Switching 100% to bass...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I don't see the point in drawing a defined line in the sand. I see myself as a Musician, whether that's guitar, bass, vocals or I decide I want to tap on the lid of Starbucks coffee cup to make sounds with my manhood. 
    If you want to focus on bass, absolutely do that. Hell, even call yourself a Bassist when people ask. I'd say just keep ONE guitar around, electric or acoustic, because there may come a time in your life when you want to play one again or you just fancy a strum here or there. I'd also make sure that's a relatively cheap one because if you have money tied up in it, you're probably more likely to be tempted to sell it down the road. A Yamaha Pacifica or one of those Jett guitars people are raving about, something of that ilk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Adamski said:
    I don't see the point in drawing a defined line in the sand. I see myself as a Musician, whether that's guitar, bass, vocals or I decide I want to tap on the lid of Starbucks coffee cup to make sounds with my manhood. 
    If you want to focus on bass, absolutely do that. Hell, even call yourself a Bassist when people ask. I'd say just keep ONE guitar around, electric or acoustic, because there may come a time in your life when you want to play one again or you just fancy a strum here or there. I'd also make sure that's a relatively cheap one because if you have money tied up in it, you're probably more likely to be tempted to sell it down the road. A Yamaha Pacifica or one of those Jett guitars people are raving about, something of that ilk. 

I agree with that really.

I describe myself as a bassist even though I'm a competent guitarist as well. I only play guitar when I'm writing or recording. I never just pick a guitar up to noodle on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Doing both is so much fun! But I do get why bass has that draw to it...it has a feel and style all of its own. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I started on bass but guess over the years I have mainly played guitar. As I write pretty much all the music I play, and very, very rarely have the opportunity to play it with anyone else, I play both out of necessity.

I have a very basic level of skill on both, but can do enough for the type of music I want to make.

I think it would be a lot cooler to be able to play drums.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    I'd love to be able to play drums. 

I wanted to play when I was about 13 but my parents just didn't want a drum kit in the house.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    I'd love to be able to play drums. 

I wanted to play when I was about 13 but my parents just didn't want a drum kit in the house.
    I played drums at school. My parents are awesome in general, but they still didn't let me have a drumkit.

That kind of had mixed results... I still don't have a drumkit, but the less said about guitars/basses the better...
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Tbh I don't understand how you could only play one of guitar and bass. Not just because they are such clearly overlapping skillsets but also because they make each other sound awesome. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    edited June 2022
    I play mainly bass but I started on drums when I was 14 and took up guitar about ten years ago. .. ironically to help my bass playing.  Now I play guitar the most because it's more interesting. 

For practice tracks I really like,  I'll learn both bass and guitar parts.  I would learn drums too but I don't own a kit any more. 

[This space for rent]

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    Adamski said:
    ...or I decide I want to tap on the lid of Starbucks coffee cup to make sounds with my manhood.  
    I'd say if you look around online, there's some p0rn fetish video or subculture with a video of exactly that.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Adamski said:
    ...or I decide I want to tap on the lid of Starbucks coffee cup to make sounds with my manhood.  
    I'd say if you look around online, there's some p0rn fetish video or subculture with a video of exactly that.
    Who’d you think made it?  ;) thinking of getting an OnlyFans going 
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 145
    I started out on Bass, learnt a bit of guitar, essentially to help out visually when playing with others... (It's a lot easier in the early years to see a C chord, and know what it means rather than hear it)

Over time, I ended up playing more guitar, purely from the perspective of accompanying the voice. Have ended up playing both in bands extensively, although I'm not a particularly great lead player.

Don't think I'd drop either, fully...