Telecaster machine heads with smooth action ?

What's Hot
The last set of Tele machine heads I fitted to a build were Gotoh SD91 and they were as stiff as hell for months ( no binding issues etc ) - getting better now, but can anyone recommend a set with a nice smooth action which would suit a vintage style build - split head? 

cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The Gotohs should be fine. The stiffness may be because they have been overpacked with grease. 

Remove the 'heads, apply gentle heat. (e.g. Stand them on a sheet of paper, on top of a central heating radiator.) Once the grease is warmed, rotate the tuner buttons to displace the excess grease.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Thanks @Funkfingers - that's very helpful 

I will try that with the Gotohs - In the meantime I think I might try some of the Kluson vintage on the current build and compare them with the Gotohs, unless you have any others you would recommend?   I haven't drilled yet for 8.5 or 10mm bushings. 

cheers

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Drilled 8.5mm - couldn't help myself !   Will probably order some Klusons with some of the weekends gig proceedings.  Still interested to hear what people favour for their Teles. 
    cheers
    Pete