just as an experiment, I sprayed some on a bit of scrap and it polishes up to gloss with a bit of Meguiar's car polish. Didn't take three decades to dry like nitro does, either.
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    My experience is that the shiniest, glossiest result I get consistently is from several thinned coats of Barrentine wipe on poly.
  • thejkrthejkr Frets: 10
    Wow, this is beautiful! Great job!

ThePrettyDamned said:
    Not a spray, but my recent build thread used milk paint and brush-on water based finish. It's gorgeous, easy to apply, enviro friendly, soap and water clean up and sands brilliantly. I'm never going back.

Obviously for colour you don't need to use milk paint but for top coat I can hugely recommend general finishes high performance gloss. My finish has a bit of a vintagey look to it, not beautifully sanded flat, but that's down to my skill level. I also did a test piece with very careful sanding and it was ultra mirror shine.