Strat size lipstick pickups for Mustang guitar?

What's Hot
Hi all. I am thinking of sticking a set of strat size lipstick pickups into a Mustang. They are pretty pricey per pickup, just as well I only need 2, or I could go neck only :) 

Are the GFS ones any good? Very cheap. Other options all seem similarly priced, over a hundred quid at least per pickup.

Is there an "in between" brand I am missing? e.g. I have seen GFS, Seymour Duncan, Mojotone, Novak etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    If you only require one, for the neck position, somebody on here was listing a Lace Sensor Chrome Dome. (No affiliation.) This would give you the look but not the tone. The Lace three wire format would work equally well with stock Mustang phase reversal switching or with a series/parallel modification.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you only require one, for the neck position, somebody on here was listing a Lace Sensor Chrome Dome. (No affiliation.) This would give you the look but not the tone. The Lace three wire format would work equally well with stock Mustang phase reversal switching or with a series/parallel modification.
    I should have mentioned, if I go for 2, it will just be standard 3 way switch, but I will check out the Lace as well!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    If going for 2 lipsticks you really need the danelectro option with them in series when on together
  • WezV said:
    If going for 2 lipsticks you really need the danelectro option with them in series when on together
    I will go for 2 for sure I think on reflection.
  • In the cheap and cheerful category there are a couple by Artec - probably not tonally that accurate as they have quite a high DCR and A5 or ceramic magnets depending on the model.
  • It'll be a partscaster anyhow, Mustang body with a JM trem and lipstick pickups, would be something different for me anyhow.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    THINKS: The Squier Vintage Modified series used to include a Surf Stratocaster model. Three Duncan Designed Strat-sized Danelectro style pickups in an otherwise regular Stratocaster.

It is possible that some owners swapped out the stock DuncDes LS-102 pickups and still have them stashed away.

My recollection is that these sounded slightly weak and annoyingly bright in a regular SSS Stratocaster wiring harness. Probably goes to show how important the series interconnection option is.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.