Best iPad Synths?

What's Hot
I want to dib my fingers into synths, but before buying a real one...are there any good iPad ones?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Korg Gadget has a whole bunch of synths and a decent DAW environment.

People go nuts about Drambo, but I haven't tried it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    Is the Minimoog Model D any good?

I think it might be wise to start with the classic? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the Minimoog Model D any good?

I think it might be wise to start with the classic? 
    There’s only one Moog in town On the iPad: the Animoog is where it’s at https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/animoog-z-synthesizer/id1586841361
  • Perhaps a better question is what sort of sounds are you after? I bought a hardware synth for pads, but lucked out in getting the Medusa which is rather versatile. 

The Sonicstate Friday Fun vids are a good place to start, as he jams with a variety of synths. Can give you an idea of what tones you like, could make use of

https://youtu.be/QKCTQtj17FQ
    Perhaps a better question is what sort of sounds are you after? I bought a hardware synth for pads, but lucked out in getting the Medusa which is rather versatile. 

The Sonicstate Friday Fun vids are a good place to start, as he jams with a variety of synths. Can give you an idea of what tones you like, could make use of

I have no clue to dipping my toes in, I was at one point during lockdown considered getting a minibrute but came to my senses (bought another guitar instead!?) I just got an itch again and i recently bought an iPad so thought trying an app instead.  £20 instead of £500 is much easier to swallow. 

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    AudioKit synth one is good, and free :)
    tFB Trader
    I personally don't find the iPad great for synths (There are plenty of good apps it's just not a fun environment for me)

I'd suggest getting a Circuit Tracks or a Model Cycles and then selling it if you don't get on with it.
    tFB Trader
    Another thing I'd mention is that if you get some super amazing pro synth with a million parameters you will just scroll through the presets, press down a key and go "oooo" and then get bored. 

You need either something with a sequencer where you can make some patterns or something really simple you can twiddle about with that's really simple which means you will learn synthesis (This is why I recently bought a Reface CS)
  • Perhaps a better question is what sort of sounds are you after? I bought a hardware synth for pads, but lucked out in getting the Medusa which is rather versatile. 

I have no clue to dipping my toes in, I was at one point during lockdown considered getting a minibrute but came to my senses (bought another guitar instead!?) I just got an itch again and i recently bought an iPad so thought trying an app instead.  £20 instead of £500 is much easier to swallow. 

One of the main things to make sure you have a is a midi controller. I use an Arturia Keystep 37 and a Beatstep with my iPad. Makes such a difference. 
    Perhaps a better question is what sort of sounds are you after? I bought a hardware synth for pads, but lucked out in getting the Medusa which is rather versatile. 

One of the main things to make sure you have a is a midi controller. I use an Arturia Keystep 37 and a Beatstep with my iPad. Makes such a difference. 
    Before I spend any more money....what do you mean by midi controller? 

Anything which lets you send instructions from hardware to your iPad. As you’re interested in synths, probably something with a piano keybed that you can connect to your iPad. You can play synth on the iPad screen, but I found it’s much harder to get the rhythm right

Anything which lets you send instructions from hardware to your iPad. As you’re interested in synths, probably something with a piano keybed that you can connect to your iPad. You can play synth on the iPad screen, but I found it’s much harder to get the rhythm right
    I have a Yamaha P75, which has a midi out.

That’ll be perfect for it then. You may need a midi interface and or usb hub if it doesn’t have midi over Usb. I use one by ESI which is great, though I have to be careful about which order I plug stuff in or it get confused 

That’ll be perfect for it then. You may need a midi interface and or usb hub if it doesn’t have midi over Usb. I use one by ESI which is great, though I have to be careful about which order I plug stuff in or it get confused 
    I just got an app off the app store which does the Midi to Bluetooth thing, app is Midimttr ??? 

I also bought the Moog Model D (i think it looks cooler).  Will get that Midi adaptor and use my piano. This seems like a much cheaper way to get into synth than a physical unit. 

• I just got an app off the app store which does the Midi to Bluetooth thing, app is Midimttr ??? 

I also bought the Moog Model D (i think it looks cooler).  Will get that Midi adaptor and use my piano. This seems like a much cheaper way to get into synth than a physical unit. 
    Check out Animoog too, free from memory. A Moog classic 

I just got an app off the app store which does the Midi to Bluetooth thing, app is Midimttr ??? 

Check out Animoog too, free from memory. A Moog classic 
    Will do.

also this seems better and cheaper.  Bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.0 in the Yamaha.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cart/view.html?ref_=sw_gtc
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited June 2022
    If you have  an up-to-date I pad , it has  one , GarageBand  
  • I love the Minimoog model D app for noodling around. I use my Arturia Microbrute (a lockdown purchase) as a controller through a USB hub into my iPad. I think I’ve tried all of the apps mentioned above and they’re all interesting in their own way.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The KORG iKAOScillator and Electribe apps are good for Beat-based music genres.

The more recent Electribe Wave looks interesting. The wavetable manipulation aspect reminds me of my brother's DW-8000 synthesizer. I would want to watch a few official product demonstration videos before committing funds.
    Be seeing you.