'My Life as a Rolling Stone' on the BBC

What's Hot
DavidRDavidR Frets: 837
edited July 2022 in Music
Directed by Oliver Murray and Clare Tavernor to celebrate the 60y since the Stones first performed, this series looks at their life together as a group from the perspective of each of them. Its all fascinating and offers new insights into their massive talent, the managerial skills of Mick and the fascinating creative interplay especially between Keef, Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger. The fact that they advanced the stadium concert as an art form is referred to and its all true.

Slightly less believable is the emphasis placed on drug use, not only as part of their lifestyles but as a necessary creative ingredient. According to Ronnie Woods in his episode, they were all heavy users for several decades but always managed to sober up/get their heads together in time to perform. We are also expected to accept as fact that they were able to remain creative and tour whilst they all, with the exception of Brian Jones in 1969, survived into old age apparently more unscathed than the average 65 yr old after a lifetime of hard work and sobriety.

I can't quite swallow that aspect of these otherwise brilliant programmes. The other 99.9% of the world finds that drug misuse at that level generally fucks you up and fucks up the lives of those around you massively. I think they're playing up to their own back story and really.....they don't need to.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• At this point I don't think they're influencing many pre-teens who might otherwise have lived sober lives so I wouldn't worry about it. True or not its their story and they can do what they want with it, it's the music that will outlive them, the myth is only good while they're alive.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'

• I can't quite swallow that aspect of these otherwise brilliant programmes. The other 99.9% of the world finds that drug misuse at that level generally fucks you up and fucks up the lives of those around you massively. I think they're playing up to their own back story and really.....they don't need to.
    I think Richards with his carefully publicised 'demonically naughty.' heroin use has a lot to answer for.

So you can use heroin and be a fantastically successful and hard working entertainer at the same time?

Great! I should be OK trying it when I am not slugging my guts out in the restaurant kitchen or building site etc.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
    Probably not a coincidence that the full effect of their heavy drug use coincided with them making very average music from 74 onwards. Apart from the odd track here and there obviously. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I didn't realise it was a whole series.  I read a fairly scathing review of the Jagger episode the other day and thought it was just a one-off programme about him (he's the one with the knighthood, after all...).
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    Zoolooter said:
    Probably not a coincidence that the full effect of their heavy drug use coincided with them making very average music from 74 onwards. Apart from the odd track here and there obviously. 
    I must admit to loving the 70s Stones even the late decade stuff . Some Girls is a great album and Emotional Rescue is in my top 3 stones albums behind sticky fingers and let it bleed 
    edited July 2022
    Zoolooter said:
    I must admit to loving the 70s Stones even the late decade stuff . Some Girls is a great album and Emotional Rescue is in my top 3 stones albums behind sticky fingers and let it bleed 
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m a total fan. Some Girls did have Miss You and Beast of Burden, both top notch. Emotional Rescue wasn’t for me. Only the other day I put together a compilation of about 17 songs which are all great from late 70’s to present day.

Got a lot of enjoyment out of the recent Studio Outtakes https://www.discogs.com/release/17643877-The-Rolling-Stones-Fully-Finished-Studio-Outtakes-Volume-123
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11681
    Zoolooter said:
    Keef once said "I was on heroin, I made Exile On Main Street and still thrashed Jagger at tennis". 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 837
    edited July 2022
    That's what I mean. The 'take drugs and still rule the world' concept sounds too good to be true. So probably not true then. In 2022 it sounds a bit silly to be honest. The world has moved on and all substance misuse is seen more clearly for what it is. Crappy for most sufferers and their loved ones.

As an aside, Charlie Watts episode describes how it was his heavy drinking which did him the most harm and he was strongly advised by Keith Richards to stop. They did care for each other. Perhaps that's one reason why they got through it impressively intact.

But they're still terrible role models in some respects, and probably always were. Just fabulous musicians. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    If you have unlimited funds, access to high quality gear and no need to fit in to the 9 - 5, then heavy drug use is doable, provided you have the right constitution - mentally and physically. They probably left a whole lot of human wreckage in their wake.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 837
    edited July 2022
    You've got to wonder just how many families came to grief because of a family member who followed their example.

And I agree Jez, without the dosh, the hotel rooms, the genius and lots of tolerance, the man on the Clapham omnibus has a totally different experience of being screwed over by drugs.

It's all a bit 20th century innit! 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 945
    In Keith's autobiography he descibes the time, effort and staff required to acquire 'pharmaceutical' grade drugs. 
    He also did not mainline. Strictly intramuscular.
    There must be something in their constitution that is more resilient than average.
    The smoking and alcohol seems to have taken more of a toll on them.
    Jagger's energy on stage is incredible for any age
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Philly_Q said:
    I read a fairly scathing review of the Jagger episode the other day and thought it was just a one-off programme about him 
    That was in The Grauniad. The review drew attention to Jagger's opening remarks about lazy journalists resorting to clichés about the band. The documentary promptly descends into precisely those sorts of clichés.

The first three episodes have been disappointing for the absence of references to concealed chocolate bars or the "Brenda" years. 

Just the Charlie episode left to transmit. Of necessity, this could be something of a clip job. If that is acceptable, perhaps, somebody should assemble a fifth documentary to cover the fellow travellers from the Stones touring history. Ian Stewart, Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Ollie Brown, Chuck Leavell and, most of all, Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Just watched the Stripped documentary from 1996 and the lucky fans that got to see them in all those great small venues. Thoroughly enjoyed it, for Keith fans Jumping Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Woman particular stand out if anyone gets a chance to watch it. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Just the Charlie episode left to transmit. Of necessity, this could be something of a clip job. If that is acceptable, perhaps, somebody should assemble a fifth documentary to cover the fellow travellers from the Stones touring history. Ian Stewart, Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Ollie Brown, Chuck Leavell and, most of all, Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor.
    You're right, that would be worthwhile.  And Darryl Jones, he must have done nearly 30 years now.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    It's all over now.

Inevitably, the Charlie Watts episode was bitty, relying heavily on old film clips.

It would be nice if some other contributors to the band's story were given their due.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    I know someone who’s wife looks like Keith Richards. Ah sorry, misread the title.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom