SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Selling Advice - Been a Looong Time

What's Hot
Hi Folks,

Not sure this is the correct section (admin please move if there's a better place).

It's been a long time since I've been on here, I hope you are all good and doing well.

I'm potentially gonna offload a lot of gear. I started playing when I was 11 years old and am now 45 and barely play anymore so have amassed quite a bit as I got older and could afford things and heavily indulge in GAS.
I'll probably be selling quite a lot of pedals, 4 or 5 guitars, 3 or 4 amps etc. and that won't be half of it. I'll be keeping a few things for the times I do have a noodle or record something. I'd just be de-cluttering and using the funds to do something special for my Wifes 50th this year and would be very important to her. Might as well make use as the gear is just sat here. I'm currently getting an idea of fair prices.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice from those more in the know with selling as I don't know where to start these days.
I've not used eBay for years and it seems to be a den of thieves and problems now for sellers.
Is it better to sell on here?
Am I better selling in small batches as I have a feeling it will be quite difficult to manage the amount of items I have?
Anyone that's done a big offload like this your advice would be appreciated whether with selling on here or alternative methods.
Help avoiding scammers too would be great, what to look out for and so on

Many Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I was going to say, start by trying to sell it on here.  Then I looked at your profile and spotted that you're down the road from me, so I'm rather hoping that haven't got too much stuff to tempt me with  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicwolf said:
    I was going to say, start by trying to sell it on here.  Then I looked at your profile and spotted that you're down the road from me, so I'm rather hoping that haven't got too much stuff to tempt me with  ;)

Yeah maybe see here first and then stuff of no interest take the hit on eBay.
    The hardest bit is deciding which pedals to keep, gonna require a play test lol
    Where R u then?

Where R u then?
    Originally from Thelwall but these days living just over the boarder into St Helens (other side of Burtonwood).

• Musicwolf said:

Where R u then?
    Originally from Thelwall but these days living just over the boarder into St Helens (other side of Burtonwood).

Wow we are close - I'm in Great Sankey!

Musicwolf said:

Where R u then?

I'm going to regret this, I can tell.  Go on then, what are you thinking of selling (and for god's sake there better hadn't be a Rickenbacker in there)?
  • Musicwolf said:
    Musicwolf said:

Where R u then?

I'm going to regret this, I can tell.  Go on then, what are you thinking of selling (and for god's sake there better hadn't be a Rickenbacker in there)?
    Hey - I'm still going through everything and yet to decide but I can confirm there is no Rickenbacker

I can confirm there is no Rickenbacker

My Bank Manager will sleep soundly.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Waits for list.....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1077
    As others have said, you could try on here first, and also other platforms. For selling guitars and amps I use Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace. I have sold guitars on eBay in the past, but wouldn't risk it now. For pedals, I use Gumtree, FB Marketplace, and if stuff doesn't shift I use eBay as a last resort.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicwolf said:
    I can confirm there is no Rickenbacker

My Bank Manager will sleep soundly.

ha ha
  • spark240 said:
    Waits for list.....

Between work and a few things going on, its gonna take me a few days to whittle things down. I'll be back
  • As others have said, you could try on here first, and also other platforms. For selling guitars and amps I use Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace. I have sold guitars on eBay in the past, but wouldn't risk it now. For pedals, I use Gumtree, FB Marketplace, and if stuff doesn't shift I use eBay as a last resort.

Agreed, cheers and some good extra pointers so thanks for that. I'm gonna start here before anywhere else.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    eBay has been fine for me, I wait for the 80% off seller's fees promos though to list things. I use buy it now (no auction) and set an optimistic price with offers accepted. I set to automatically reject offers below my lowest price. Generally I get what I want

I will always prefer to sell on here though as a rule

Facebook can be okay but I tend to avoid it because of timewasters
  • roberty said:
    eBay has been fine for me, I wait for the 80% off seller's fees promos though to list things. I use buy it now (no auction) and set an optimistic price with offers accepted. I set to automatically reject offers below my lowest price. Generally I get what I want

I will always prefer to sell on here though as a rule

Facebook can be okay but I tend to avoid it because of timewasters
    Ahh right, I'll keep an eye for the eBay Promos.

I know what you mean with Facebook Marketplace, my wife had a period of using it a lot to de-clutter, the amount of people and no shows was insane. Something that should of been easy was hard work.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Funnily enough I sold two items via Facebook Marketplace recently: A Marshall Origin 20 head and a Positive Grid Spark. Both went within 48 hours to the first person to contact me about each and there was minimal haggling. It was all a bit surreal. I detest ebay, so sell either on here or through F'book. 

I get the feeling the cost of living issues are starting to nibble at people and it may not be the best time to sell, though good gear priced sensibly should always find a buyer. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• markjmarkj Frets: 911
    I'm in the same town as you!
  • McToot said:
    Funnily enough I sold two items via Facebook Marketplace recently: A Marshall Origin 20 head and a Positive Grid Spark. Both went within 48 hours to the first person to contact me about each and there was minimal haggling. It was all a bit surreal. I detest ebay, so sell either on here or through F'book. 

I get the feeling the cost of living issues are starting to nibble at people and it may not be the best time to sell, though good gear priced sensibly should always find a buyer. 

Cheers, yeah I'm gonna start here, then Facebook, the eBay final. It's gonna take me a while - lots of stuff and once I start selling I need to sell it all to fund the thing for my wife and make it worthwhile
  • markj said:
    I'm in the same town as you!

WOW - where abouts I'm in Great Sankey - u don't wanna by a job lot of gear do you lol?
  • markjmarkj Frets: 911
    Haresfinch.  St.Helens.
  • markj said:
    Haresfinch.  St.Helens.

Ahh just up the road