Q: Are Queen a great band? A: Yes, by popular decree.

What's Hot
RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
edited April 2022 in Music
One for all youse who've veered off the original premise of the 'worst song by a great band'. 

Slug it out here lads. 

Let's keep it simple, preferably keeping it to a yes or no as the answers please. I'll come back in a week and tot the votes up so we can say for Fretboard purposes whether they are great or not. 

In the event of a tie I will have the casting vote. 

Go...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Yes, without doubt,  and they have a massive film about them plus one of the best and longest selling Greatest Hits album,  were legendarily live ,  one of the worlds best performers and entertainers, and one of the worlds most unique guitar back story.  

That they also have some crap songs is the same as anyone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Great, yes. Perfect? No. 

But great…yes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    Yes
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    People asserting that X super famous band are crap as opposed to just "I don't like them" just makes that person look foolish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited April 2022
    Happy to look foolish. Queen were crap. Third rate Led Zep doing novelty songs. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Yes.

For me they could have been a nomination as greatest band ever but for a string of mediocre albums later on. Breathtaking originality, incredible singer, unique guitarist, many songs like no one else plus a pile of nailed on classics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    Yes because they have four virtuosos who also write. And each of them has written a hit song. So yes, easily a great band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Yes without a shadow of a doubt . If you don't like them that is fine too, but they were a great band.
    Personally I prefer their early albums most.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader

That's just demonstrably bollocks though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    They were undeniably great.. but I'm not so keen. A bit too overblown for me. I've had encounters with people who assert they were "the best rock band ever" despite only having Queen's greatest hits and no other rock records. It's some of their fans I have an issue with I think... casuals mainly.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    The only things Zeppelin and Queen have in common is that they were both awesome bands with outstanding guitarists.  The similarity ends there; they were stylistically quite different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Yes, by any definition.

Even some of their less good efforts were borne from a desire to experiment and not stand still, rather than because they'd run out of ideas.

It's also perfectly OK to not like them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3811
    edited April 2022
    Let's see.

15 studio albums, over 300 million album sales.  Played to a, at the time, record audience of 250,000 at a single event.  Net worth of $600m.  Bohemian Rhapsody voted 17th greatest song of all time by Rolling Stone magazine.

I'm not a fan but I'd say that they've done better than I have (although I did once meet Brian May, whilst having dinner in Paris, and I felt quite smug when it came up in conversation that I had a gig that weekend and he didn't).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11042
    What’s your user name again?

;) 

I think they’re great. Took me a long time to realise but yeah they’re clearly great and have some really natural songs - Champions and Show must go on seem like they’ve always been written; Queen just found them. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Yes but I prefer them without H formally RH Andrew.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Happy to look foolish. Queen were crap. Third rate Led Zep doing novelty songs. 
    Third rate Zep? On the first album, maybe. I mean, I disagree, but I can see where the comparison comes from. Don't most bands start off as immitators, though? Rush's first album is definitely in thrall to Led Zep, but you could hardly say that was true of them forever.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Absolutely YES.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    Yes definitely great
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    Assuming you came up with a reasonably objective tick list - sales, legacy, landmark performances,etc,etc - for A Great Band they would certainly make it. I think what makes a great/legendary/classic band is above and beyond my personal tastes. 

The second rate Led Zep thing was how they were described by the NME (in the days when Led Zep we’re an acceptable reference in the NME) and that comes up from time to time. They are more like Led Zep than they are like Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen but really it’s a silly comparison. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.