Cheap wood for practice making a body?

What's Hot
Something i want to try, but i know the first go could be a distaster, is there anywhere people recommend getting a cheap piece of wood to practice on?

And also what type of wood would you recommend for a first go?

Cheers

Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moremore Frets: 230
    You don’t say what body you plan to make . If it is an electric guitar , any plywood, glue up to the right thickness will do.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    Stuff like poplar can often be found relatively cheap  and is easy to work.  You dont have to worry about difficult grain and its easy on the tools.

You can use anything really, but its additional effort to process sheet material or reclaimed wood of the wrong dimensions into body blanks.... if you dont have the time, knowledge or tools to do that it makes  sense to buy actual guitar body blanks of a nice consistent wood, at least for your first foray

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    I once made some Tele bodies out of offcuts of roof rafters from a house extension near me. They were pine, 2"x10" and two lengths glued together and planed to thickness made a good blank. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    One of my early ones was made from a length of 2”x10” I found in a skip. You might find an offcut in a builders merchant. Another approach is panels of B&Q furniture board glued together to get the required body depth.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    edited July 2022
    WezV said:
    .. if you dont have the time, knowledge or tools to do that it makes  sense to buy actual guitar body blanks of a nice consistent wood, at least for your first foray

The principal thing I learned when I started was how multi-discipline the business of making guitars is. That's why I'd endorse what WezV writes - unless you already own or have access to the tools required.

I'd add that it's worth investigating the wood used by the supplier you choose. Some of the cheaper woods can cause unpleasant allergic reactions - according to the literature.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Personally I can't pass a skip without looking for wood in it. If it's at someone's house now and again I ask them if I can take the odd bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1663
    Thanks all, very helpful.

Plywood for a test seems like a good idea, just to try it out, make the mistakes (of which there will be many)

Then maybe a blank is the way to go, I'll do some research on thoses. Or if anyone can recommend a place to buy from?

@WezV I'll look into poplar - is pine hard to work with?

Cheers

M
    Depends on the pine, it can be very knotty
    @WezV cheers!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    Plywood is a dreadful material for making a guitar. Definitely poplar. Cheap, easy to work, and makes a perfectly good guitar. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Sporky cheers, I'll check it out
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    Wez"s link looks an excellent suggestion - poplar and tulip wood are the same thing. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 837
    Antonio de Torres, probably the most famous Spanish luthier, and the maker who pulled together all the features of the modern classical guitar, was not terribly wealthy. 19th century Spain itself was impoverished, especially in the rural areas.
    Torres used to use well seasoned wood from old furniture. Often the timber was quite narrow, hence some of his instruments had 3 piece backs. A continuing fashion amongst some of the Madrid and Granada luthiers.

If you're just practicing, use any wood. Who knows, you may find a winning combination. Just make sure it's completely seasoned.
    edited July 2022
    I think some may be underestimating the skill required to build from reclaimed wood.

Yes, it can be done really well, but it also adds more challenges for a new builder who likely isnt starting with a fully equipped workshop.   Although it is a good way to learn about wood grain and tool use.

Ply would be a definite no for me, especially for a first go.   Its a lot harder to work with than a consistent solid wood with predictable grain,  and the results wont be great

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom