Your alternative Platinum Jubilee Party At The Palace line up

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6950
There’s been lots of criticism of last night’s shindig, but it got me thinking: who on Earth WOULD I enlist to perform, if it were up to me?

KT Tunstall would be on my list. Always puts on a great show.
Madness (bit predictable, but how very English!)
It’s quite hard to think of suitable, British acts, to be honest!

What would YOUR line up look like?

Rules:
1. Sex Pistols would, of course, be great…but let’s keep it realistic and in the spirit of the actual event, so no acts who would have brought along an anti-establishment agenda.
2. They have to be alive and still functioning , so Beatles, Zeppelin etc don’t qualify 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13740
    Not watched it all yet, but what is the jist of the complaints... a bit vanilla?

It will be, whatever happens, the royals are watching.

I mean Liam G was doing his own thing, but would never have been a booking... "let's hear it for the fucking queen, 70 years of being mad fer it..." etc etc...

Paul McCartney is a fairly obvious one who I believe wasn't on I guess.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    edited June 2022
    The Manics doing Repeat would have been good.

https://youtu.be/c0m6KQqnuUw
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    WhTs rupiah got to do with it ! Alicia K singing New York, Diana Ross, Hamilton ? All very good and entertaining but Not exactly British 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    Maybe represent the nations of the kingdom: 

Wales - Manic Street Preachers

Scotland - King King

N Ireland - Stiff Little Fingers

England - yes happy to go with Madness

Throw in some islands: Level 42 (Isle of White), Peat and Diesel (Isle of Lewis), Aled Jones (Anglesey)…

May need some more thought this.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2798
    John Otway. None more British IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Assuming the purpose of this was to promote ‘Great Britain Plc’ (yes - I know it’s an awful phrase), there’re loads of obvious omissions; The Stones, Macca, Adele, Noel Gallagher (as a less sweary alternative to his more charismatic brother), Sting, Clapton, the remains of Pink Floyd, etc. In other words, anyone who’s sold a lot of records, from the UK…
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11683
    Hawkwind, for being around almost as long as Her Maj.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    Assuming the purpose of this was to promote ‘Great Britain Plc’ (yes - I know it’s an awful phrase), there’re loads of obvious omissions; The Stones, Macca, Adele, Noel Gallagher (as a less sweary alternative to his more charismatic brother), Sting, Clapton, the remains of Pink Floyd, etc. In other words, anyone who’s sold a lot of records, from the UK…
    I'd chuck in Coldplay and of course Ed Sheeran - hugely successful and along with Adele they'd bring the average age down a bit.  And maybe Dua Lipa?

To be fair to them, there were some young artists represented, with Ella Eyre and George Ezra.  I don't know who Jax Jones is but I assume he's popular.  I'm not quite sure how Craig David managed to wangle his way on.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 355
    Now that Dame Vera Lynn is no longer with us I imagine that Katherine Jenkins could sing The White Cliffs of Dover, although I am certain we would prefer Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover.
  • vizviz Frets: 11042
    Morrisey
    The Spice Girls
    Eric Clapton
    Elton John
    Coldplay
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    I noticed (and was quite surprised) that Tom Jones wasn't on the list. He'd have livened it up.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3596
    Elbow (where they don't play 'One Day Like This').
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3596
    Philly_Q said:
    ...I'm not quite sure how Craig David managed to wangle his way on.
    He seems like a nice guy...but he did have to rearrange his week to make the gig.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited June 2022
    I don't think I could pick a suitable lineup for that kind of party that I would like to see, I'm not really into party appropriate music, but I think something like the following would have appealed to the kind of audience they had. I think it was mainly volunteers and key workers in the crowd wasn't it, so they are going to appreciate big names and hits in general more than the artistic element. I've also tried to take into account who is "around" at the moment, for example I'd have put Harry Styles in but he's touring in America at the moment I believe

So I'd have gone for:
    Someone like Jeff Beck (who's on UK tour at the moment) to open the show with a guitar solo national anthem, like how Brian May did before but in a different style and with a different stage.
    Tom Jones would have been a good shout, he is surely the kind of personality to hold this kind of crowd and get them started.
    Diversity I thought were well worth their place, doing what they did as an intro to the music that would follow
    George Ezra is popular with that audience, I imagine
    Ed Sheeran must have been considered surely? 
    Dua Lipa, maybe they could have wheeled out Elton (literally, judging by recent photos of him) to do that mash up song they did recently?
    I'm surprised they didn't get Paul McCartney out to sing Hey Jude for the 50 millionth time but I for one think that was probably for the best.
    Surely also missed a trick not getting the actual Neil Diamond in to get everybody singing Sweet Caroline (god help us all), he would at least have hit some of the notes properly unlike Rod the Former Mod
    Then Queen, to finish rather than open the show

Also as much as I like Lee Mack, if only they could have got Paddington Bear to compere the whole thing...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    The Streets

Wilko Johnson backed by The Blockheads

Madness.

Job's a good'un.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    FarleyUK said:
    I noticed (and was quite surprised) that Tom Jones wasn't on the list. He'd have livened it up.
    I'm surprised he didn't do it (was he asked?) - you'd have thought he'd have been one of the names on the top of the list - not least having such a long distinguished career, broad appeal, songs.?
    Likewise Madness?

Not an easy gig to set up - this is family entertainment that needs to appeal to all ages, backgrounds, ethnicities etc...
    think Ant and Dec / X Factor Saturday night light entertainment - hence why Throbbing Gristle or Napalm Death probably weren't contacted by the palace?

Add to that any such musical act needs to be up, running and match fit and touring the UK with availability on that night with a capable road crew turning up to god knows what dog and pony act power wise, monitors, sound system... with any technical hiccup exposed to a mainstream viewing audience in their millions.

It appears most of the big names appeared alongside Mr. Playback machine... I can't say I blame 'em - so kudos to Queen rocking it live - would you expect any different from Taylor and May ?!

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15278
    Some of the acts that we imagine ought to have been on the bill might not have been invited. Others may have been invited but declined or made themselves unavailable.

My nomination would be The Thompson Twins (Richard and Danny!) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Also as much as I like Lee Mack, if only they could have got Paddington Bear to compere the whole thing...
    Oh for sure.

They were probably worried as an immigrant Priti Patel would ship him to Rwanda or rip him apart with her bare hands and eat him before the show.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    Oh for sure.

They were probably worried as an immigrant Priti Patel would ship him to Rwanda or rip him apart with her bare hands and eat him before the show.
    I'm sure he could defend himself with his bear hands
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Oh for sure.

I'm sure he could defend himself with his bear hands
    I'll sleep sweetly thinking of Paddington 3 being quite a sweet story about a poor immigrant bear rescuing the whole country from an evil vampire woman...