Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (And Twin) Review

What's Hot

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    Thanks chaps. Can’t believe Fender hasn’t put this technology into a simple pedal and have it as their Iridium killer.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    Im just about to drop £150 on a new set of valves for my picky bastard of a Mesa Express. All of a sudden i see the appeal of this thing. Going to head out and try one this weekend. Anyone try both the blonde and standard and have some opinions to offer? Think I'd tend toward a slightly darker tone and blonde asthetics but Fender are very cleverly asking for more money for one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    I don't think that the blonde TMDR has a particularly dark tone although I've not compared it to a black one.  It looks nicer though  :)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    edited May 2022
    rlw said:
    I don't think that the blonde TMDR has a particularly dark tone although I've not compared it to a black one.  It looks nicer though 
    Yeah just the 'bright cap' mod and different speaker i think? I think the 'mod' can be done in software too? Will see if i can try them back to back. 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    Thats it there is a Celestion cream in the Blonde one.

I have one and really rate it, use it for home and jams. Not quite the same as my vintage 66 Fender Show Master but bloody close (I realise they are not supposed to be the same, just mentioned as a comparison with a real vintage tube fender)
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    edited May 2022
    EDIT - sold my TMDR
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Im just about to drop £150 on a new set of valves for my picky bastard of a Mesa Express.
    Why do you need to change all the valves?

Only change them as and when they need it, it will save you a lot of money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    ICBM said:
    Im just about to drop £150 on a new set of valves for my picky bastard of a Mesa Express.

How does one know when they need it? When they fail and potentially cause some other damage too?
    ICBM said:

Yeah i might not do all of them. Theres some noise and crackling that goes away/reduces when i switch it to 5 watt mode so i think one of the 6L6 is knackered - a TAD that didn't last very long at all.  Its still got the original Mesa preamp valves in but wanted to change the V1 and V2 (which is first stage for the clean and dirt channels respectively) as its quite noisy and wanted to try and tame it. V3-5 can probably stay. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Lebarque said:

How does one know when they need it? When they fail and potentially cause some other damage too?
    That’s quite rare - basically never, for preamp valves - and if the amp is well designed and properly fused, not common for power valves either.

Otherwise you know when, if the amp isn’t sounding right. It’s a complete waste to replace them all regularly (especially preamp valves) possibly unless you’re a touring professional - despite what valve sellers with a vested interest in it will tell you :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Im just about to drop £150 on a new set of valves for my picky bastard of a Mesa Express. All of a sudden i see the appeal of this thing. Going to head out and try one this weekend. Anyone try both the blonde and standard and have some opinions to offer? Think I'd tend toward a slightly darker tone and blonde asthetics but Fender are very cleverly asking for more money for one!
    I've still got and still enjoy my standard which I popped a Neo creamback into so it's the same as the blonde. Main difference to my ears was the Jensen had a raspier, looser more ragged type of sound to it compared to creamback being tighter and more roar than snarl (within the ballpark of it's still a Fender amp sound). Both options sound good, just personal preference.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    Has anyone tried to "Vibrolux" a TMDR and fit 2x10s on a new baffle?
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    No but that’s a good idea, I’ll give it a try and report back
    Ordered a B-stock model (think its just an open box) with 5 year warranty from BAX for £700 delivered. Will post opinions. 

Went with the standard model in the end as the blonde sounded a bit too 'mooth' on the comparisons i heard. Really keen to give it a fair shake. As everyone seems to say about it, i don't expect it to be perfect, but good enough is hood enough when you take all the positive elements into consideration!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    I have the blonde Twin. It is wonderful.

The chances of someone successfully distinguishing it from 'the real thing' in a blind test would be exactly 50/50.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited August 2022
    I’ve read and re-read this thread so many times and after knackering my wrist for the 3rd time getting my kit out of the boot I’m pretty much decided I’m going to get one of the Tone Masters but not entirely settled on which one (though not the Super). 

How’s everyone getting on with theirs and which one have you got? I’m currently swaying towards to the Twin Blonde as I’d like to try a 2x12 for the first time, and blonde is, well…just so
    good looking!
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3130
    I’ve read and re-read this thread so many times and after knackering my wrist for the 3rd time getting my kit out of the boot I’m pretty much decided I’m going to get one of the Tone Masters but not entirely settled on which one (though not the Super). 

How’s everyone getting on with theirs and which one have you got? I’m currently swaying towards to the Twin Blonde as I’d like to try a 2x12 for the first time, and blonde is, well…just so
    good looking!

Love my TMDR (black one), so practical and sounds wicked. Has usurped my valve amp that is currently in storage and barely missed…yep, I’ve become a heretic. Probably the best purchase I’ve made in recent years.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    @markslade07 I still use my black panel DR loads, and more often than my BadCat. 

I don't play outside home very often but it's unquestionably the amp that comes with me if I do. I know some are morally opposed to them for some reason but I wish I could have had one years ago when I was gigging & rehearsing weekly. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594

good looking!
    You can buy mine if you like, although it's not blonde. 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/230223/fender-tone-master-twin-reverb-700#latest
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited August 2022
    merlin said:

good looking!
    You can buy mine if you like, although it's not blonde. 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/230223/fender-tone-master-twin-reverb-700#latest
    @merlin I was tempted however I’m nowhere near Brighton