Varitone switch

What's Hot
So a few months back I bought a cheap Harley Benton tele to rob some bits (bridge / pickups etc) off for a 3d printed telecaster body.  Move on a few weeks later and far down a you tube rabbit hole, I decided that the remaining neck and body could be put to use, and I wanted to try some new things.

So a pair of Guild Dynasonic pickups, a cheap bigsby copy,  a delux thinline pickguard and some routing later, I had to decide what to do with the 4 holes on the pickguard. I went for.  Volume, Tone, Toggle switch and a Varitone control. 

After the initial wiring and playing with a capacitance decade box, I selected 5 Cap values that gave a difference in tone. Followed what little wiring suggestions I could find on the internet and after playing with a few pot values (there are mixed views on what value to use, so I went for personal preference 500ks) and the guitar is mostly where I would like it.

The problem I have is the Varitone switch only really seems to make any difference when the tone is rolled back to 2-3 or lower. I am liking the tones I am getting when playing with it, but anything over 3 on the tone knob and there is no difference in sound. Is this normal?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    What value inductor did you use?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    edited July 2022
    Is the Vari-Tone circuitry in parallel with the other controls or in series?

The action of a Vari-Tone depends in part on whether its preset selections are bleeding treble, cutting bass or some combination of the two to act as a band pass filter.

EDIT: Do you have a treble bypass network across the input and output terminals of the volume pot?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 89
    Inductor?  The diagram I used had the caps going from the middle of the rotary switch to one of the contacts, the a live going from the middle of the switch to middle leg on the tone knob, then the outer leg of the tone going to the outer leg of the volume, then off to the toggle switch, with the middle leg on volume going to the output jack, with all necessary grounding wires.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    edited July 2022
    WBT2079 said:
    Inductor?  The diagram I used had the caps going from the middle of the rotary switch to one of the contacts, the a live going from the middle of the switch to middle leg on the tone knob, then the outer leg of the tone going to the outer leg of the volume, then off to the toggle switch, with the middle leg on volume going to the output jack, with all necessary grounding wires.
    In that case it’s just a tone cap value selector and not a proper varitone, and it will only make a noticeable difference when the tone control is turned down.

You may also have a linear or 30% taper log pot, whereas you really need a true 10% log for a tone control to give an even change throughout the turn.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2022 tFB Trader
    What you have is a treble cut circuit, so it will do pretty much the same as your tone control.

A Gibson style Varitone uses an inductor and capacitor matrix to cut the signal at various frequencies.

EDIT: Do you have a treble bypass network across the input and output terminals of the volume pot?
    No there’s no treble bypass on it.

also just for confirmation there’s no cap on the tone pot itself either.
    What you have is a treble cut circuit, so it will do pretty much the same as your tone control.

A Gibson style Varitone uses an inductor and capacitor matrix to cut the signal at various frequencies.
    ICBM said:
    WBT2079 said:
    In that case it’s just a tone cap value selector and not a proper varitone, and it will only make a noticeable difference when the tone control is turned down.

You may also have a linear or 30% taper log pot, whereas you really need a true 10% log for a tone control to give an even change throughout the turn.

Thanks both, do either of you know any good wiring diagrams, that would help me create a proper varitone?
    tFB Trader
    Details of the Gibson circuit are here
    Thanks