SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Vintage Fender

What's Hot
qawsedqawsed Frets: 75
edited April 2022 in Guitars £
Always been curious to try a vintage Fender, so thought I’d see if there’s anything available out there that would take my fancy. I’m clueless about what to look out for, but figured this forum is a safe space to avoid getting ripped off compared to somewhere like eBay!

Ideally looking for Jags, Jazzmasters, Duo Sonics, Mustangs etc. Not looking for a Strat or Tele because a) I already have both and b) I definitely can’t afford vintage examples of either.

Price-wise, I’d like to spend no more than £2k if possible, but can go higher if it’s something really special. Crucially, this is something I may end up owning just to ‘scratch the itch’, so want to make sure I buy something that I can break even on and sell at the same price/slightly less if I decide to move on in 6 months or so.

If you have anything you think might fit the bill let me know - thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TDubsTDubs Frets: 736
    What's your definition of vintage? 60s Fender will be big money for a jag or jazzmaster, even more for tele or strat.

From what i've seen, and with your £2k budget there's this (although not a lot original left of it)

https://reverb.com/uk/item/52224845-fender-musicmaster-1960-white-pre-cbs

or a Coronado but beware of how long it will take to move this on as they are not the most desirable model

https://reverb.com/uk/item/40703200-fender-coronado-ii-with-rosewood-fretboard-1967-cherry-red

or this Musicmaster but i'd ask for photos of under the pickguard and control plate to check for any mods. Again might not move that quickly if you want to move it on.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/51739831-fender-musicmaster-ii-with-rosewood-fretboard-1964-1969-daphne-blue-22-5-scale

If you are unsure on the originality of anything you look at then ask on here as many of the members have cracking vintage knowledge.

*no affiliation with any of the guitars for sale above
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 122
    Coronados are great and definitely the sweet spot in terms of vintage Fenders partly due to that perceived unpopularity, depending on the music play they may be just what you’re looking for. Musicmasters, again fantastic, very Mustang like you’ll not be surprised to hear….Jag scale too I believe 
  • JoeMcJoeMc Frets: 54
    ⬆️ That’s my Musicmaster for sale..! 22.5 scale length, loads of fun
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7391
    Coronados sound beautiful owing to the dearmond pickups, and they have really really lovely necks in my experience. (Owned one, played a few). They do however feedback if you’re in the same postal district as an amp, and generally feel pretty flimsy / delicate. I loved mine though, and it’s one of the few guitars I wish I’d held on to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • qawsedqawsed Frets: 75
    Thanks all - some good suggestions!

A Coronado would be right up my street - heard very mixed things on build quality and the bridges in the past which put me off, but they look very cool (to me anyway). Will keep an eye out. 

I’d prefer a bridge pickup and at least 24” scale length ideally, but will bear the Musicmasters in mind. 

I suppose my definition of vintage is fairly loose. I’ve never owned (or even knowingly played) a guitar built before 2000 - probably looking for anything pre-1980? I’ve seen 70s Mustangs going for around £1000 in the past which I quite fancied, but no idea if that’s realistic price-wise in 2022? I’ve got an HSS CS Strat and an Ultra Tele which both cover everything I like to play, so happy it try something less conventional.
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 736
    qawsed said:

I suppose my definition of vintage is fairly loose. I’ve never owned (or even knowingly played) a guitar built before 2000 - probably looking for anything pre-1980? I’ve seen 70s Mustangs going for around £1000 in the past which I quite fancied, but no idea if that’s realistic price-wise in 2022? I’ve got an HSS CS Strat and an Ultra Tele which both cover everything I like to play, so happy it try something less conventional.
    Keep in mind some of the 70s Fender stuff can be really hard work and like boat anchors, like a 70s mustang I had. You may end up paying a premium for something ‘vintage’ from the 70s that’s no better and in some cases worse than a modern equivalent model. 
  • JoeMc said:
    ⬆️ That’s my Musicmaster for sale..! 22.5 scale length, loads of fun
    Joe is a top bloke to deal with and if the Mustang I recently had off him is anything to go by his musicmaster is well worth your time
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2926
    edited April 2022
    I had a 1966 Coronada 1 - possibly the worst guitar I've ever owned.
    Neck moved up and down, felt awful. 

Redeeming feature, yes it sounded OK. 

Oh and the neck seemed tiny. 

Looking at your list and budget, my advice would be hold out for a player grade Jag. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    I don't think time is your friend on this hunt with a 2k  budget. 7 years ago a 64 players grade Jag cost me £1900. About 5 years ago I snagged a players grade 65 mustang for around £1200. I'd have absolutely no chance getting those sort of deals today.

I think realistically you could probably be patient and find a mid to later 60's mustang. But you'd likely need to increase that 2k budget to break into the more desirable models.

I too wanted to scratch the itch at the time. Glad I did it but was underwhelmed. Too much hype for me so they were always going to be a letdown, but needed to try.

Good luck with the search!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2652
    I think you need to get down to a shop that has vintage stock and try a few out. You may or may not be pleasantly surprised as @Gerz6558 has alluded to above..
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2442
    I have a 1977 Fender Mustang that I've been thinking about selling or trading. Sunburst, lots of wear, plays very well but I'm mostly a Strat person these days. Any interest? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom