String gauges for a 5-string fan-fretted bass - SRFF805

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7880
    edited April 2022
    You already have flats on one bass. Get a set of Daddario 5's for the 5 string. Having both options is nice. (I keep rounds on my 5 and groundwounds on the fretless P)

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/daddario-exl170-5-nickel-wound-45-130-5-string-bass-guitar-strings-long-scale-p861
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12088
    You already have flats on one bass. Get a set of Daddario 5's for the 5 string. Having both options is nice. (I keep rounds on my 5 and groundwounds on the fretless P)

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/daddario-exl170-5-nickel-wound-45-130-5-string-bass-guitar-strings-long-scale-p861
    why do they call them "Regular lights"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24836

why do they call them "Regular lights"?
    Every brand has their own descriptions.

But 45-105 would be regular. But these are 45-100 so 2 strings are regular and 2 are lights. Plus the B.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2635
    When I played 5 string bass I came to the view that a floppy B string wasn't really fixable.  I moved to 35" scale and it was a smidgen better but the B still felt looser than the other strings.  My eventual solution was to accept that musical instruments often involve compromises so I'd just have learn to live with it and not let it bother me.  Which more or less worked.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Of course it’s fixable. Just put a 135 or 140 on it. Or use a string with a stiffer core material.

Or perhaps play more gently.

Ive got non floppy B strings on my 2 5 string basses and they are both 32 inch scale.

Current shortlist is:
    (I assume these all long enough for the Bottom B which is 35.5 inches)
    NB: this guitar uses top-loaded strings

Ibanez IEBS5C E-Bass String Set 045 - £19

• Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .105, .130
    • Material: Coated Nickel Wound
    • Scale: Long Scale
    • Light Top Medium Bottom

Ernie Ball 2836 Regular Slinky - £20

• 5-String
    • Gauges: 045 - 065-080 - 100-130
    • Round, crisp allround sound
    Now I'm more confused, I've realised that the existing strings taper down once over the nut, and the slots and holes in the machineheads aren't wide enough for the larger gauges

How can I know which string set will have the tapering in the right place?

Look it up on the website.

Max speaking length. Or distance between ball and the taper. Or for 35 inch scales, Extra Long Scale.

Levin almost always uses Ernie nickel rounds in a very heavy gauge 55-110 I think, and the Ernie Group flats when needed.

Pino uses Thomastik Ti flats mostly, but will use pretty much anything else depending on the need for the song. He used EB Cobalt Flatwounds for The Who, and also uses Roto steel rounds. His signature Fender comes with Thomastik flats.

Strings make a massive difference on bass. Far more than on guitar so I’m afraid it’s just trying some to see what you like.

however, people do buy and sell used bass strings because they last. Many varieties come up on Basschat. So you can save a few quid while you are trying.

Bass strings are expensive, but as long as you are not looking for that brand new clank all the time, then they will last for years.

Ive never got less than 5 years out of a set of Thomastik flats.
     So I should try to take these neons off without damaging them... will someone really want to buy them second-hand?
    You never know unless you ask.

The issue with the Neons is whether the fret has taken off the coating at the point it makes contact. If it has then be clear about it.

Still - on basschat listing stuff under £50 is free so punt for half the new price and see what happens.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I bought a set of 
    (Super long scale)

Ernie Ball 2850 Nickel SL

• Gauges: 045 - 065 - 085 - 105 - 130
    Still seem a bit loose on the bottom B