Tips for getting a velcro'd front off a closed cab,..

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
Got a closed cab so access to the speaker is via the front velcro'd baffle, but how the f do you get it off. There must be an easy way right???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    Slowly I found is the trick. get a thin, flat object under the front, a fish slice is ideal, and make steady,slow upward actions to free the velcro. Tackle just one area at a time and if you can get another bod to help with their kitchen tools, so much the better.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    ecc83 said:
    Slowly I found is the trick. get a thin, flat object under the front, a fish slice is ideal, and make steady,slow upward actions to free the velcro. Tackle just one area at a time and if you can get another bod to help with their kitchen tools, so much the better.

Dave.
    this  -   My chub is front loaded,  so have done this a couple or three times
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    Flatblade screwdriver, or any other suitable object to prise off
    richh said:

Yes, works but you have to be very careful not to bruise the cabinet with the narrow shaft.

Dave.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    Dave, you legend! Went in armed with a fish slice and a metal spatula! There is no way this was coming off with a screwdriver. This thing was tight and took some doing, but with perseverance and sheer determination I got if off  :#

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    richh said:
    Don't do that, you'll chew up the edge of the cabinet.

Does the cabinet have a logo that's held on with screws? If so, remove the logo, and drive a short fat self-tapping screw into the area under it, leaving the head sticking up a bit. Then use a flat piece of wood to protect the edge of the cabinet and act as a leverage point, and a claw hammer or short crowbar under the head of the screw to pull the grille out.

If it doesn't, the fish slice or similar tool is your best bet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    richh said:
    Don't do that, you'll chew up the edge of the cabinet.

Does the cabinet have a logo that's held on with screws? If so, remove the logo, and drive a short fat self-tapping screw into the area under it, leaving the head sticking up a bit. Then use a flat piece of wood to protect the edge of the cabinet and act as a leverage point, and a claw hammer or short crowbar under the head of the screw to pull the grille out.

If it doesn't, the fish slice or similar tool is your best bet.

IC, don't think we are talking about a "grill" more a full sized speaker fret covered board? I seem to recall the Series One 45 used one?

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    ecc83 said:

IC, don't think we are talking about a "grill" more a full sized speaker fret covered board? I seem to recall the Series One 45 used one?
    I think we're talking about the same thing... a frame in front of the baffle, covered with fret cloth, recessed into the front of the cabinet in which it's a tight fit. If the velcro holding it is strong - or worse, Dual Lock - you usually can't simply pull the grille out, even with those annoying loops of cloth some manufacturers fit.

I've long since lost count of the number of these I've seen with screwdriver marks in the edges of the cabinet where people have tried to lever them out. The screw 'puller' method works perfectly, although to do it completely invisibly you do need a removable logo - preferably screwed on, although a pinned one can be removed with a flat blade.

This method also works to remove stuck back panels where they're either too tight a fit in the recess or the vinyl has gone soft and semi-glued itself - you need a very fat screw, and put it into one of the panel screw holes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    Dave, you legend! Went in armed with a fish slice and a metal spatula! There is no way this was coming off with a screwdriver. This thing was tight and took some doing, but with perseverance and sheer determination I got if off  :#

I always used to carry a fish knife in my pedalboard bag for just this purpose.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom