Golfer's elbow

What's Hot
TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
I think I have Golfer's elbow (a version of tennis elbow but in the side of my left arm nearer my body). It may come from a combination of guitar practice and lifting ladders. However, that's not the real problem just now. I've tried topical ibuprofen and Voltarol and they seem to work to a limited extent. I've also found some exercises on line where I push against my upturned hand for 10 seconds at a time, repeat 5 times and do it 4 times a day. Not comfortable but it does seem to be doing something - until I lift something awkwardly (like a guitar case!). I cannot practice guitar for more than about 20 minutes at a time as it gets very uncomfortable.

I can't take oral anti inflamatories as I'm on anti coagulents (Apixaban) so is there any advice out there to speed my recovery?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    You need to keep up the exercises. I still get a niggle every now and then and I was stretching 3 times a day for 3 months. Try different exercises as some might be more beneficial than others to you personally. 
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 331
    The best one I've found for golfer's elbow is a variation on a forearm flexor stretch. Stand at 90 degrees to a wall, a little under an arm's length away from it. Place your palm against the wall, fingers down and gradually straighten your arm. Depending on how flexible you are, you can lean in towards the wall slightly if it's not too uncomfortable. You'll feel a real stretch in your forearm and elbow. Don't overstretch, stay within a tolerable range. Hold for 30 seconds. Rest a minute and repeat. I tend to do five reps a couple of times a day. As things get easier, you can increase the amount of stretch by turning your head away from the wall as you do the stretch.

Alternating ice and heat can help too.

As always, best to get advice from a physio or other health professional if the problem persists.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 458
    I had to take a few months away from playing to finally fix my golfers elbow.  Exercises can really help and I still do them although I have no issues atm.  Def worth talking to a physio as it can last for ages 
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    Thanks guys. Looks like a visit to the physio.

By the by, I don't play golf. My late dad used to call it a good walk spoiled. I'd even quibble with the good walk!
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1795

By the by, I don't play golf. My late dad used to call it a good walk spoiled. I'd even quibble with the good walk!
    You only say that because you've never played. You'd be hooked(like my shots!) if you tried.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I had it at the start of the year, my tricep was really tight as well as my forearm. Massage and stretching helped the most and taping the elbow with KT tape gave the joint support and let me get on with life

Ultimately though rest is best

Something like this

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    I had tennis elbow 17 years ago - it wouldn't heal on its own, I think driving 2.5-3 hours a day was keeping it aggravated 

I had physio with ultrasound, but I think wearing the epi-support during driving was what let it heal

Tennis/Golfer's Elbow Support with Removable Pressure Pad by NeoPhysio : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

for tennis elbow, IIRC the bits anchored to the bone keep getting inflamed, the clamp compresses these just after where they attach and thus stop them getting strained

you need to see a physio to get it sorted, and make sure you know how to wear it, the clamp needs to be in the right place
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 458

Ahh - yes reading my post could have been read as a rest from playing golf - I meant guitar fwiw. Mine was from repetitive pull ups and guitar. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4123
    edited May 2022
    I had Golfers Elbow for about 6 months. Had physio, electro acupuncture all sorts of things - nothing seemed to have an effect and eventually it just kind of went away. I found that cutting down on sugar lessened the pain a bit. Apparently sugar can exacerbate inflammation.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Get a Physio or Osteo opinion (and maybe some treatment).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    Rest is best, but can take months so not really an option for many, especially with gigs and rehearsals lined up.
     I have found that using a strap on the arm that changes the ‘insertion point’ and relieves the pressure on the pain area. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    I've had it for years in both elbows and despite physio, steroid injections etc, it's still a problem for me.  I am terrible for remembering to do the exercises though, which is probably why.
    edited May 2022
    Thanks again folks. Going to the physio Saturday. Hoping for the best although the stretches do seem to help a lot.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    This is the first time I ever heard about Golfers Elbow. I play golf and it is new to me.  Some years ago, a friend told me that he had been diagnosed with Tennis Elbow.  He didn't play tennis and as far as I know still does not.  Who comes up with these names?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• inewhaminewham Frets: 135
    I use a Theraband Flex bar aka Therabar, its gentle and sits by my desk so it gets used. It works wonders on my elbow pain.

Ian
    I use a Theraband (or equivalent) each morning for a number of exercises to help my arthritis. They work just fine.

Before Covid, I had arthritis in my shoulders and couldn't get myself out of the bath (went for a shower instead) but after exercise, I have no bother with the bath. It ain't quick but it's cheap!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Voltarol gel/cream is very good esp with red wine

but you can’t use it a lot esp if using with ibuprofen. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    sev112 said:
    Voltarol gel/cream is very good esp with red wine

but you can’t use it a lot esp if using with ibuprofen. 
    Hmmm, red wine you say...?
    Seems I have an ulnar nerve problem not golfer's elbow. The physio gave me a good going over and I'm still a bit sore. Hope that will ease. Back again next week for another session. Hope that will be the last?
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1795
    Rocker said:
    This is the first time I ever heard about Golfers Elbow. I play golf and it is new to me.  Some years ago, a friend told me that he had been diagnosed with Tennis Elbow.  He didn't play tennis and as far as I know still does not.  Who comes up with these names?
    The PGA and LTA?