Poopot's Cover Challenge #20 - the letter G

What's Hot
flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
edited August 2022 in Making Music
Welcome to the 20th Cover Challenge, and the inaugural Poopot's Cover Challenge

The rules are simple - there are no rules*

So I fired up the Ouija board and made contact with the winner of our last challenge, @poopot ;;;;.

It took a while, as he was serving out a 72 hour bellend no communication ban as a result of repeatedly visting Paul Reed Smith in the middle of the night to tell him that tonewood isn't a thing for electric guitars, but he has spoken and he has chosen a track:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper

If that's not your bag, and let's be honest it seems he is still trolling us all, then you can record any track starting with the letter G

But… if you cover the chosen track you will automatically receive a bonus 5pts as a head start…

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might subliminally get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Friday  23rd September 2022... get onto it!!!!

A playlist of all the entries will also be posted below and in the voting thread. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Right I've sent in my first track for this letter ... I'll try Girls Just Wanna Have Fun later.  This will get the ball rolling, and I needed something cathartic.

Warning : Swearing, there is swearing.  And I guess I should put a trigger warning on it too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    The chosen track is truly awful. I cannot stand it!! 
    As is the case these days, I don't think I will have time to contribute, again........gah
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Snap said:
    The chosen track is truly awful. I cannot stand it!! 

I kinda think that's the point (although I actually like it, but hey :) ).
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    So I fired up the Ouija board and made contact with the winner of our last challenge, @poopot ;;;.

Love it! 
    :)

edited August 2022
    I've added a cover of mine to the playlist. You'll be pleased to learn it's not the chosen track

You might be less pleased if you're a Chris Isaak fan
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've added a cover of mine to the playlist. You'll be pleased to learn it's not the chosen track

A-May-Zing!!
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248

Brilliant!
    Thanks guys. I don't think I've ever used so much reverb - probably more than I use in a normal year..

FWIW all guitars were recorded with a jazz-tastic PRS Tremonti SE and a Boss GT-001.

And cheers to @Bezzer for very kindly providing shaker samples
    Thanks guys. I don't think I've ever used so much reverb - probably more than I use in a normal year..

I think I'm about to beat you on that front with the one i'm working on now.  As a hardline minimal reverb fella it's hurting my brain a bit!
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 741

That is brilliant. Nice one

FWIW all guitars were recorded with a jazz-tastic PRS Tremonti SE and a Boss GT-001.

And cheers to @Bezzer for very kindly providing shaker samples

I usually apply the reverb in the DAW, but I find it a bit of a mystery. It has a preset something like Room 1sec and I'll think I can barely hear it, but Room 1.5sec sounds like a canyon.
    Habanero said:

I usually apply the reverb in the DAW, but I find it a bit of a mystery. It has a preset something like Room 1sec and I'll think I can barely hear it, but Room 1.5sec sounds like a canyon.

I find the best way is to use a reverb bus in my DAW.

There are lots of good tutorials but the principle is that you set up a track with a little bit more reverb than you need. You then route any tracks needing reverb to the reverb bus and you can then control the amount each track receives. Normally I have most tracks around -12 dB up to -6dB  whereas this one was so much more it was giving me serious anxiety!

I think the best description of the approach with reverb is not to use your ears to listen for the effect, or by looking at the settings, but instead adjust it until each track, and the whole mix, "feels right"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes I'm using buses since I switched from Garageband to Logic. Now I'm thinking maybe I should experiment with bigger reverbs with a lower send level. This probably isn't helped by my liking for '80s power ballads!
    edited August 2022
    Habanero said:
    Yes I'm using buses since I switched from Garageband to Logic. Now I'm thinking maybe I should experiment with bigger reverbs with a lower send level. This probably isn't helped by my liking for '80s power ballads!
    You'd better get it sorted. You're only a few months away from the letter I I I I I I I I I I Should Have Known Better....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    In a fit of productivity I've sent in another one.  Don't worry, it's still not the selected track ha ha ... I might get to that one too.

Bit of background on this one as I did it a bit differently.  I wanted it to feel less rigid so I recorded a full take just acoustic and voice ... had a 4 count so I didn't rush but then the click dropped ... I would no longer have a grid!  Then I recorded everything over my roughed out version before eventually deleting that sketch.  The result it's all a bit more loose but I quite like it.

Also meant I could not do ANY cut and paste, had to play every drum on the keyboard, could program nothing. Was quite fun.

Oh, and after months of doing very high vocals I went for the complete other end of my register so I sound REALLY different.  I promise it's me though!  I really hope you like it, I'm unusually pleased with it given it's a recording of me!
    Give us a clue what it is, in the absence of it reaching the play list...

My attempt is now awaiting me being able to record the vocals. Trouble is, if the weather is hot I don't want to have to shut the windows so the neighbours don't hear!
    edited August 2022
    Habanero said:
    Give us a clue what it is, in the absence of it reaching the play list...

Where's the fun in that? 

Little known track by a Seattle legend
    Have you definitely sent it @Bezzer ?

It's not in my inbox and I sent my own test to confirm the covers address is working fine
    Yup, says sent to covers@thefretboard.co.uk ... will forward it directly to you.