Help! - I can't find a new backplate for G&L Tribute Legacy

What's Hot
Not sure if this is in the right place - I am really struggling to find a replacement backplate/cover for the electronics cavity on a G&L Legacy Tribute - attached pics if they help.  I have scoured the tinterweb, and coming up a loss.  I have ordered one I thought was right, but was too wide.  I need the one with the 6 screws, (2 x 3 inline & opposite, not offset) Measurements of length from centre of screw holes - 140mm in length, 63 mm wide) Any ideas where I might be able to find one to fit?  Any help hugely appreciated! :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Any decent tech should be able to make you one with the guitar in hand.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9017
    edited July 2022
    Welcome Ladysmithy.

It would actually be very easy (and cheaper) to make one for yourself.  Mine is single ply material and has one rectangular hole cut out below the trem block.  Excuse the crudely "drawn" diagram that is just a screenshot from Excel.

Dimensions are (A) 152mm long x (B) 77mm wide.
    The cutout is about (C) 63mm long (across the width of the plate) x (D) 20mm wide.
    The cutout is about 7mm in from either side of the plate (Y) and the bottom edge of the cutout is 19mm in from the bottom of the plate (X).
    Note that the centre of the corner screw heads are spaced about 140mm x 65 or 66mm on my trem cover plate, not 63mm as you have measured.  Double check or take this into account.

Get some greaseproof paper and draw outlines of these dimensions.  If you find something round with a diameter of 10 or 11mm you will be able to trace around it and create the rounded inside corners of the cutout and the external ones of the plate with a fairly good match to radius to mine.

Line it up over the trem cavity tyo ensure that it all matches properly and punch holes where the screw holes are.  This can now be easily traced onto single ply scratchplate material (leaving the protective film on) and sawn to the external size with a fine saw.  various grades of sandpaper on a block and then a razor blade as a scraper will allow you to make the sides absolutely straight and smooth, round the corners, and apply a bevel to the edges.

The cutout can be tricky, but if you have a 10mm diameter drill bit you could start at the corners and then use a junior hacksaw or fret saw to cut straight connecting lines between the holes just inside your traced line and then use files, sandpaper and a scraper to make it neater.

Lay your template back onto the new trem cover plate and mark the screw holes accurately.  Drill to the correct diameter and lightly countersink the holes using a hand-held drill bit of larger diameter carefully and slowly, or if you have a proper countersink bit all the better.

If you have used black plastic and it has ended up a bit scratched, T-Cut or similar should buff it back to a shine with a bit of elbow grease.

Blank scratchplate material is fairly easy to find online and in various sizes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I should also point out that it is not worthwhile even trying to contact G&L. You probably won't get an answer, and if you do they will simply tell you to contact one of their authorised UK distributors (Andertons, GuitarGuitar, or PMT).  For some reason instead of actually having a proper customer service for "support", their website will refer you to a G&L enthusiasts website/forum.  There's no doubt that there are a lot of members on that forum who know a lot about all the G&L models, but there's an equal number of know-it-all members that talk nonsense.  It's hardly customer support.
  • Many thanks for coming back to me and all the info   that's great
    Just for your info I have revisited the online stores where I have bought 3rd-party replacement scratchplates and back covers for guitars ranging from Yamaha Pacificas to genuine Fenders, but none of them have any that are advertised as being suitable for G&L guitars and the dimensions for Squier and Fender ones definitely don't match the G&L legacy tribute.  the nearset in terms of layout is a trem cover plate for "modern import" squier Strats.  They have the directly opposing middle screws and centralised rectangular cut-out, but the dimensions and screw centres are quite different.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    There's an ebay seller by name of Earlpilanz who makes custom scratchplates. 

I'm sure he could make one for you. 
  • Absolutely, this is the issue I have been finding..if the screws are opposite, then the dimensions are quite wrong. Thanks for the heads up of the eBay seller...that's great, will give them a message. Thanks all
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    edited July 2022
    There's an ebay seller by name of Earlpilanz who makes custom scratchplates. 

I'm sure he could make one for you. 
    Highly recommend this guy, he did an excellent job duplicating a guard I sent him, top quality work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/earlpilanz