SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

PSA: SCAMMER on Preloved....please read and be aware

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2102
    Sorry to hear this. Felt sick reading that. The ad is no longer on pre-loved. What was the guitar. He'll probably run the ad elsewhere too. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Devil#20 said:
    Sorry to hear this. Felt sick reading that. The ad is no longer on pre-loved. What was the guitar. He'll probably run the ad elsewhere too. 

I wonder is the scammer Present on the forum.

It was a PRS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7293
    tFB Trader
    "ParcelForce insured" should have been a big red flag as they won't insure guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    ad is removed now 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • kerryboykerryboy Frets: 169
    edited July 2022
    I am just at a loss to understand why he gave his phone number and he entered into telephone conversation with you.
    Surely that's not the modus operandi of a scammer.
    What happens when you call his number now, does he answer?

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2486
    To scam someone is scummy. To actually chat to the buyer on the phone, making them trust you, all the while knowing you’re taking them for a ride is even scummier. Really sorry this happened to you @prudd , I honestly hope you get your money back and the rotten bastard is caught.
  • CFHCFH Frets: 463
    This is so awful to hear. Really sorry to hear it @prudd ;
    Hope you are making progress on getting your money back.

Let us know how you are getting on and were you are at the moment with him.

• pruddprudd Frets: 682
    Hi all and thanks for the comments and support.

here is the guitar in question:

https://i.imgur.com/377C4jX.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/0286UMk.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/UHykHcX.jpg

I have had no contact from him since Tuesday, my last text to him was still on good terms hoping for a good outcome. Of course I doubt he will take any calls or get back in touch, although he might, just to gloat.

I know I should go to the police, and I know most of you will disagree, but to be honest guys I have over the past few months managed to get my anxiety levels down to a good place after what had been a long and uncomfortable period for me. I really don't feel I should keep this experience in the forefront of my mind and have resided myself to the fact I have lost £725, I need to move on and will not be as trusting or gullible in the future. I am as they say now "a wiser fool"

On top of that said above, I have to mindful that the c**t has my address, phone number, my age, my health status and the fact that I have some nice guitars. God knows what he is capable of should he find out I had gone to the police. I know that makes me a paranoid whimp, its just where I am with it all at the moment.

One of the worst aspects of this whole affair is that the scumbag was a fellow guitar player, I have met hundreds of guitar players/dealers/collectors over the last 50 years and have they have all been decent people.

My bank is still trying to help and is liaising with his bank Santandaer, I will let you know the outcome.

thanks again for all your comments

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5189
    edited July 2022
    Sorry to read about this. I don’t know if you have home insurance that covers fraud, which this is, but something similar happened to me many years ago and I was surprised to find that I could claim up to £500 for money lost due to fraud. So I claimed on my home insurance policy and they paid up. I think I had to have gone to the police about it, which I had done, for it to be a valid claim. Worth looking into I’d have thought. Good luck. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    Really sorry to hear this. I know times are hard but this is just far out. I hope your bank is on your side and claws the money back.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16231
    NOT going to the police is only encouraging him to do it again
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 595
    Report it here please

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

and don’t resign yourself to the fact that you’ve lost the money. You’ll get it back. 
    edited July 2022
    I agree with both hootsmon and switch625 above nail the b..tard.
    He scams from behind his computer so he's no threat to you.
    I would also post everything you know about him here because you didn't actually do anything wrong
    I have done deals exactly as you describe yours. Only luckily for me the goods arrived and everything went smoothly.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3377
    Bloody hell. Makes for a sobering read. Tbh, it’s why I do most of my buying and selling on here. I like the idea that it stays in community (doesn’t always go that way, but I try to keep the product of perpetual gas here as much as is possible). I can also check out who I’m dealing with and judge my response accordingly (not that new members are off limits, but if they only ever respond with ‘pm’d’ and offer a lowball offer partnered with a sob-story then I won’t be dealing with them), and the big one for me is that to do the deal we can meet in person most of the time. It puts my mind at rest to do the physical hand over and check everyone is happy. 

Hope you get it sorted, such a frustrating situation.
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 476
    It's entirely up to OP what he does here. Personal circumstances mean people have different priorities and concerns. Sometimes personal stress means a lot more than 700 quid, or 2k, or 5k. 
    When someone tried to take me for 2k I found a load of others in the same situation, maybe 20 of them. Of those 3 of us took action, went to small claims court etc. The rest just did as OP says he will do and wrote it off. Looking at it like that, the guy got to keep nearly 40k with no-one complaining as they didn't want the hassle.
    Of the three of us who did take action.....two did it from abroad, I don't know if they succeeded or not. I got my money, the tw4t who messed with me got a doorstep visit from the bailiffs. He has my phone number, I have his, he did have my address until I moved, and I eventually got his. He never even turned up to his court appearance, never submitted a defence, just got ruled against. He did try to hide from bailiffs but got found in the end. 
    There's no real takeaways from this because every case is different. This time some people left it and wrote off their cash and never had any hassle again. I pursued it and got my cash back, along with extreme satisfaction, and also never had any hassle from the guy, all I did was fill in a couple of forms and make a couple of calls and wait a few months.
    Do whatever you like OP, whatever is best for you. I hope it doesn't scar you too badly as you know the vast majority of people are decent. Personally, I hope you nail the guy to the wall by his b0llocks but if you don't then don't feel bad about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Hi prudd, how you doing buddy.

Let's know how things are going regarding getting your money back from the scum that scammed you.

Give us an update mate.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5069
    Sorry to hear it.
    Do go to the police and Action Fraud; at least get the details into the system and get a crime reference number.