Strongest and lightest wood for pedal board

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
edited July 2022 in Making & Modding
Am building myself a custom pedal board.
35x17 inches. The biggest pedal being a Helix LT.
What would would be the best choice?
I'll be cutting out some wood underneath the Helix and some of the pedals so save some weight as well as routing out slots for all the cables.
I'm going for two wedge shapes sides and a central wedge with a hole cut in it for cables.
Should I go for a solid floor or just have some struts. 
Also best way to mount the top to the sides for easy access? Was thinking of cupboard clips so I could take the top off if I need to rewire.

Electrics: I'm going to have all ins/ours as separate sockets on the side.
The biggest concern is the power plug. I was going to mount a kettle lead socket to the side with a 4 way mounted inside. How do I attach the 4 way to the kettle lead socket? Solder or clips and should I cover with some sort of insulating heat wrap?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 247
    I have no idea what you're on about but to answer the main question - plywood is the best strength to weight ration you'll get at any sensible price - although it's become a lot more expensive recently. And don't go for the really cheap stuff. It can be rubbish.

Good luck, whatever you're doing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Pine ply is quite light. Worth hunting out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1756
    tFB Trader
    Poplar plywood for lightweightness, one of its big uses these days is in camper conversion (due to its weight), maybe contact a local company who does those conversions and see if you can buy some scrap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom