Painting pedal enclosures for pre-built pedals - can I...?

What's Hot
HI all,

Hoep you're all good. I have a pedal that's pre-built but in a bare Hamond enclosure. I'd like to paint it, but don't have very good soldering skillz, so I'd rather leave everything in place.

Is it possible to paint an enclore *with the circuit inside* so long as all sockets / switches / pots are fully contained / masked up? Or is this the stupidest thing you've ever read? Anyone done this?

Ta,

Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    It's probably possible, but it doesn't sound a great idea. Usually only the DC socket needs unsoldering to remove.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 107
    Sporky said:
    It's probably possible, but it doesn't sound a great idea. Usually only the DC socket needs unsoldering to remove.

Thanks. Figured it might not be the best idea.

But then, if I don't I'd have to pay someone to remove the circuit so they could give me the enclosure, so I could then go off and paint it, only to have to pay them again to re-insert the circuit! F... that.
    I suppose the alternative would be to buy a new enclosure, drill it to the right dimensions, paint it and then get someone to re-house the 1st one. That might be *slightly* cheaper...

Still a ball-ache.

My guess is that there are probably 3 solder joints you'll need to unmake and remake. No need to send it off to anyone if you can solder even a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    ... and if you can’t solder then now is the opportunity to learn.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Sporky said:
    My guess is that there are probably 3 solder joints you'll need to unmake and remake. No need to send it off to anyone if you can solder even a bit.

Thanks. Well I'll have a look. I do have a soldering iron, but I'm very much Mr Dry-Joint. Virtually everything I've soldered has needed the further attentions of an expert after it very shortly stops working (see fuzz transistors, guitar jacks, etc)!

Post some photos of the insides and we'll have a better idea.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    edited March 2022
    The PCB would be relatively easy to mask off from the open bottom of the enclosure, but you’d really have take off the nuts securing the pots and jack sockets to do a half decent job.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    Check out the Posca Pens thread, there are lots of creative ideas on there. It might be an option to paint by hand with a completed enclosure.