Guitar wiring help..

What's Hot
I found this diagram for a previous guitar I had..  2 dimarzio humbuckers, 1V 1T and a 2502N 5 way switch...

But I can't recall what the position outputs were...
1)Bridge
2)?
3)Both
4)?
5)Neck

Does anyone have any insight?
My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15264
    The Alpha 2502N five-way switch does;
    1) Bridge HB only
    2) Inner coils
    3) Bridge + Neck HBs
    4) Neck HB (Parallel mode)
    5) Neck HB (Series mode)

There are some other things I could add but it might confuse matters. Suffice to say that the neck position humbucker being connected up in reverse is necessary for the circuit to work.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
    edited June 2022
    The Alpha 2502N five-way switch does;
    1) Bridge HB only
    2) Inner coils
    3) Bridge + Neck HBs
    4) Neck HB (Parallel mode)
    5) Neck HB (Series mode)

There are some other things I could add but it might confuse matters. Suffice to say that the neck position humbucker being connected up in reverse is necessary for the circuit to work.

@Funkfingers .. no, please add that detail..  That config is what I want but currently when wiring the neck pickup to PIN 7 with a bridging to PIN 2 I get no sound on Positions 2 and 4 :-(

Note: My switch is branded Cortek

Considering it Dimarzio colours.. I also have Neck - Red to PIN 3, Green/Braid to Ground, Black to PIN 8..

So "connected up in reverse" might be why it doesn't work..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

edited June 2022
    All of the action on the 2502N switch happens via its PCB tracks. It is, therefore, essential to connect it up the correct way around!
    I'll follow the diagram I posted as opposed to the ones online that have not worked then. 
    My trading feedback

I have followed the below diagram up to press..  (swapping the colours for Dimarzio)

but as I say.. pos 2 and 4 are silent.

My trading feedback

Your sketch diagram illustrates some of the connections made to the wrong terminals. 

The printed diagram that you posted is correct EXCEPT for showing Duncan colour coding rather than DiMarzio.

It is possible that your switch has been physically damaged. Possibly by overheating, more likely that the lever and PCB are no longer making consistently firm contact. Heavy handed use introduces waggle in the lever.
    I hear ya..  I have a spare switch I could try..  but I will try the sketch first... because the existing switch and the printed diagram simply doesn't work and I've been at it for hours on and off.
    My trading feedback

I can offer no further comment without seeing photographs of your actual wiring.
    edited June 2022
    I can offer no further comment without seeing photographs of your actual wiring.

@Funkfingers  ;; appreciate your help on this one..

I have swapped to the spare switch I had.. same brand and make...

I have wired everything as per the diagram bar the PIN2 to PIN7 connection; because when I do (as per the previous switch) I get no output on Position 4/2

My trading feedback

Seriously at a loss now..... 

I have checked loads of 2502N diagrams (they are all the same) like stuff on here https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/wiring-problem-5-way-switch-with-coil-tapped-humbucker-help.517510/

I'm adamant it as per the diagrams, also tried 2 identically labelled switches..

But every time I wire the link from PIN 2 to PIN 7 I'm left with no output on Position 2/4 so currently I have omitted this; which leaves me at least with some sound on POS 2 and 4.

Very weird..

Noob question but the pickups can be ground to the back of any pot right?? as you could see from my photo, mine are ground to the Tone Pot not Vol as per diagrams..

My trading feedback

watching this made me wonder...

should I be wiring the Neck pickup (regular Dimarzio Air Norton) "backwards" ? i.e. instead of Neck Red to Pin 3 use Neck Green to PIN 3 and so on..

My trading feedback

I have wired everything as per the diagram 
    Sorry but you have not.

One reason why things are not working is because you still have both bare steel "drain" ground wires wrapped around their respective green conductors. 

For the neck pickup, the bare ground wire remains grounded to a pot chassis but all four conductors need to be free to connect to the selector switch.

On the DiMarzio version of the circuit diagram, a four-pole Superswitch is used. The neck pickup is intentionally installed the wrong way around and its conductors are connected in reverse order per coil.

But this diagram shows both the bare and green going to the pot chassis (ground), what difference does it make that they are wrapped together and then soldered to the pot?

So assuming I untangled them and solder them separately; for the neck pickup, where would the green wire attach to because this diagram says it goes to ground with it's respective bare?

My trading feedback

• Isn't the Ibanez 5-way switch different to other 5-way switches and is necessary for this wiring to work?

I remember trying to wire this on a standard 5-way and could not get it to work (didn't realise at the time that the switches were different).

which is all part of my confusion...

my switches are Cortek 2502N...  is that the same as an SC/2502N??

my tech is on holiday so I'm trying to work it out myself.. I can wire like for like without issue but when it comes to starting scratch it gets confusing.. not sure which is the right diagram...

My trading feedback

• which is all part of my confusion...

my switches are Cortek 2502N...  is that the same as an SC/2502N??

my tech is on holiday so I'm trying to work it out myself.. I can wire like for like without issue but when it comes to starting scratch it gets confusing.. not sure which is the right diagram...

Not sure sorry.

I think I used a diagram similar to this - https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9d/22/b6/9d22b6727b33d4025f021d1b5ce380a0.jpg

Yeah I've been following that to the best of my ability but when I connect the loop between 2 and 7 it goes pear shaped.

Funkfingers says my wiring is incorrect but hasn't explained why. :-(

I might have to give up..

My trading feedback

at one point today I thought the neck pick up was faulty, but I have since detached all the wires from the switch, taped the black and white wires together, and attached a multimeter to the red and green wires and it reads 12ohms approx as expected.

The moment I attach the red to PIN3 and clip the multimeter to a jack lead, the reading drops in half!
    My trading feedback

Some time on Tuesday evening, I lost the will to live. Sorry.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Some time on Tuesday evening, I lost the will to live. Sorry.
    No worries, I'm nearly at that stage myself. 
    My trading feedback