SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: apple MagSafe 1 charger

What's Hot
littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 656
edited July 2022 in Misc £
As title, trying to breathe some life into my old MacBook (A1181). The original charger has disappeared (used with a 2-1 adaptor with my later MacBook). I’ve got my eye on a few eBay listings, but I’d a fretboarder has one gathering dust then its always preferable to eBay!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 247
    Had a problem with my Macbook Pro that turned out to be the charger. Took it to the Apple shop in Liverpool aad they pointed out that the charger was a non-apple one. I bit the bullet and bought the Apple version. Not cheap, just under £80.00 and the Macbook got a health check. No problems since.
  • Had a problem with my Macbook Pro that turned out to be the charger. Took it to the Apple shop in Liverpool aad they pointed out that the charger was a non-apple one. I bit the bullet and bought the Apple version. Not cheap, just under £80.00 and the Macbook got a health check. No problems since.
    Yes I think this MacBook is old enough that £80 is worth more than the laptop! But I rather doubt they sell MagSafe 1 chargers anymore. I don't mind if the charger is non-apple or if the cable is a bit frayed, the main thing is just to get it running enough to see if it works, if it's still usable etc. If it's behaving itself I'll either use it for a bit of OSX abandonware gaming, otherwise it'll go on eBay for spares.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    The Magsafe charger is a very clever bit if tech. That's actually a 16 bit microprocessor in it that tells the laptop how much current it can provide and when to start drawing it. The serial number of the charger is also in the chip. You look at it and it looks dangerous with the exposed pins but only micro amps are  there until it's connected to the motherboard and 2 current sense resistors pull it low, then it knows it's connected and if not too low, like a short circuit it begins charging. You notice when you connect it to your Macbook it takes a second or 2 for all this to happen then it starts to charge. 

All that actual tech is in the actual Magsafe end bit .. you can connect the ground and hot to a normal 20V laptop charger and it will work. 

So they aren't cheap but there's a lot going on, far more than a normal laptop charger. You could have a situation where there's a cap shorted on the board. A real Apple charger will sense the short and sit idle. A fake one won't and could turn a simple £50 board fix into a £200 replacement board job. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    I've got one from a 2013 MacBook Air that you could have, but not sure it would deliver enough juice for a MacBook Pro?
  • Stuckfast said:
    I've got one from a 2013 MacBook Air that you could have, but not sure it would deliver enough juice for a MacBook Pro?
    Thanks pal - you're right, I think it would struggle. I didn't have much luck using a MagSafe 2 MacBook air charger with my usual MacBook pro.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20608
    edited August 2022
    @littlethoughts   Oops, I missed this one.

Would an early 85 Watt MagSafe (metal 'L' tip) be of use to you?
    The soft touch plastic 
    flexible covering on the cable run to the connector is disintegrating & frankly it looks a real bloody mess (common), but it does still work OK to charge a MacBook Pro A1286, so it should work for an A1181.
    Drop me a PM if you are interested  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom