Let’s have your overdrive recommendations, then…

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• JJManJJMan Frets: 35
    Crowther HotCake 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    if its a Marshall crunch tone you're after look at the Carl martin Plexitone low gain option .

• De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. I put this on hold slightly because I finally caved and bought the Harlequin from RichTone (£349! Other people have no taste in gear). 

But we (finally) got out and gigged today, so I do have a bit of an update. 

Firstly, I used the Black Sunn with the Model T preamp whacked up a bit for a core crunch tone, and TBH it was great. Maybe a bit lacking in graunchy mids with the Deluxe, but that's as much the amp as the pedals. The Rat side added some seriously great sizzle and sustain, and I was pretty happy with those two. I also used the AMT S-Drive which - as I moaned previously - just has too much gain for the purpose, and it ends up sounding a bit smeary and undefined. For someone with a different technique and guitar (and amp) it might be spot on, but it doesn't like my heavy right hand and by-the-bridge picking. 

Solar Bender got a short run out for a raucous intro but nothing core. Fat Boost almost nothing. What I did discover (or re-discover) was that the Deluxe has a modded second channel (not footswitchable) but with a bit of judicious jiggling of my board and the excellent Fulltone ABY, I could access that channel. So in the end I used the Deluxe as I would use the bigger Heartbreaker, effectively as a switcher. 

I haven't gigged that Deluxe before today. I am tempted to say that it lacked the stones to compete in a loud rock band, but until I hear the sound back from the FoH video, I don't know. On stage, I thought I was a bit tame once all the drive kicked in, but I could hear quite well in the clean passages. I'd have loved to be able to fit the HB and the 4x10 cab on that stage, but I'd have had to stand on it to play. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Rocket animal might do the job. Gets the acdc area well. I just wonder how much headroom you have before the amp also drives...

Maybe also the rocket Tim pierce pedal... I really like that one.
  • dcgdcg Frets: 228
    Probably very likely this has been mentioned before, but the Kingsley Page v2 does it for me - on both my main and flyrig pedalboards.  It isn't overly gain-y, has a 12AX7 for warmth, and has perfectly adequate EQ. The buzz may have subsided just a little on Simon's pedals recently, but for me they've bumped Klon clones, Timmys, 808s, and even the RevivalDrive from my 'board - although I have to say the Origin Custom RD is a wonderful piece of work (albeit one creating a little option anxiety...)
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Yeah, I know I’m way late to the party on this one but yet again I’m slightly disappointed that we’ve got so far down a thread about crunchy overdrives and nobody’s mentioned the Rothwell Hellbender.

Criminally overlooked, a top quality, great sounding pedal, and matches the initial requirements perfectly…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7l2LEr02E

So this is us. 

It's a bit hard to hear what's going on because despite having the rather useful Beecaster thing on the floor in front of the band, we hadn't plugged the bastard thing in. We're also missing the proper singer, so I'm reading the words off the old album sleeve!

My point is that I'd probably like to be just that bit fatter and firmer (in the guitar sounds, I don't think being any fatter physically would be a good idea). 
    And this is what it sounded like from just in front of where I was standing at the gig on Saturday.

For those interested, the ludicrous fuzz sound is the Magnetic Effects Solar Bender, the mid-gain is the Black Sunn Model T, and the more gain is the Rat (in the same pedal). I don't think I use the S-Drive. The solo sound in Renegade is the more driven channel of the Deluxe, although it sounds like some knobs got twisted before that, because it's a bit plinky and bluesy rather than full-on 70s rawk.

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    It might be worth having a look tgis

https://youtu.be/QdscFtAKGJw 

Most of the demos are from ambient players but the band sounds like this

https://youtu.be/sKHawjBPaxU
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom