Prince

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6950
https://youtu.be/Yh_g11IwgyA

six years gone today. Dayum.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was reminded on my FB timehop. We were soundchecking at St Georges Hall Liverpool when we heard, and the drummer at the time, a very well known session guy knew and had worked with Prince. That was a tough night. Was first show since Bowie had died so Heroes was shoe horned into an outro already, which became dedicated to both...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25570
    I was lucky enough to see him live.

A mind-blowing performance. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13743
    Unbelievably good musician.

RIP.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 373
    I was lucky enough to see him live.

A mind-blowing performance. 
    Me too. Front row seats at Wembley arena (in 1990 I think). The man was a genius.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    Competent but hugely over rated. Most grade 5-6 players could easily emulate. Plenty on this forum who are technically superior players. Song writing skills also massively over rated. 
    20reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    TINMAN82 said:
    Competent but hugely over rated. Most grade 5-6 players could easily emulate. Plenty on this forum who are technically superior players. Song writing skills also massively over rated. 
    Jesus, who pissed on your chips this week?

Anyway, I'm just going to leave this here, seeing everyone always does the While My Guitar Gently Weeps solo thing.  This is my favorite Prince performance.

https://youtu.be/igYpWqe3s6U 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    edited April 2022
    TINMAN82 said:
    Strange - according to Wikipedia he's sold over 150 million records worldwide. Not sure how he's hugely overrated with numbers like that, but hey, not everyone is a fan I guess....

Prince sold over 150 million records worldwide,[415][416][417] ranking him among the best-selling music artists of all time.[418] He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2006, and the Rhythm and Blues Music Hall of Fame in 2016.[419][257] In 2016, he was posthumously honored with a Doctor of Humane Letters by the University of Minnesota.[420] In 2022, he was inducted into the Black Music & Entertainment Walk of Fame in 2022.[421]

He has won seven Grammy Awards, seven Brit Awards, six American Music Awards, four MTV Video Music Awards, an Academy Award (for Best Original Song Score for the film Purple Rain), and a Golden Globe Award.[422] Two of his albums, Purple Rain (1984) and Sign o' the Times (1987), received the Grammy Award for Album of the Year nominations. 1999 (1982), Purple Rain and Sign o' the Times have all been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.[423] At the 28th Grammy Awards, Prince was awarded the President's Merit Award.[423] Prince was also honored with the American Music Award for Achievement and American Music Award of Merit at the American Music Awards of 1990 and American Music Awards of 1995 respectively. At the 2013 Billboard Music Awards, he was honored with the Billboard Icon Award.[424][425][426] In 2019, the 1984 film Purple Rain was added by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[427]"

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    TINMAN82 said:
    Well done, you just made yourself look foolish. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    axisus said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Well done, you just made yourself look foolish. 
    I think he’s carrying it over from the Bonamassa Discussion as a joke.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I remember walking into Andy's Record store in Norwich. I was my college years and I had gone in to pick up the latest Deep Purple album, This song came out over the sound system an I was blown away, it seemed incredible and the production was superb. I went and asked what the record was as I knew I HAD to buy it, and it was Darling Nikki form Purple Rain. I was really surprised as I had heard of Prince and didn't think he was my thing at all. I bought the album and fell in love with it immediately, it's still one of my fave albums. I bought a bunch of subsequent albums, and a few earlier ones, and good though they were nothing quite hit the brilliance of Purple Rain. 

He was an incredible artist and performer, so sad that he left us way too soon. What bugs me was that I would have loved him to do a kick ass guitar driven album, preferably all played live with him as solo guitar player. Prince sure could rock if he wanted to, literally everyone is in awe of the While My Guitar Gently Weeps video posted above. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    axisus said:
    I remember walking into Andy's Record store in Norwich. I was my college years and I had gone in to pick up the latest Deep Purple album, This song came out over the sound system an I was blown away, it seemed incredible and the production was superb. I went and asked what the record was as I knew I HAD to buy it, and it was Darling Nikki form Purple Rain. I was really surprised as I had heard of Prince and didn't think he was my thing at all. I bought the album and fell in love with it immediately, it's still one of my fave albums. I bought a bunch of subsequent albums, and a few earlier ones, and good though they were nothing quite hit the brilliance of Purple Rain. 

He was an incredible artist and performer, so sad that he left us way too soon. What bugs me was that I would have loved him to do a kick ass guitar driven album, preferably all played live with him as solo guitar player. Prince sure could rock if he wanted to, literally everyone is in awe of the While My Guitar Gently Weeps video posted above. 
    There is a live video - I had it on VHS - called something like 'The Undertaker ' - wherein he does exactly that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    By the power of YouTube

• axisus said:

Agreed. He did a tour that was very guitar-based, but it was with his Third Eye Girl band, who were, for my money, the least listenable of all of his backing bands. Wish he’d done it with a better band, and definitely wish he’d made a real guitar album. Chaos and Disorder came close, but it’s not a great album…

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I never liked his guitar playing or the production which was always very much of the times but he wrote some great songs and was a massive talent for sure. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I think you can hear his influences all over his work, but what a force of nature. Great charisma and artistic integrity. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    TINMAN82 said:
    See also The Beatles, Miles Davies, Jaco Pastorious, BB King, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell…
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 1093
    Musical genius and the best live performer I’ve ever seen. And I’m lucky to have seen him 3 times 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    He definitely was an amazing multi-talented artist. Just not my kind of thing.
  • Cols said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Jesus, who pissed on your chips this week?

Anyway, I'm just going to leave this here, seeing everyone always does the While My Guitar Gently Weeps solo thing.  This is my favorite Prince performance.

https://youtu.be/igYpWqe3s6U 

I was lucky enough to see him live twice - one of those times was on this Plectrum Electrum tour. Blindingly good performance, and whichever band he was playing with, you knew the other musicians up on stage with him would always be of the highest possible calibre. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    Pffft! Prince! I can play all of his Guitar parts and most of the other instruments parts. If I squeeze my Testicles tight enough, I can even sing like he did.

I wish I'd have had his songwriting skills and his ambition and his musical innovation and his dancing skills and his charisma and and his innate sense of rhythm and groove and and and!