Repairing paint chip on strat body

What's Hot
Hi, I have a 50s subburst strat where a large piece of paint has chipped off at the neck pocket. I still have the chipped off bit of paint and was planning to stick it back on using black paint and then sanding and filling with clear gloss to blend it all back in. Don’t cringe it should work.

I’ve figured out by the serial number it has Polyurethane paint and seems to be slightly harder to get hold of in a spray can rather than Acrylic and nitro which is now more readily available. Is mixing paint types a good idea? Like if I used a Halfords clear gloss would it match the rest of it? I have nitro at home too which I can use so same questions goes for that too. Or is it best to try and source poly to match?

Thank you 

Dan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    edited April 2022
    If the chip fits neatly I'd be thinking about supergluing it back in place and leaving it. Maybe a touch in around the edge with black gloss if needed.

I'm afraid I am cringing slightly as it's a right old mess on to blend in by locally rubbing down, spraying and polishing back on a guitar, particularly a poly-clad Strat. I do it on cars (with 2K) but on guitars it can be a right old pain. 

I also drop-fill celly with a brush (on nitro guitars) and flat and polish back, which is an easy way.
  • dan182ukdan182uk Frets: 2
    Thank you for your reply, I will take a photo of it tonight and let you have a looksie. What you said was kind of what I was thinking. The black gloss would that be best poly?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    edited April 2022
    I did a small chip on my poly Acoustic recently (sunburst) painted it with a posca paint pen and then used super glue to fill the poly hole. Sanded it to 1200 being careful not to sand the surrounding area more than necessary. 

Then Tcut then car polish to bring to a shine. 
    munckee said:
    I did a small chip on my poly Acoustic recently (sunburst) painted it with a posca paint pen and then used super glue to fill the poly hole. Sanded it to 1200 being careful not to sand the surrounding area more than necessary. 

Then Tcut then car polish to bring to a shine. 
    Same here, but I used nitro laquer (drop-filled). When flatting back I stuck my wet and dry to a small 1 inch square piece of plastic with double sided tape and wet flatted. Worked an absolute treat and like you said, kept it away from the surrounding area. I also went 1000-1500-2000 and it T-cutted up well.
    dan182uk said:
    Thank you for your reply, I will take a photo of it tonight and let you have a looksie. What you said was kind of what I was thinking. The black gloss would that be best poly?
    A pic would help.

Honestly? I wouldn't mess about with 'poly'. I have (gallons!!) of polyurethane (2-pack) at my disposal as we use it heavily on certain equipment but would only ever use nitrocellulose for guitar repairs, it's so much easier to work with. Superglue works really well for 'filling' too as @munckee has suggested as you can flat it back.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    I would superglue the chip back in if it fits perfectly. After that you can see if it needs any touching up around the join line.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Using black superglue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I have just ordered black super glue. Never knew you could get it!! I have loads of clear gloss nitro here so I can use that to drip fill around it. Will post pics afterwards =)
    Blimey! That looks like it’ll glue on and fit very snugly. I probably wouldn’t even be bothered about ‘filling’ in the gaps and just accept it for what it is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    dan182uk said:

Here are some pictures of the paint chip.
    Wow - I've never seen a chip that size come away so cleanly before. It looks like the wood surface wasn't properly prepared and the finish hasn't bonded to it at all.

As Deadman says, it's such a perfect fit it should glue back snugly without needing much else.

But check that there isn't a 'lip' on the edge of the neck pocket, and if there is, file or sand it flat (using inward file strokes only!) since if there is, the pressure of the neck against it may be what popped it off in the first place, and could again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein