What is Causing Fret Buzz.

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
On the G String on 9th fret and A string on the 7th fret and ever so slightly on the A String at 15th fret.

Every other notes rings out fine and the fret buzz on the G (9th fret) is worse than the fret buzz on the A (7th fret). Degree of Buzz on G string varies due to temperature I guess, but it always buzzes to some extent as does the A (7th fret).

It's a 70's Classic Vibe Precision. It's always done it since I bought it, but I've only just got round to writing this post. I'm playing the Bass more now and it's irritating.

I'm no Luthier but the neck doesn't look twisted to me. Action on the Bass is maybe just a smidge to the high side but very playable. Neck relief doesn't look extreme.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Fret buzz (or rattle) occurs when the metal wrap of a vibrating string comes into physical contact with another fret further up the fingerboard. 

Short explanation - a few of your frets are either lifting from the fingerboard or they were never properly levelled to begin with.

A fret rocker tool will reveal which frets are protruding and where. 

It is possible that the materials in the neck are substandard and, hence, excessively flexible.

Indonesian-made Squier Classic Vibe instruments are, essentially, are rebadging of the earlier Vintage Modified series and the Standard series before that. I sometimes find that the necks of these cannot cope with heavier string gauges. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It does sound like uneven fretting. The only other real possibility - given that two of the notes are Es - is some sort of odd resonance, but there's a third one which is not an E so I doubt it's that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Thanks guys. Don't know whether it's worth taking it to Jon Shuker for a set up with it being just a Squier. I'm looking at getting a better Bass anyway, so may part ex it and let the shop deal with it.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7041
    edited July 2022
    If it looks good, feels good, sounds good apart from the isolated fret buzzes, and you feel that you would play it a lot if the buzzes were fixed, then the fact that it is "just a Squier" should make not difference to the decision about getting it looked at and the fretwork addressed if tat turns out to be the issue.  I can understand that you might wonder whether it is worthwhile spending about a quarter to a third of the cost of the bass on fret levelling and crowning, but unless you can do this type of thing yourself and if you have to raise the action to an uncomfortable eight to reduce or eliminate the buzzes, then you would be stuck with an instrument that is always going to be an annoyance.  Maybe a part-exchange for a "better" bass could be the easiest solution but it might be a good idea to play your choice of new bass in person, check for buzzes, and make sure that the shop hasn't raised the action to hide fret buzzing on that.  it can happen even on more expensive guitars and basses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    I play with a really low action, it’s one of the first things I check when I get any bass ,if I can    , sometimes your not able to check if your buying from far away,   if it doesn’t go low on a setup it goes out the door, if you’re looking at upgrading anyway I would put the money towards your next bass and not spend it on a fret level , a part ex sounds like a good idea and it’s always exiting getting a new bass  =)
    Riddim up
    If the Squier bass has unresolved fret height issues, it could prove difficult to sell privately.

When trading in at a shop, the buzzes  could cause them to reduce their valuation of your Squier. Even if the shop has an in-house tech capable of remedying the problem(s), that has to be factored into their monetary calculations.
    Be seeing you.
    If the Squier bass has unresolved fret height issues, it could prove difficult to sell privately.

When trading in at a shop, the buzzes  could cause them to reduce their valuation of your Squier. Even if the shop has an in-house tech capable of remedying the problem(s), that has to be factored into their monetary calculations.
    True, I may take it to Mr Shuker. I like the Bass, it's colour and style and sound and feel. Just thinking that I got it in November so tis is it's first summer, so to speak and with the temps we've had, this is probably a bit of a shift as it wasn't as annoying before.

I do want a good Jazz Bass though, so will end up with both P & J.
    What would be classed as Heavier Gauge Strings @Funkfingers I assume the stock strings are on it, but I also bought a set of Dunlop 45/105 to eventually replace them.
    For standard tuning on the old "soft maple" bodied Squier VM Jazz Bass, I habitually used D'Addario .040-.095 sets.

On your Squier, .045-.105 is what I would choose for DGCF or C#F#BE tuning.
    Be seeing you.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited August 2022
    How old are those strings though?

Sometimes, with low action, rust can build up on old strimgs, increasing diameter and making you think you have a fret problem when, in fact, you only need new strings

Admittedly, this is more guitar/acoustic. 
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 263
    edited September 2022
    It's pretty normal for a bass to need a trip to the luthier to get it singing properly.  Over the years, I have had ten basses:

Two Hohners
    One Carvin
    Three Fenders
    Two Yamahas
    One Status Graphite
    One Warwick 

The only one that worked properly straight off the shelf was the Warwick.  

Maybe I am just unlucky, but a bass is pushing the electric guitar concept a long way and those long heavy necks with heavy strings need a bit of precision.  With a small 'p'.

If your intention is to have a working relationship with the instrument, rather than use it as a step on the way to something else, it's not something you will regret, whatever the bass cost and whatever the name on the headstock.  

If you are going to sell it anyway, never mind.
    edited October 2022
    It's pretty normal for a bass to need a trip to the luthier to get it singing properly.  Over the years, I have had ten basses:

Two Hohners
    One Carvin
    Three Fenders
    Two Yamahas
    One Status Graphite
    One Warwick 

The only one that worked properly straight off the shelf was the Warwick.  

Maybe I am just unlucky, but a bass is pushing the electric guitar concept a long way and those long heavy necks with heavy strings need a bit of precision.  With a small 'p'.

If your intention is to have a working relationship with the instrument, rather than use it as a step on the way to something else, it's not something you will regret, whatever the bass cost and whatever the name on the headstock.  

If you are going to sell it anyway, never mind.
    Forgot to update the thread. I had it in at Jon Shuker's place recently and it is a much better Bass now. It had some loose frets apparently and frets weren't level which is no surprise. I've also had a Hi-Mass bridge put on it. Very nice to play now.

You're luck with Basses sounds like my Luck with Guitars. I've always had some issue that I needed to sort or the Guitar needed to be sent to Luthier to be set up better.
  • Shuker is such a great builder.

He'd definitely be on my short list if I wanted a money-no-object custom.
  • Shuker is such a great builder.

He'd definitely be on my short list if I wanted a money-no-object custom.
    Yep, I'm quite lucky having someone like him that close to me. He's dead handy for regular Guitar set ups too. He seems to be passing on his skills as well, couple of different guys I've seen there when I've been.
  • PALPAL Frets: 515
    edited September 2022
    As mentioned this is common on the lower end guitars & basses. If you like the bass get a tech to sort it out if it's uneven frets
      they just need to be levelled etc. then you shouldn't have any further problems !