NAD Evil Robot C30

What's Hot
lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500

Picked this up last night. Was literally shocked how light it is, half the weight of my AC15TV1. From the little jam Ive had it could become my fave gigging amp!

Bizarrely in 30w mode, its a lot quieter than my vox, but I put that down to the Blue in the vox.

Glorious break up tone, very responsive, best trem Ive heard since my old 62 deluxe, all round great amp. Anyone else have one? Im not a Phil X fan boy, but I appreicate what he does well, and this is a great product.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I've fancied one of these for a while.  They seem to be a bit 'Marmite'  People either love them, or hate them.

There are lots of web pages dedicated to mods, and tube choices.

Marlin :)
  • Im gonna have a poke inside later to check its stock, but it does sound ace. Almost fenders highs with marshall lows. Im looking forward to gigging it all weekend.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826
    Would be really great if you could provide a post gig review. I've always wondered what these amps are like.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    I know someone who has one but never heard it ( I mean I've never heard it - crazy if he hadn't) and my local guitar shop had a used one in. They are suprisingly tiny. The chap says he can't gig his because there isn't enough clean headroom - although I saw him gig with a Vox and he never played a clean note all night. :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Played the hand-wired version about three years ago in Anderton's and it was fantastic but too loud to wind up at home. Interested to hear a verdict on this one

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I must confess these amps have always appealed to me as well. 

Very interested to hear how you get on with it as a gigging amp.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    i am a massive Phil X fan boy (one of the best live guitarists i've ever seen), would like to hear how it sounds live

The common mistake a lot of people made with this amp, is thinking that it would make them sound like Phil X. Then, being upset when it didn't.

Shame these are out of production now :(

I want one.  Have seen a few go quite cheap on eBay.  So, (no that i'm back in gainful employment (of sorts again), i'll bide my time to pick one up :)

Marlin
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    edited September 2014
    Well, first gig of 3 this weekend down, and wow! My board was fulltone wah, si fuzz, les luis, memory man and SHO. Guitar was dynasonic loaded duojet. I put two NOS Mullard 12ax7s, rest stock Chinese tubes. No matter which drive was on, there was still gorgeous clarity to every note. Loads of headroom if needed. The two channels are basically the same but one had a tad more gain, so almost a boost channel. Has a nice tweedy 'fuzz' if you dig in. The trem is amazing. A shockingly good amp. If this had reverb, I can already say it would be the perfect amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wow.  Great review!  REALLY want one now....

M :)
  • First dibs when you decide to flog it please!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Oh man that review makes me want one. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    edited September 2014
    Thought Id give another update after 12 gigs (indoors as well as outdoor). Its a wonderful amp. The 'sound ive always heard in my head' amp. Its boring to look at, so Im thinking of sourcing the proper brown magnatone/ER grille cloth, to jazz it up. I havent sold any of my other amps yet but, unless I find a USA version or find a used RI Magnatone, this is my Number 1 now.
  • There's one up on eBay at the moment.
  • Interesting to see what it goes for!
  • There's one up on eBay at the moment.

Ahhh, that's the one belonging to the guy I know, absolutely certain. Can't say I know him well but certain that's his. Not sure how that helps the debate but a small world sometimes.
  • I've just had a couple of nibbles at it. It's pushed the price up to £195. I've no idea what it'll go for in the end but I'm out.
  • He's bloody ended early...
  • He's bloody ended early...

hmmm. He has been posting abusive stuff on Facebook over the weekend. Possibly not having a great weekend! :(
  • It's back on eBay for £350. I'm tempted...