Best way to deepen pickup routes?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    ICBM said:
    (Edit) Doh... ignore that, you're going to hang them from the pickguard instead of body-mounting them like a JM. :)
    Not sure what you wrote but yes that is the plan!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’m feeling vaguely ok with it, so here we are. 

First “route”. Not perfect and I drilled a little too far, but not terrible for a first go. 

And by the time I got to the 4th and most difficult one, I was actually quite ok. Still not perfect but I’m rather happy with it. 

I need to do more “making hobbies”

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9016
     ... which has me wondering if I can just remove a couple of mm just from under the legs with some chunky sandpaper or even my old Dremel with just a grinding attachment.
    That's exactly what I did on a guitar the other day.  It's actually fairly neat.  You don't need a whole lot of speed and as long as you support it with both hands and wedge the guitar securely you should be able to control it well enough to do an acceptable job.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    That looks pretty neat & tidy to me - and as it's all hidden by the scratchplate anyway, that'll do nicely
    :+1:
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    That looks pretty neat & tidy to me - and as it's all hidden by the scratchplate anyway, that'll do nicely
    :+1:
    Yeah, I'm happy enough, and I've retained the height in the middle section so I should be able to fit JM pickups later if I ever want to. 

The perfectionist in me is probably going to go back and tidy up the first 2 just a smidge now I've got the hang of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2022

The perfectionist in me is probably going to go back and tidy up the first 2 just a smidge now I've got the hang of it. 
    When I was a kid with 2 brothers my Mum used to cut our hair. She had been a proper hairdresser for years.  When she ended up having a back operation and was in hospital for several weeks my Dad decided to tidy up our hair before he took us to visit her, probably thinking to himself "how hard can it be?"  Well ..... you know how, when you are doing the edges of your lawn and you go a bit crooked, you go back to even it out .... and go a little bit crooked again ... ?  Before you know it you have a castle moat around your lawn.  Clearly my Dad did a bit too much "evening up" and we ended up with bowl cuts like inbreds just down from the Appalacians.  Before you go trying to "tidy up" your deepened routs just remember this story 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @BillDL ahaha! I will be very careful.

In any case I'm off to Riyadh in a couple of hours so no chance to look at this again until at least the weekend
    If it's work I hope it's not too intense.  If it's pleasure I hope you enjoy it.
    BillDL said:
    If it's work I hope it's not too intense.  If it's pleasure I hope you enjoy it.
    It's always work - no-one goes to Riyadh for leisure!! :D 

Big meetings with some client CEOs. Nothing I can't handle but I don't have time for the travel bullshit this week..

A mate of mine from way back at school does.  He has a young Arabic boyfriend from just outside Riyadh and they pop over there regularly to see his family.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BillDL said:

A mate of mine from way back at school does.  He has a young Arabic boyfriend from just outside Riyadh and they pop over there regularly to see his family.
    That is not a set of words you see in one sentence very often! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom