Pantera Reunion Tour ... Wha the ...?

What's Hot
BezzerBezzer Frets: 626
Just read about this.  "Pantera to tour for the first time in 20 years".  Well I think there's a f***ing good reason for that, no?

Given that arguably the two most important members (un-arguably one) are dead isn't this just Anselmo's cover project changing name for the money?

Rumoured Zakk Wylde will be playing guitar, which is probably the only choice, but still.  I'm just baffled.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Zakk on guitar and Charlie Benante on drums, I believe that's now confirmed.

So it's not Anselmo's band changing name, but I think he has been playing a lot of Pantera material recently anyway. 

Maybe they should call it "a tribute to..." rather than actually going out as Pantera.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    Philly_Q said:

Where did you see that? Theres rumours but Rex has stated Zakk isnt involved. I thankfully saw Pantera 3 times, and itll stay 3. 

edited July 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Where did you see that? Theres rumours but Rex has stated Zakk isnt involved. I thankfully saw Pantera 3 times, and itll stay 3.  
    https://blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-zakk-wylde-and-charlie-benante-to-tour-with-panteras-surviving-members

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6948
    I really don’t know what to think about this.
    Wylde can surely play the parts, but can he play them in a way that doesn’t just sound like Zakk Wylde?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    This makes absolutely zero sense

I'm exactly the right age that Pantera were revolutionary when I got into metal and was was because of the drum grooves and insane guitar work. Without that there is simply no point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1072
    Yeah saw them on Vulgar and Driven tours - very conflicted about this ;)

Might still go see them...
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    I think you guys are underestimating Rex here he was truly the perfeft bassist for Pantera, and the way he locked in with vinnie was amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    I think you guys are underestimating Rex here he was truly the perfeft bassist for Pantera, and the way he locked in with vinnie was amazing. 
    When you could hear him.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It'll probably be a decent enough show, but it won't be Pantera. 

If you're going to see them and you know only two original members will be there, which two would you want it to be?  This is Van Halen with only Roth and Mike Anthony.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    Having read the article, it seems the members see it as a tribute to Pantera and a way of celebrating their music. They’ll never match the sound or fully capture what Dime and Vinnie created, but, unless they get it completely wrong, it might still be a decent enough way of hearing their music again. On the other hand, some things are best left alone. I’m leaning towards the latter.
    edited July 2022
    Saw Rex and Phil when they were in Down, which is the better band anyway.

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Not sure how I feel about this tbh.  It’ll be awesome, but calling it Pantera without Dime and Vinnie?

Kind of like Angus Young touring with Axl Rose and a backing band, and still calling it AC/DC.
    Cols said:
    Not sure how I feel about this tbh.  It’ll be awesome, but calling it Pantera without Dime and Vinnie?

Kind of like Angus Young touring with Axl Rose and a backing band, and still calling it AC/DC.
    True, but do we know what they are officially calling it yet?
    I agree it would be in poor taste to call it Pantera…Perhaps it will be billed as “A Celebration of Pantera” or some such.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    I remember when and where I was when I found out Dimebag was shot.  In some ways it was akin to John Lennon's death for their generation. Which is no way to compare them both as individuals, but it was the random and horrific nature of their deaths.

As for the potential reforming, if Phil 'White Power' Anselmo and Rex want to use the name, I imagine many of their old fans won't be delighted about it, but if they want to use the name I can't imagine many could stop them from doing so.

This makes absolutely zero sense

I'm exactly the right age that Pantera were revolutionary when I got into metal and was was because of the drum grooves and insane guitar work. Without that there is simply no point. 
    I don't think Pantera as a band and Dimebag now get the credit they deserve.  Aside from their thumbprint on 'groove metal' I remember stumbling across Dimebag's influence in some other places.  As a 13 year old I remember buying Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and hearing 'Where Boys Fear to Tread' and hearing the Dimebag on the guitar playing there.

IMO Dimebag is up there with the greatest of metal guitarists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    I was 17 when cowboys came out so probably too old for them, but I'd say that a massive part of what made them the band they were was the almost telepathic tightness of the brothers. Wylde is the opposite of Dimebag in terms of his playing style. 

It will sound very different but for people who want hear those songs? Why not?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    If Pink Floyd can tour without Roger Waters then I can't see a problem from a non musician fan point. As much as we can tell Zakk from Dimebag 75% of the non muso's probably can't if he plays it faithfully. 
    Drummer wise the Who played with no Keith and Led Zep with no Bonzo so again, it can be done. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom