Denim effect in paint

What's Hot
As some here know, my wife and I are a team, I build and renovate electric and electro-acoustic guitars that she (an artist) then uses as a canvas for her mixed-media artwork.  One of the guitars we're currently working on is an LP Junior which gives a decent-sized clear space on which she can work.

Our treatment this time is to be an all-over denim effect in paint. She will then paint onto the guitar the image of part of the trousers. The rivets which are so much an element of denims will be real rivets embedded in the body.

My question is simply to ask if anyone on the forum has tried to create the image of worn denim cloth. Our approach so far is to spray a deep blue base across the body over which we shall spray a light blue coat through a mesh of some sort.

If anyone has a better solution we'd be very grateful.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Why not just cover it with denim? Then lacquer of the top to protect it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    edited March 2022
    Thanks for the suggestion. There are two reasons, first because we want to use a paint treatment to emphasise the effect of the real rivets and second (and linked to the first) because of the possible effect on the instrument. The playability of the instrument is as important as the appeal of the artwork. To that end we normally ditch the supplied pickups (usually ceramic magnets) in favour of better quality tones.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4633
    I don’t know how you would approach it but here’s some examples that I know well

I’ve seen a copy of one of these at a Bon jovi tribute show  when talking to the guys and the effect is really good . I think you’re on the right track with your method 
    Thanks for the reply and the photos. I think we envision a somewhat bluer overall effect and, of course, the LP Jnr leaves considerably more space for the design compared to the strat. Coincidentally we're currently doing a strat in a Jackson Pollock type of imagery but have had to spray the fretguard in the same tone of white to avoid the fretguard 'stealing' too much pf the impact space.

For obvious reasons - quite apart from the accuracy of detail - we're not going to put the artist's name anywhere near where the guitar might be held on stage!
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4633
    Flip said:
    Thanks for the reply and the photos. I think we envision a somewhat bluer overall effect and, of course, the LP Jnr leaves considerably more space for the design compared to the strat. Coincidentally we're currently doing a strat in a Jackson Pollock type of imagery but have had to spray the fretguard in the same tone of white to avoid the fretguard 'stealing' too much pf the impact space.

For obvious reasons - quite apart from the accuracy of detail - we're not going to put the artist's name anywhere near where the guitar might be held on stage!
    Wow you must post the Jackson pollack one when done I love that stuff . Missed a framed print on marketplace local to me for £15 and was gutted.

there is a darker Kramer New Jersey guitar too like the front of the album cover which features more black than white in the mix , check out the album cover 

• WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    You might be able to get the texture by pressing aome denim against the paint once it's touch dry but not yet cured hard.  Some wash coats or dry brushing  should help highlight the effect.

Would need some testing, but I've had perfect fabric imprints from leaving a guitar on a tablecloth when it wasn't fully cured.  That was with Halford lacquer that stays soft far too long. Totally not what I was after :D 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    Using a light fabric to impart a pattern is something that is done in low rider culture though not sure what you could do to get the denim effect.

Similarly to what Wez has said, you could also try pressing damp denim that has been soaked in thinners/acetone. Not such that its wet but enough that the solvent softens the finish.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. In fact, I've already bought a can of light blue spray intending to apply it as Wez has mentioned, ie over the hardened dark blue base. The method has the merit of allowing me to see pretty well immediately if the effect is anything like what I'm looking for. I will, of course, post pictures of the finished result.
  • PennPenn Frets: 778
    @Del_Preston think one for you. 
  • Penn said:
    @Del_Preston think one for you. 
    Not unless it’s a Washburn HM-20v previously painted purple with lightning bolts.  Not sure I should be advising anybody.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As a relative newbie here what term should I search on to understand where this thread is going? Washburn? or Lightning bolts?